Throwing Y'all a Surf-n-Turf Curve Ball

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Here I go throwing y'all a Surf-n-Turf curve ball.
I bring you two rabbits wet brined for 16 hours, stuffed with herbs and aromatics, wrapped in bacon and finally rubbed with my Chile's Chicken Rub, and topping it off with two links of spicy Cajun Crawfish Boudin.

First I stuffed the rabbits with fresh sage, garlic, bell pepper and green onion.
then I wrapped them in thin cut bacon and seasoned with my chicken rub, trussed them up to hold the bacon and keep the stuffings in.
Smoked for two hours at 240°, turning them hourly, and then kicked the heat up to 275° to crisp the bacon.
Finished temp was 165° in the hind quarters.

The Boudin, which was so very tasty, also went to an IT of 160°.
I ate one link waiting on the rabbits to finish.

Once the rabbit was done we ate them off the tray, tearing their tender carcasses apart in a Wild Kingdom like display of savagery.

PpXLFiRl.jpg
btuDYf2l.jpg
3RlejrPl.jpg
w89bagfl.jpg
WpygXyel.jpg
vk3Rs6il.jpg
nmUDrLvl.jpg
ig9I9Ajl.jpg
h32LQAZl.jpg
n76oADKl.jpg

I bring you two rabbits wet brined for 16 hours, stuffed with herbs and aromatics, wrapped in bacon and finally rubbed with my Chile's Chicken Rub, and topping it off with two links of spicy Cajun Crawfish Boudin.

First I stuffed the rabbits with fresh sage, garlic, bell pepper and green onion.
then I wrapped them in thin cut bacon and seasoned with my chicken rub, trussed them up to hold the bacon and keep the stuffings in.
Smoked for two hours at 240°, turning them hourly, and then kicked the heat up to 275° to crisp the bacon.

Once the rabbit was done we ate them off the tray, tearing their tender carcasses apart in a Wild Kingdom like display of savagery.

View attachment 663072
View attachment 663073
View attachment 663074
View attachment 663075
View attachment 663076
View attachment 663077
View attachment 663078
View attachment 663079
View attachment 663080
View attachment 663081
Mmm that looks fantastic! :D

Reactions: chilerelleno
Oh yeah! Thats on my list! Ryder has a whole mini barn of market rabits😊 love seeing recipes to use them up!
Guess I need to get on making some crawfish boudin!
Thanks Travis,
I was full of ideas and recipes for the rabbits.
Wild rice and mushroom stuffed was a contender.
Fried with gravy another.
Thought about an authentic Hasenpfeffer, but not enough time once it came to mind.

Can't go wrong with the crawfish boudin, just make it spicy!

Thanks Travis,
I was full of ideas and recipes for the rabbits.
Wild rice and mushroom stuffed was a contender.
Fried with gravy another.
Thought about an authentic Hasenpfeffer, but not enough time once it came to mind.

Can't go wrong with the crawfish boudin, just make it spicy!
Rabbit has such a better texture than chicken in my opinion.....and just as versatile ...I've done mushroom risotto stuffed before. When I butcher ours for our own I take the loin out along with all the flap down the rib cage and belly. Not something you can do with wild rabbit but with the domestics there's plenty of meat to do that with. It makes for a fantastic playing field for stuffing. I should really do a thread on how I cut my rabbits up because it's not anywhere close to the norm...
As far as that sausage goes....Ryder and I love spicy!... Little guy Knox on the other hand cant handle it! Lol.... Thats ok... Wr can just stuff some rice and crawfish tails in his!

Rabbit has such a better texture than chicken in my opinion.....and just as versatile ...I've done mushroom risotto stuffed before. When I butcher ours for our own I take the loin out along with all the flap down the rib cage and belly. Not something you can do with wild rabbit but with the domestics there's plenty of meat to do that with. It makes for a fantastic playing field for stuffing. I should really do a thread on how I cut my rabbits up because it's not anywhere close to the norm...
As far as that sausage goes....Ryder and I love spicy!... Little guy Knox on the other hand cant handle it! Lol.... Thats ok... Wr can just stuff some rice and crawfish tails in his!
Yes please Travis, I'd like to see your method.

De-boning either the whole rabbit or just the saddle does make for great stuffing opportunities.
Here is one I posted,

• Love
Reactions: Sowsage

View attachment 663072
View attachment 663073
View attachment 663074
View attachment 663075
View attachment 663076
View attachment 663077
View attachment 663078
View attachment 663079
View attachment 663080
View attachment 663081
Dang! That should be illegal!

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky