BLT - "Bacon Long Time"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
For some reason, in the high lonesome, pork bellies have been hard to come by for about 3-years or so. But on occasion, all the stars are aligned. Last month I got a nice one from Costco in Colorado from a friend.

I did a 15 day dry cure, smoking 2/3s and making 1/3 into 'streak-o-lean'.
x631kDh.jpg

eEKXEUj.jpg

E4frSKE.jpg

zPKlTUP.jpg

xJnFUNA.jpg

Oh and some bacon ends...
M9FodlZ.jpg

From pic 3 I’d say it was cold smoked….or at least the smoker was in the cold!
and it looks mighty good. I may have to hunt me down some belly!

Jim

Nice slabs . What is Streak - O - Lean ?? Thanks

I was in out costco the other day, and all they had was belly already sliced in 1 1/2" pieces in packages of about 5 or 6 pieces.
I am not sure who would use it like this , But they must sell it , because that is how it was when I checked back in the summer also.

David

Looks good. Bellies were hard to get here for a long time and expensive, but recently one of our grocers has started stocking Prime belly as half bellies shrink wrapped. Started out a couple months ago at 3.50 a pound, is now 3.99 a pound but these are thick very high quality bellies, no trimming required, my freezer is filling up.

That looks awesome good looking bellies

Bacon!!! Love me some of that. That after smoked pic makes me crave it! Nice work!

Nice looking bacon......cold smoked I assume.
The outside temps were around 25° and my smoker temps ranged from 40° to 90°.

I was in out costco the other day, and all they had was belly already sliced in 1 1/2" pieces in packages of about 5 or 6 pieces.
I am not sure who would use it like this , But they must sell it , because that is how it was when I checked back in the summer also.

David
Streak-o-lean is cured but not smoked.

David
I buy that for burnt ends, less cutting, just cube it.

But on occasion, all the stars are aligned.
That's some fine looking bacon TE. With all cloud cover here. I'm guessing our stars aren't aligned. I haven't been able to find good cuts of belly for a while.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky