Got a good deal on bellies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Went to the local grocery store this morning to pick up a few things and to my surprise they had cryovaced bellies sitting in the meat section. Only two but wow I have never seen them carry just bellies. Most times they will cut them in small pieces and sell them that way. I said why not and picked the biggest one of the two. 15 pounder, and that is large in my books. Most I get are 12-13 pounders. Last time I bought a 13 pounder it cost me 82 bucks. This one was 60 bucks. I said fool buy and run as it might be a mistake on the price so I did.
So now I have them curing in the fridge for 12-14 days with a dry cure. I use my bacon maple cure which is sold as a wet brine mix but I have always used it as my semi dry cure. Semi dry I mean I coat the bellies with maple syrup and add the powdered cure to it and then bag them for 12-14 days in the fridge.
I alway hot smoke my bacon but I think I will give the cold smoke a try this time.
Stay tuned and I will see you 14 day later.
20240116_133406.jpg
20240308_084818.jpg
20240308_084832.jpg
20240308_151411.jpg

Nice, just over $4.00 a pound. I’m getting cryo half bellies (around 7 pounds) for $3.99 a pound. Works for me.

Went back to get the smaller one I left behind. It was gone but they had refreshed with this one. Never in my life have I seen one so big. This one will go in the freezer for down the road.
20240308_172016.jpg

Reactions: KBFlyer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky