Throwing the garden in the smoker for a salsa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
So, if you garden, hopefully you understand. I have reached the time of year when I am struggling with what to do with the harvest from the garden. Don’t get me wrong, I love all the fresh veggies and I try very hard to put them to good use. I have involved them in meals for months, I have canned, pickled, vac-sealed, frozen, grilled, and baked veggies. I have given them to friends and co-workers, and some to the chickens.
So today I was planning to smoke a pork butt…I decided to throw a bunch of veggies into the smoker with the butt to see what kind of a salsa I could pull off with minimal processing.
C0C98E20-EFE9-4361-AD45-55F8BE178D5A.jpeg

Here is the spread from this week.
9C9229FB-D629-4163-A8B9-1BF8CA3421B6.jpeg

I sorted and processed them a bit
FCA410D3-E3B7-4861-B2D6-15664F2EB391.jpeg

And into the vertical stack of the offset stick burner they all went. The pork butt was in the horizontal chamber. Temperatures were in the mid 200s for the pork, lower 200s for the veggies. I used mostly fruit woods.
C018B51B-C4AA-4D36-B9C7-54A4ABD09B8D.jpeg

After an hour of seeing smoke, I wrapped up all the veggies and let them roast.
AC7410A1-ADBF-4DA1-B94E-60A9647C94F0.jpeg

They stayed in about 6 hours till the butt hit the stall. I pulled the veggies and shifted the butt into a slow cooker for an easy finish.
F5F4E4C3-C6E0-4CA2-B8AC-DB6EEC5484EE.jpeg

The veggies went into a blender. I added about 6 cloves of roasted garlic, salt, and pepper. The squash was vac-sealed for later. A few pulses in the blender and I have a full quart of some of the best salsa I have ever eaten! I know I probably can’t recreate it, but it has a nice level of smoke and was very easy to make. It’s just another idea I will toss out to all the others trying to figure out what to do with the veggies. Thanks.

Looks great! Salsa is on yh back burner and has been awhile. Think I need to move it forward.

Reactions: chp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky