Idaho grown surf and smoked & seared prime turf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome meal there I sure could pull my chair up for that.

Warren
Thanks Warren, your chair would be welcome anytime for sure
The crawfish merry go round would be a good picture for the rotator. View attachment 676467
Much appreciated broke! It was a rotating bowl of flavor!
Oh my,, that should have a Labor Day label on there civilsmoker civilsmoker .
That plate is a beauty !
Thanks winter, it came a few days late as it was a fun cook for sure!
Congrats on the rotator ride.
Many thanks broke for 3rd time!

This pic. here......

2201ae0c-4063-4d2d-a7f3-94c864b293aa-jpeg.jpg

....cajun roulette!! LOL!!!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Wow! That looks fantastic! That meal would make me feel right at home. How deep were the traps set? And how long did you let them soak? Ran them once or multiple times?

Edit: Wow, that's pretty dang good for only a 4.5 hour soak!
Thanks swamp!

40 feet one set 2pm to 6:30pm. Water surface temp 67 deg. It was also at the edge of a shelf…..just 50 feet further out was 90 feet and the self was about 100 feet to the rock edge slope……

I was expecting a dozen or so…..not more than a 100! But it’s the end of wakeboard season so not much fishen going on….. we braved the huge wakes!

Reactions: indaswamp
Well since we pounded most of the TT last night the wife “suggested” I peel another batch to add to her mac & cheese…… so round two…. I had the cleaned bowl of tails and claws, yes they were full of meat, already for a pic and as I turned to grab my phone to take a pic I spied them being put in the mac…..so only have the finished pic….
F7AEE8EA-DCA3-4C99-B9B8-17C8C48A2879.jpeg

Oh man heaven!
92513F3E-97F8-4C0C-9839-79B93DA6D4D5.jpeg

Just a close up of one of the last bites…..
633B1875-2E2D-4172-AB1F-41142C6684E5.jpeg

Currently in a food comma!

Last edited:
Are those "Rusty Crayfish" that I have been reading about?

OK don't laugh - I've never tasted a crayfish - do they taste like shrimp?

The meals look killer delicious.

Are those "Rusty Crayfish" that I have been reading about?

OK don't laugh - I've never tasted a crayfish - do they taste like shrimp?

The meals look killer delicious.
Thanks RS!

Nope not the “Rusty’s”. Although those have been found in Wyoming…..just hope they stay away….

These are Signal Crayfish…. (See the pic below)

The tails taste like butter poached eastern lobster…. The claws taste like sweet tanner crab knuckle…. They are magic!!!!

Just look at this close up, no rust spot on the body or black tip claws…..
39D058E1-0F5C-4408-8E4C-2D20163E3D90.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! That looks fantastic! That meal would make me feel right at home. How deep were the traps set? And how long did you let them soak? Ran them once or multiple times?

Edit: Wow, that's pretty dang good for only a 4.5 hour soak!
We think alike. My first thought was - they got them in Idaho? My second - wonder if they have to soak them as they look clean as all get out. I think my hangup on mudbugs is that I had to eat a lot of dirty ones as a kid. I've eaten plenty of tails in etouffee or gumbo and don't mind them there, but I can't do a boil or a whole bug in any form to save my life.

civilsmoker civilsmoker I don't know if you bass fish but those are GREAT bass baits. I grew up fishing with rubber worms and live crawfish.

We think alike. My first thought was - they got them in Idaho? My second - wonder if they have to soak them as they look clean as all get out. I think my hangup on mudbugs is that I had to eat a lot of dirty ones as a kid. I've eaten plenty of tails in etouffee or gumbo and don't mind them there, but I can't do a boil or a whole bug in any form to save my life.

civilsmoker civilsmoker I don't know if you bass fish but those are GREAT bass baits. I grew up fishing with rubber worms and live crawfish.
Thanks HiJack! Yes, in Idaho! No cleaning, these were pulled right out of the lake like that. The lake is a top-rated rainbow trout lake so very clean water, which translates to no dirty bites or tastes! All of the snake river and river complex lakes are clean water as well (so clean bugs). The company that makes the traps just had a "crayster days event" at the same lake and cooked 400lbs up for people to just come by to try (for free), so they could sell a few traps (over 400 people showed up this year). The traps are made just up the road from us.

Oh we do bass fish, but live crawfish aren't allowed as bait (F&G is afraid people will bring other species in), but we have caught "many" on plastic crawer bait for sure.

SIGN ME UP!! That looks like one absolutely amazing meal. I'd have never thought of Idaho as a place to get crawfish but man oh man, they look large and healthy. I'd be all over a bushel of those. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

SIGN ME UP!! That looks like one absolutely amazing meal. I'd have never thought of Idaho as a place to get crawfish but man oh man, they look large and healthy. I'd be all over a bushel of those. Excellent job my friend.

Robert
Thanks Robert! It was a fun cook for sure! Not many people realize we have these things I the water but that makes for “full” pots for the rest of us…..and well feed bass….

Got sad news this past week though… I just got I just got notice that one of the nasty muscle larva was detected in the snake river just west of us…..it is an area of in the deep canyon, the area is a tru gem, likely brought in on a paddle board or canoe by someone that didn’t wash and dry it from an infected water……this has to potential of destroying one of the best fisheries and waters in the country…… just sad….. the whole area is now closed to anything water sports while they try to contain it….. I usually don’t post links but this is important education for water craft users….
https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/idah...ure-confirms-quagga-mussel-larvae-snake-river

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky