Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ifitsdeadsmokeit

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 9, 2010
Hollister Missouri
I haven't posted any of my cooks in ages so thought I would create one. I made some canadian bacon a couple of months ago but the kids ate it all in about 3 weeks. Decided to do two loins this go round so it would last longer and also have family in town for Turkey Day. Bought a couple of whole loins from Costco. Trimmed them up to remove the little bit of fat and membrane that was present. I cut them each in half so they would fit into the brine bucket. Mixed up a batch of canadian bacon brine in the bucket and put the loins inside. I have a dedicated brine bucket so it doesnt get scratched up. A gallon of brine covered all four pieces completely so put the lid on it and into the fridge to cure. I usually try to let them cure for 10 days (or follow the 1/4" rule) but life got in the way so they went 14 days this time. Gotta use real maple syrup for this. Good deal at Costco.

8264[1].jpg
8266[1].jpg

After cure, rinse and pat dry, coated with maple syrup and brown sugar, let it sit on racks in the fridge overnight. I made an tinfoil boat to catch the drippings and make cleanup a whole lot easier.
8267[1].jpg
8274[1].jpg

Onto the smoker at 225° til hit IT 150°, took about 4 hours. Let sit in the fridge overnight to cool down and didnt have time to slice. Beautiful color on these.
8275[1].jpg
8276[1].jpg

Broke out the old slicer which made easy work of these. Sliced into 1/8" thick pieces.
8277[1].jpg
20231021_074420.jpg

Packaged into 1 lb packages with the vacuum sealer and into the freezer. Gave a couple packages to our neighbor who used one on some pizza for the Chiefs game Sunday. I didnt take a pic of the packages. I ended up with 12 packages. It tasted fantastic and won't last long.

Canadian Bacon Brine
1 c Maple Syrup (real)
1/2 c Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Cure #1
4 bay leaves
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 Tbsp Crushed Peppercorns
1 c Sea Salt
1 gal Cold Water

Combine all ingrediants in a food safe bucket and stir until dissolved.

Last edited:
I haven't posted any of my cooks in ages so thought I would create one. I made some canadian bacon a couple of months ago but the kids ate it all in about 3 weeks. Decided to do two loins this go round so it would last longer and also have family in town for Turkey Day. Bought a couple of whole loins from Costco. Trimmed them up to remove the little bit of fat and membrane that was present. I cut them each in half so they would fit into the brine bucket. Mixed up a batch of canadian bacon brine in the bucket and put the loins inside. I have a dedicated brine bucket so it doesnt get scratched up. A gallon of brine covered all four pieces completely so put the lid on it and into the fridge to cure. I usually try to let them cure for 10 days (or follow the 1/4" rule) but life got in the way so they went 14 days this time. Gotta use real maple syrup for this. Good deal at Costco.

View attachment 679206View attachment 679207
After cure, rinse and pat dry, coated with maple syrup and brown sugar, let it sit on racks in the fridge overnight. I made an tinfoil boat to catch the drippings and make cleanup a whole lot easier.
View attachment 679208View attachment 679209

Onto the smoker at 225° til hit IT 150°, took about 4 hours. Let sit in the fridge overnight to cool down and didnt have time to slice. Beautiful color on these.
View attachment 679210View attachment 679211

Broke out the old slicer which made easy work of these. Sliced into 1/8" thick pieces.
View attachment 679212View attachment 679213

Packaged into 1 lb packages with the vacuum sealer and into the freezer. Gave a couple packages to our neighbor who used one on some pizza for the Chiefs game Sunday. I didnt take a pic of the packages. I ended up with 12 packages. It tasted fantastic and won't last long.
Lovely

Maannn!!! That looks AMAZING!! Thanks for the well documented & great pictures. Might have to find a brine bucket and try myself 😁👍👍

Packaged into 1 lb packages with the vacuum sealer and into the freezer. Gave a couple packages to our neighbor who used one on some pizza for the Chiefs game Sunday. I didnt take a pic of the packages. I ended up with 12 packages. It tasted fantastic and won't last lo

That looks amazing!

Looks very good! I need to make some again too.
This looks like something I have wanted to try for years. I have to gather up the short bucket and figure out the set up on my Auber1510. Isn't going well. And I allowed myself to get frustrated. Be Well Brothers, Rusty.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The brine is a combination of several that evolved over the years. I am sure it is probably similar to Pop's since it needs to be a certain concentration of cure, salt and water with the sugar, etc added for different flavors. I can post my recipe if anyone would like it.

Canadian Bacon Brine
1 c Maple Syrup (real)
1/2 c Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Cure #1
4 bay leaves
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 Tbsp Crushed Peppercorns
1 c Sea Salt
1 gal Cold Water

Combine all ingrediants in a food safe bucket and stir until dissolved.
Thank you for the recipe! Turned out great!

Attachments

• PXL_20240222_221442049.jpg
    PXL_20240222_221442049.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky