Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp Viala

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, this was going to be my entry into the Labor Day throw-down.....until I read the fine print on the rules that the main protein had to be either grilled or smoked. I should have read the rules first, but I had plans for this cook for over 2 months when the large 8-10 count white shrimp started hitting the docks during the peak of white shrimp season.
IMG_20230807_174529.jpg

Usually, you use whole shrimp and leave the head on for presentation, but since I bought them on a Sunday and Dinner night was Thursday, I decided to de-head the shrimp and reserve the tails we were to cook on ice. I also wanted to make a shrimp stock for soups this fall/winter. After de-heading the shrimp, I had 7# of shrimp heads.
IMG_20230807_190052.jpg

Ended up with 9 quarts of concentrated shrimp stock. I picked through the discard and found 30 or so extra large shrimp heads in good shape. Put those on a sheet pan and in the freezer until Thursday...

This dish is not difficult, but it has a few components to it. A lot of prep work, some of which can be done ahead of time. I made both the Bechmel sauce and the sweet pepper accent sauce ahead of time. The sweet pepper sauce is from 1 1/2 ripe red bell peppers sauteed down in a little olive oil to soften. I added 1 clove of garlic and 1 TBSP Calabrian pepper paste for a touch of heat. Adjusted with brown sugar and a little salt.
IMG_20230809_181702.jpg
IMG_20230809_181522.jpg

Made the Bechmel sauce ahead of time too...
Simple white roux
IMG_20230809_171727.jpg

Scaling whole milk with spices...
IMG_20230809_171723.jpg

The Buerre Blanc Butter sauce was made fresh the night of the cook.

This dish uses a basic crab stuffing, butterflying the shrimp tails open to fill with the stuffing served over Buerre Blanc and sweet pepper sauce.
IMG_20230810_134325.jpg

I did not add any pepper to the Beurre Blanc, only salt. The seasoning was perfect when the sauces combine.
IMG_20230810_175552.jpg

The Plate:
IMG_20230810_210046_01.jpg

It has been over 20 years since I've cooked this one. I won't wait that long before I make it again!!!!

Oh, and we had fresh tomato bruschetta, Calabrian Sopressata, and parmesan cheese for appetizer while we put dinner together in the kitchen...
IMG_20230810_160902.jpg

IMG_20230810_160908.jpg

Also enjoyed 2 bottles of wine..
2018 Pio Cesare Barbera D'Alba
2020 Ca Rugate Soave Classico

Last edited:
Wow, quite the meal, great presentation!!!
Thanks ebz! I'm getting better at taking photos. Of course a new phone with a better camera helps.
Oh my dang! That looks really good. Lots of flavors going on right there, yummers. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks hooked! Lots of flavors indeed! That stuffing rocks! So many layers of flavor with the bechmel sauce, sherry and butter! So rich yet delicate...

Reactions: 02ebz06
So, this was going to be my entry into the Labor Day throw-down.....until I read the fine print on the rules that the main protein had to be either grilled or smoked. I should have read the rules first, but I had plans for this cook for over 2 months when the large 8-10 count white shrimp started hitting the docks during the peak of white shrimp season.
View attachment 673198
Usually, you use whole shrimp and leave the head on for presentation, but since I bought them on a Sunday and Dinner night was Thursday, I decided to de-head the shrimp and reserve the tails we were to cook on ice. I also wanted to make a shrimp stock for soups this fall/winter. After de-heading the shrimp, I had 7# of shrimp heads.
View attachment 673199
Ended up with 9 quarts of concentrated shrimp stock. I picked through the discard and found 30 or so extra large shrimp heads in good shape. Put those on a sheet pan and in the freezer until Thursday...

This dish is not difficult, but it has a few components to it. A lot of prep work, some of which can be done ahead of time. I made both the Bechmel sauce and the sweet pepper accent sauce ahead of time. The sweet pepper sauce is from 1 1/2 ripe red bell peppers sauteed down in a little olive oil to soften. I added 1 clove of garlic and 1 TBSP Calabrian pepper paste for a touch of heat. Adjusted with brown sugar and a little salt.
View attachment 673194View attachment 673195

Made the Bechmel sauce ahead of time too...
Simple white roux
View attachment 673196

Scaling whole milk with spices...
View attachment 673188

The Buerre Blanc Butter sauce was made fresh the night of the cook.

This dish uses a basic crab stuffing, butterflying the shrimp tails open to fill with the stuffing served over Buerre Blanc and sweet pepper sauce.
View attachment 673200

I did not add any pepper to the Beurre Blanc, only salt. The seasoning was perfect when the sauces combine.
View attachment 673191

The Plate:
View attachment 673189

It has been over 20 years since I've cooked this one. I won't wait that long before I make it again!!!!

Oh, and we had fresh tomato bruschetta, Calabrian Sopressata, and parmesan cheese for appetizer while we put dinner together in the kitchen...
View attachment 673197
View attachment 673192

Also enjoyed 2 bottles of wine..
2018 Pio Cesare Barbera D'Alba
2020 Ca Rugate Soave Classico
look professional man!! and delicious !!

Not that recipe, but that's my favorite way to cook shrimp. I'll have to look into making this recipe next time. Super nice job Keith!!! Bookmarked.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking plate and the how to Keith. That is just above and beyond. Mona would be all over that

I like the way they are looking at me , lol

No really , just a perfect looking plate of seafood

1691796807823.png

David

look professional man!! and delicious !!
Thanks Slav! I try...man I can't believe I waited 20 years to cook this meal again!

Not that recipe, but that's my favorite way to cook shrimp. I'll have to look into making this recipe next time. Super nice job Keith!!! Bookmarked.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks gmc! stuffed shrimp are definitely a crowd pleaser!

IDS, Wow, Wow and WOW ! I'd be larger than an elephant if I ate at your house .
Thanks crazy! No way I'd go all out and cook this just for myself...which is why I do dinner nights with friends. And Wow is right! Highly recommend this dish!
Simply superb Keith! 5 star plating too!
Thanks Steve! Still working on my plating skills....
That plate is restaurant and magazine quality !!!! Nice work :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks jax! I'm blushing!
Great looking plate and the how to Keith. That is just above and beyond. Mona would be all over that

I like the way they are looking at me , lol

No really , just a perfect looking plate of seafood

View attachment 673229

David
LOL! Thanks David!
Just magnificent! Straight Michelin chef quality.
Aw shucks.....I got a looooong way to go to catch up to your plating and photography skilz my friend!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That is some might fancy cooking and plating for that matter, I would love a plate for sure!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky