First time Speck and bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabee

Original poster
Jan 23, 2024
Hi,
here are some picks i am having a go at speck should be ready in a few weeks according to the recipe and some maple bacon with Misty Gully Maple bacon cure. will use this cure until more cofident then look at making my own cure.
cheers
Joe

Attachments

• chunky pork.jpg
    chunky pork.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Maple bacon.jpg
    Maple bacon.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 19
  • speck.jpg
    speck.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 22
Hi,
here are some picks i am having a go at speck should be ready in a few weeks according to the recipe and some maple bacon with Misty Gully Maple bacon cure. will use this cure until more cofident then look at making my own cure.
cheers
Joe
here is the speck after a week of curing in a vacuum bag, then washed in red wine and left in the fridge for 24 hours now in the smoker can only lower temp on the treager to 75 deg c / 167 deg f will smoke until internal is 65 deg c / 150 deg f if this works i may have to look at a vertical smoker that can go as low as 18 deg c / 65 deg f and fresh out of the smoker to rest for a few hours then into the wine fridge at 8 deg c

Attachments

• 1 week brine in vacuum bag.jpg
    1 week brine in vacuum bag.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240131_132740[1].jpg
    20240131_132740[1].jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Here is the final product of Bacon raw tastes great. the speck ended up in the bin too salty. My wife being from Germany says the bacon is on the money and the tail end is more like speck so is happy with that for the cooking. Just purchased a series three pitboss vertical pellet smoker so will see how that goes.

Attachments

• 1st attempt.jpg
    1st attempt.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 8
Welcome from the Americas.
Here is the final product of Bacon raw tastes great. the speck ended up in the bin too salty.
Bin? You threw it away? Nooo
Anything too salty can get poached in warm water. Poaching reduces the salt but also washes away a lot of the smoke (not sure if speck is smoked)

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from the Americas.

Bin? You threw it away? Nooo
Anything too salty can get poached in warm water. Poaching reduces the salt but also washes away a lot of the smoke (not sure if speck is smoked)
thank you for the welcome Yeh the wife wasnt too impressed with the first speck too dry as well, but likes the ends of this one for speck so when we get low will have another practice

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky