Summer time Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
Being empty-nesters, we finally ran out of left-overs from our family gathering last month and decided to try a warm weather smoke on a small turk about 8#s. My mind is slipping cause I couldn't find my brining bucket so I went for a smoke straight out of the plastic vac package, what the heck it was a Butterball.
Since momma doesn't get off work until 1830 hrs it was going to be a quick any easy supper. Thawed, rinsed and patted dry, I sprayed it with butter and dusted it with Tony's while my 820 warmed up. Being a small bird I ran it on "smoke" for an hour and then went to 250*. This bird cooked up way faster than my Winter birds did. 3 hours later my Maverick went off so I rapped the bird in a couple of towels and waited for my better-half to come home. She whipped up some zasty curly fries and whipped up some gravy. Since only one of us can work in the kitchen at a time I took our new dog and new puppy out for a romp. After 40+ years she's learned a few things in the kitchen. When the dinner bell ran she had boned and carved the bird and had the plates ready. Can't get much easier than that.

20190801_193404.jpg 20190801_194130.jpg 20190801_194643.jpg

Looks great,I really don't know why we don't cook turkey more often as we love it,I suppose its because rarely do I see fresh not frozen birds.

Reactions: martin1950
Nice meal! Turkey has nice color.
Sometimes one of my local super markets will have turkey breasts on sale. And I will buy 1/2 dozen and freeze them to smoke later.

Reactions: martin1950
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky