Here You Go Eric, My Dry Cured Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
After hitchhiking along on, or hijacking, Eric's, SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , thread about dry cured bacon, I decided it was time to start my own thread instead of being a leech. Here's his thread...

I followed his recipe and advice almost exactly, only exception was time curing because life got in the way, both at the start and during the process.

Started 9 days later than I initially planned (1st time life changed my plans), but the recipe is the same...
  • ~6 lb. belly
  • .25% cure #1
  • 1.5% salt
  • .75% sugar
20240305_065503[1].jpg

Cure applied along with white pepper and granulated garlic. The pepper and garlic were applied by looks, just like Eric suggested...
20240305_072146[1].jpg

20240305_072354[1].jpg

Into the fridge for 14 days which turned into 16 days (2nd time life changed my plans). Actually bagged at 12 days per a suggestion from Eric...
20240320_112002[1].jpg

Fired up the smoker today with Cherry and Hickory and on it went. Tried to keep smoker temps @200℉...
20240320_114750[1].jpg

20240320_143645[1].jpg

Pulled at 148℉ I.T...
20240320_143822[1].jpg

Resting on the counter now, in the fridge later for at least 24 hours before slicing. I got distracted for a few minutes today and the smoker temp got up to almost 300℉ so I hope I didn't screw up the bacon. I quickly opened the lid and closed off the inlet so maybe I'm OK. I'll be back in a day or so after slicing...

That looks fantastic Charles. Did you nibble a corner or something? I would, lol. Can’t wait to hear your final thoughts. Nice work buddy.

Did you nibble a corner or something?
Well I had to and I'm not biased, but if the fridge rested product is better than the small corner I tried, then it really and truly does not get any better. I have NEVER tasted bacon that even remotely compares to the small piece I tasted today, seriously. It is bacon nirvana and I have nothing to compare it to. To me, the taste is unbelievable and way beyond what I was expecting. I will never buy store bacon again...EVER...

Well I had to and I'm not biased, but if the fridge rested product is better than the small corner I tried, then it really and truly does not get any better. I have NEVER tasted bacon that even remotely compares to the small piece I tasted today, seriously. It is bacon nirvana and I have nothing to compare it to. To me, the taste is unbelievable and way beyond what I was expecting. I will never buy store bacon again...EVER...
A rest for a day or two will only improve the flavor balance. I’m so glad you were able to get out of the comfort zone and try this. This is absolutely on another flavor level. Guarantee nobody around you has anything close to your bacon. I’m still watching for the slice and fry.

Reactions: ConrodM
Yeahhhh buddy!!! Home cured/Home Smoked IS THE BEST!!! Never going back to store bought stuff again ever

After about 36 hours resting, I sliced it up this morning and here it is...
20240322_063408[1].jpg

20240322_072355[1].jpg

Fried up some this morning and I've found my new favorite bacon. This stuff is really, really good and if anyone is on the fence about trying to make their own bacon, if I can do it, you can, too and I'd give this recipe a try...

Fantastic looking bacon Charles. My first attempt tasted more like ham that bacon.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
After about 36 hours resting, I sliced it up this morning and here it is...
View attachment 692275
View attachment 692276

Fried up some this morning and I've found my new favorite bacon. This stuff is really, really good and if anyone is on the fence about trying to make their own bacon, if I can do it, you can, too and I'd give this recipe a try...
Nice haul!!!
So how much of this did you much on as you were slicing it, since it is cooked to save eating temp?

Most of my bacon (I smoke to cooked IT) never sees a skillet. I eat it right out of the vac seal bag it's sooooooo good and you can taste the nuances of the wood smoke flavor. Once it's fried up the smoke flavor kinda gets cooked to a common smoked flavor (still good though) and less smoke flavor differences can be made out if you have smoked different bacon with different woods :D

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
That does look good, i may have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing this.
Thank you, Phil. I was only trying my hand at a recipe posted by Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge with suggestions from a lot of other good folks on here. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed...

Fantastic looking bacon Charles. My first attempt tasted more like ham that bacon.

Point for sure
Chris
After reading a ton of posts on here about curing bacon, I was somewhat worried about that, too. But it tastes like bacon...or better...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky