First time cooking pork butt hot and fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr rat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
So I had no plans to smoke anything on Father’s Day but after my wife family and friends were asking what was on the grill.

I thought about about just grabbing some steaks. My buddy text me a picture of 2 butts he had on the grill I’m like pulled pork sounds good and will let me try the hot and fast method.

So ran to Costco real quick grabbed a 2 pack of butts, a tray of Mac and cheese and Scallop potatoes (feeling lazy)

So rubbed it up real quick let it sit then on the smoker for 1 hour at 225 then bumped up to 275
4D8837F5-3D8B-4541-A0DF-5525443EC73D.jpeg
till it hit 165 then in a pan wrapped at 300 took about 6 total hours and I let it rest for an hour.
65B2934A-8D73-4A18-B7E0-625838AD3359.png

Came out great tender juicy definitely will be cooking them this way from now on.
Sorry for the long post
Mike
CCB7A893-5F0B-4D84-A03A-BEB0EF25DA7C.jpeg
A4DE7E5F-7578-4C16-BC7D-87B695217987.jpeg
46F310AA-22C1-4C51-96F8-B72EB92E93E6.jpeg
8BB32CC2-E671-442D-8B34-716EEB3FA01A.jpeg

Last edited:
Really the only way to do butts and brisket is hot and fast.

I did the low and slow thing for years because, well, that's how everyone else was doing it. There really is no difference in the finished product by going hot and fast, it just gets done sooner and pretty much eliminates overnight cooks.

Looks perfect...nice job! I always cook them at 275 and they come out great

Reactions: dr rat
Nice. Were those bone-in? Do you recall what they weighed? What temp did you pull them?

So that was 6 hours total, then 1 hour rest?

I haven't smoked any butts in the last few years. Hard to believe but I just got tired of pulled pork. But I'm thinking about getting back to it and definitely like the idea of that time frame

It's really the only way I do butts now. Boneless cooks in no time at 275.
I agree

everything looks great, as you found out I dont think butts care about cooking temps.
Thank you

Bingo nice work...proof is in the pudding as you just found out....no need for a potential overnight issue!
Thank you No 3 or 4 in the morning checks
It the only way to roll!! Briskets too.

PP looks great!
Thanks I’ll have to try it with the brisket also I haven’t done that yet
Mike

Very nice! It's ok to be lazy at times .

Ryan
Yeah I just didn’t feel like doing a lot of prep cooking and that Costco mac & cheese is pretty darn good and easy
Mike

Looks like it turned out great. Nice work 👍
Thank you

Really the only way to do butts and brisket is hot and fast.

I did the low and slow thing for years because, well, that's how everyone else was doing it. There really is no difference in the finished product by going hot and fast, it just gets done sooner and pretty much eliminates overnight cooks.
Low and slow is the only way I’ve done it before it’s been a while since I did pulled pork but I’d read about the hot and fast for a while so it was a perfect opportunity to try certainly glad I did
Mike

That turned out beautiful!
Thank you

Looks perfect...nice job! I always cook them at 275 and they come out great
Thank you Yep I’ll be cooking them this way from now on

Looks good!

Jim
Thanks Jim
Mike

Well done! Looks great!
Thank you

Looks like that turned out perfect!

Nice work!

- Jason
thanks Jason
Mike

Looks good to me and I agree with 275-300 method! Speedy cook and same great results.

Keith
Thanks Keith
I agree

Reactions: DougE
Nice. Were those bone-in? Do you recall what they weighed? What temp did you pull them?

So that was 6 hours total, then 1 hour rest?

I haven't smoked any butts in the last few years. Hard to believe but I just got tired of pulled pork. But I'm thinking about getting back to it and definitely like the idea of that time frame
Boneless came in a 2 pack. Weight of the package was 15lb so I would guess 7-8 lb each.
6 hours on the smoker and 1 hour rest.
It seemed to work great for me half the time and came out really good.
Mike

Reactions: chef k-dude
So I had no plans to smoke anything on Father’s Day but after my wife family and friends were asking what was on the grill.

I thought about about just grabbing some steaks. My buddy text me a picture of 2 butts he had on the grill I’m like pulled pork sounds good and will let me try the hot and fast method.

So ran to Costco real quick grabbed a 2 pack of butts, a tray of Mac and cheese and Scallop potatoes (feeling lazy)

So rubbed it up real quick let it sit then on the smoker for 1 hour at 225 then bumped up to 275 View attachment 699007till it hit 165 then in a pan wrapped at 300 took about 6 total hours and I let it rest for an hour.
View attachment 699008
Came out great tender juicy definitely will be cooking them this way from now on.
Sorry for the long post
Mike
View attachment 699009View attachment 699010View attachment 699011View attachment 699012
Hi there and welcome!

Also, congrats on joining the hot and fast club here hahaha. That pork butt looks great and I bet everything turned out amazing :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky