Porter Road Whole Smoke Roasted Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
This post is to show case one of the forum TD sponsors, Porter Road. I happened to win these at the last TD because DRKsmoking DRKsmoking asked me to swap prizes because of the shipping to the north country. I choose to get some of Porter Road young whole birds.

These birds are free range bug feed….. I got 3 ish pounders….
IMG_7679.jpeg

Over all these are nicely promotion and uniform.
IMG_7678.jpeg

Ok I also thought I would share a few techniques here as well…. I choose to remove a portion of the backbone to facilitate differential cooking, more I that later….
IMG_7680.jpeg

Seasoned it up with kinders buttery steakhouse….
IMG_7682.jpeg

Ok here is a hack….or rather tip…. I got tired of having to clean the whole counter top and 1/2 the kitchen floor cleaning up spices that go all over the place…….sooooooo I set the cutting board in the sink and season away!!!!
IMG_7681.jpeg

No more mess and even better no cleaning and easier to have a nice pic for posting!

On the bird went to the RT 1250….since this is a small bird I bumped the temp to 375 for crispy skin….this is about 10 min in…. See how close the temps are…..
IMG_7684.png

So the gravy…..put the wing tips and removed backbone in a pan to sear with butter and veg… when seared up I deglazed with white wine and cooked that in….
IMG_7683.jpeg

Once the wine was cooked in, about 15 mins in went some fresh herbs and chicken stock and chicken base and veg base…..
IMG_7685.jpeg

Progress shot on the color….
IMG_7686.jpeg

The stats…about 35 min in, note the temp differential between breast and thigh…. It’s getting a bit more…..
IMG_7688.png

I turned it to get even skin at 45 min in…..
IMG_7693.jpeg

Bingo time to pull….. not the perfect differential in INT….
IMG_7694.png

Man just happy!
IMG_7695.jpeg

IMG_7696.jpeg

During the initial clean up I noticed that these birds a rather lean. The skin is almost translucent and the finished crispy skin in this short cook shows here!
IMG_7698.jpeg

The wife has been craving these so seared up some Bsprouts then finished with diced shallots, butter, soy, honey, and white pepper….
IMG_7701.jpeg

The boy seared up these button halves to go with the dish as well. He is the mushroom searing master!!!!
IMG_7702.jpeg

Ok after all that here is the final plate….the 1/2 bird is joined by some Idaho Yukon mash and the BS is dressed with……wait for it….. Caroline white sauce…..the wife’s idea and it is crazy good addition!
IMG_7703.jpeg

Ok my final thoughts on the Porter Road birds….. well I was expecting a little gamey tone, however, they were a very clean and smooth flavor tone…. They are also very lean….very close to a wild pheasant…..this translates to very crispy skin money…….
IMG_7705.jpeg

Just want to say thanks to Porter Road for sponsoring…. If you want a clean bird they are a set above the GS bird for sure and worth a try!

Fantastic looking meal!! Everything looks great but the Chicken is Awesome looking!!

Beautiful plate as usual! It all looks great but the mash swimming in gravy with shrooms makes me drool

Shoot yeah! Great looking meal. And I wouldnt be the least bit embarrassed to be caught licking the plate.

Jim

This post is to show case one of the forum TD sponsors, Porter Road. I happened to win these at the last TD because DRKsmoking DRKsmoking asked me to swap prizes because of the shipping to the north country. I choose to get some of Porter Road young whole birds.

These birds are free range bug feed….. I got 3 ish pounders….
View attachment 689718
Over all these are nicely promotion and uniform.
View attachment 689717

Ok I also thought I would share a few techniques here as well…. I choose to remove a portion of the backbone to facilitate differential cooking, more I that later….
View attachment 689719

Seasoned it up with kinders buttery steakhouse….
View attachment 689721

Ok here is a hack….or rather tip…. I got tired of having to clean the whole counter top and 1/2 the kitchen floor cleaning up spices that go all over the place…….sooooooo I set the cutting board in the sink and season away!!!!
View attachment 689720
No more mess and even better no cleaning and easier to have a nice pic for posting!

On the bird went to the RT 1250….since this is a small bird I bumped the temp to 375 for crispy skin….this is about 10 min in…. See how close the temps are…..
View attachment 689723

So the gravy…..put the wing tips and removed backbone in a pan to sear with butter and veg… when seared up I deglazed with white wine and cooked that in….
View attachment 689722
Once the wine was cooked in, about 15 mins in went some fresh herbs and chicken stock and chicken base and veg base…..
View attachment 689724
Progress shot on the color….
View attachment 689725
The stats…about 35 min in, note the temp differential between breast and thigh…. It’s getting a bit more…..
View attachment 689726
I turned it to get even skin at 45 min in…..
View attachment 689729
Bingo time to pull….. not the perfect differential in INT….
View attachment 689730
Man just happy!
View attachment 689731
View attachment 689732
During the initial clean up I noticed that these birds a rather lean. The skin is almost translucent and the finished crispy skin in this short cook shows here!
View attachment 689733
The wife has been craving these so seared up some Bsprouts then finished with diced shallots, butter, soy, honey, and white pepper….
View attachment 689734
The boy seared up these button halves to go with the dish as well. He is the mushroom searing master!!!!View attachment 689735

Ok after all that here is the final plate….the 1/2 bird is joined by some Idaho Yukon mash and the BS is dressed with……wait for it….. Caroline white sauce…..the wife’s idea and it is crazy good addition!
View attachment 689736

Ok my final thoughts on the Porter Road birds….. well I was expecting a little gamey tone, however, they were a very clean and smooth flavor tone…. They are also very lean….very close to a wild pheasant…..this translates to very crispy skin money…….
View attachment 689737

Just want to say thanks to Porter Road for sponsoring…. If you want a clean bird they are a set above the GS bird for sure and worth a try!
Oh boy, that is looking awesome. Great looking bird!

Man, that bird looks great, but then again so does everything around it. Nice work

Beautiful plate as usual! It all looks great but the mash swimming in gravy with shrooms makes me drool
Thanks jcam! Yea the shroom gravy mash is a taste bud explosion! I took the roux to an amber color just to were it starts to get hints of paper bag....It adds that rich nutty tone with the smooth chicken, which almost has a sweetness to it.
Beautiful bird !!
Many thanks jax!
That bird looks perfect, all around a tasty meal!

Dave
Much appreciated Flat!

Reactions: Flatrate
Shoot yeah! Great looking meal. And I wouldnt be the least bit embarrassed to be caught licking the plate.

Jim
Thanks Jim! There wasn't a dirty plate left at the table, so you would have been right at home!
Oh boy, that is looking awesome. Great looking bird!
Many thanks DeerM! I'm glad I got the opportinity to work with these birds, many thanks to PR and the TDs!
Man, that bird looks great, but then again so does everything around it. Nice work
Much appreciated JLin! I felt the bird deserved to be elevated.... but then again mash and gravy is a thing at our house! I should not these were Gordon Ramsey Hells Kitchen mash recipe.....They are just money 5 ways to Sunday!

• Haha
Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
Nice looking bird. I’m with you I hate cleaning up all the seasoning haha no matter how careful I am I make a mess. Gonna steal your hack. Thanks for posting

Thanks Jim! There wasn't a dirty plate left at the table, so you would have been right at home!

Many thanks DeerM! I'm glad I got the opportinity to work with these birds, many thanks to PR and the TDs!

Much appreciated JLin! I felt the bird deserved to be elevated.... but then again mash and gravy is a thing at our house! I should not these were Gordon Ramsey Hells Kitchen mash recipe.....They are just money 5 ways to Sunday!
My buddy raised chicken and turkeys. We butchered lots of them.
They never looked that nice!

I just noticed the label on that bird. Did it sing some Waylon tunes to you while it was on the smoker?
LOL.... now that funny, it was singing a sizzling tune of happiness for sure!
Nice looking bird. I’m with you I hate cleaning up all the seasoning haha no matter how careful I am I make a mess. Gonna steal your hack. Thanks for posting
Thanks Smoking! Steal way, I've been doing this for some time....man oh man it keeps the piece with the Mrs Civil Smoker!
My buddy raised chicken and turkeys. We butchered lots of them.
They never looked that nice!
Yea these (the others in the freezer included) are nice and uniform birds for sure. We raised many chickens and turkeys as a youngster as well. We would sell about 30 a so turkeys to the Nighbor's the night before thanksgiving. I did the dispatching and plucking.....

I saw this post the other day, but I couldn't post because I was at work. That is some good looking chicken Civil. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky