Black Turkey…why?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DFWbackyardbbq

Original poster
Nov 24, 2023
DFW
Howdy y’all. I’m quite sure this topic has been asked many times, but I dont think any of the likely culprits fit my situation.

Smoked a whole turkey yesterday and while delicious, it came out pretty black and I dont know why.

Turkey was submerged in brine for 48hrs. Water, salt, white sugar, whiskey, bay leaves, and black peppercorns.

Turkey was thoroughly dried then the cavity was filled with carrots, celery and citrus fruit. Then salt & pepper were applied, and the bird tied up. Injected with butter, chicken broth and some whiskey.

Went onto the smoker (Lone Star Grillz, 24x40 offset) at 300F. Chimney and fire intake were both fully open; regulated temp with wood quantity. Used 100% apple wood (kiln dried & clean).

At one hour, the bird was showing some black areas.

At two hours, more so, so I tented it. At three hours it was done and looked way darker than i wanted.

The smoker was clean.
The smoke was thin blue
Temp was pretty steady at 300.
No sugar used in rub / seasoning

Any ideas what caused this?

My pictures wont attach for some reason, so cant share images of the color.

Last edited:
How big of bird? That seems pretty quick at that temp for a stuffed bird unless quite small.
Have you verified actual pit temp with digital thermometer? May be running way warmer than set temp.

Howdy y’all. I’m quite sure this topic has been asked many times, but I dont think any of the likely culprits fit my situation.

Smoked a whole turkey yesterday and while delicious, it came out pretty black and I dont know why.

Turkey was submerged in brine for 48hrs. Water, salt, white sugar, whiskey, bay leaves, and black peppercorns.

Turkey was thoroughly dried then the cavity was filled with carrots, celery and citrus fruit. Then salt & pepper were applied, and the bird tied up. Injected with butter, chicken broth and some whiskey.

Went onto the smoker (Lone Star Grillz, 24x40 offset) at 300F. Chimney and fire intake were both fully open; regulated temp with wood quantity. Used 100% apple wood (kiln dried & clean).

At one hour, the bird was showing some black areas.

At two hours, more so, so I tented it. At three hours it was done and looked way darker than i wanted.

The smoker was clean.
The smoke was thin blue
Temp was pretty steady at 300.
No sugar used in rub / seasoning

Any ideas what caused this?

My pictures wont attach for some reason, so cant share images of the color.
The brine's sugar and the Whiskey's sugar, along with a 300 temp could have darkened your bird.

I agree with the sugar causing your problem.
I brined one in apple cider then deep fried it you talk about being black whew.
But it did have an excellent taste.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky