Big beef brisket on the offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
Texas style with a heavy dose of koshering salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic. Used some post oak but mostly pecan on this cook. Kept the chamber around 230°f to 285°f. Using the offset it's inevitable you'll see dips and spikes. I set a timer and work my way back to the smoker to feed the beast about every 20 to 35 minutes.

I really enjoy those nice days when I have nothing to do but play with fire and put a few down waiting for a treat at the end of the day.

This was a 17.5 pounder, the local Albertsons had them on sale (this location only) to celebrate their re- grand opening for $1.99 a pound. I cut the flat off for slicing before the cook and shredded the point.

Took about 10 hours and pulled at an I.T. of 205°f. I did wrap this one with some beer once it reached about 150°f I.T.

20240225_200841.jpg

20240225_155232.jpg

Here's a bonus.... this is how you keep your shakers clean while you dress the meat!

20240225_103121.jpg

Turned out fantastic!

Looks good to me!! Tell me more about the shredding of the point please. Never seen that before. Assuming that is the first pic?

Reactions: philpom
Looks good to me!! Tell me more about the shredding of the point please. Never seen that before. Assuming that is the first pic?
Just smoke it until it's nice and tender, probably 205f. Then just shred it like you would a pork butt. It's perfect for sammies, to add to mac & cheese, tacos, baked potatoes, on a salad, in a soup. Heck, anything you would use cooked ground or chopped beef for.

I smoke these and we vacuum seal in 1lb bags and freeze for the family to use over the next few months so being flexible is key.

That was the first swipe through with the claws, looked so good I had to grab a pic. Cutting the flat off before smoking leaves me with that for the classic slice. Alternatively one could always cure the flat for pastrami - epic!

Going to smoke 2 pork butts tomorrow and shred those. Probably one regular and one for carnitas but we'll see how I feel about it in the morning.

Man I like that tip on keeping the seasoning containers clean! Great idea!

Also-good looking brisket!

Great looking brisket.....And the tip on the shakers....Duh...Why didnt I think of that!?!?!?

Jim
Every time I see someone on youtube handle raw meat and grab a shaker I cringe. Hope y'all get some mileage out of that one, started doing that several years ago, got tired of trying to keep one hand clean while turning the meat to season.

I keep a spray bottle with H2o and a little bleach. I handle raw meat and grab the container by hand then spray a paper towel and wipe off the container, works for me, and I'm OCD about cross contamination in the kitchen or at the grill. BBQ contests and cooking events require it in most places around here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky