Smokers, Whats your age and how long have you been smoking???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I started in the 60's  I'm getting old !!

Gary

Old as dirt is what I've been telling my grandson for years , 61 , have been BBQing for ever always want to try smoking so here is where I am and loving it. Googled smoking meat sites and found this one and joined . Still learning from all the great smokers that are here and will always learn new ways and ideas. Thank everyone for their knowledge

It seems I'm older than most of you. And my kids are older than most of you. I'm 70 and have been smoking for about 40 years.  If it's meat, I smoke it, pork, beef, chicken, pheasant, duck and fish. I make  my own bacon, corn both pork and beef.   I built some of my first smokers out of cedar. They were great smokers.  You may say this guy is from the hills, but I was an information technology project manager.

It seems I'm older than most of you. And my kids are older than most of you. I'm 70 and have been smoking for about 40 years.  If it's meat, I smoke it, pork, beef, chicken, pheasant, duck and fish. I make  my own bacon, corn both pork and beef.   I built some of my first smokers out of cedar. They were great smokers.  You may say this guy is from the hills, but I was an information technology project manager.
I'm guessing there are no more pictures of your cedar smokers?  I would love to see them

To long ago. No pictures. It was 4 feet tall, and a 2 x 2 foot square. I was made of tong and groove cedar 1x6. The heat source was an electric hot pad with an iron fry pan for the chips. In those days I only smoked salmon. In Washington state salmon is almost free in the fall.

I'm 59 (turn 60 on the June 2!).

I have been grilling for years, but got introduced to smoking via a HGTV show, and also a neighbor that did charcoal offset smokes.

Now (May 15, 2015) I am one week into the adventure. Doing a Boston Butt / Pork Havana with Sweet Italian Sausage links over top.

Post with pics to follow!

Mid 40's (wow, that looks weird when I see it in print...), have been grilling for 20+ years, but I've only been smoking for a total time of probably less than 5 months. I borrowed a smoker from a friend a few years back for a little bit, but there was a period between then and now of about 5 years. Now I have my own smoker with no plans of stopping.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Reactions: 1mind4fun
Seems like 70 is the magic age. I've been grilling and BBQing for 50 years but only smoking for about 7 years. Now that I'm retired, I'm going to go for more time per year. Sounds good to me.

Well its math time ....Yikes

I'm 55.5 and started in 1975 with a little chief smoker. Use my fingers and the end of a wooden spoon to stuff casings. Ruined lots of meat.

Well, I'm 38 and technically haven't started smoking yet. I just bought my first little smoker this afternoon. I have cooked most of my life and I've been grilling just as long. I've wanted to get in to smoking for quite some time and have finally decided to get started!

You have come to the right place. I'm old, 70, think about like a  23 year old, feel 70. I have been cooking, grilling and smoking about 40 years. If you have a question, this is the place to ask. 

Welcome.

Dennis

Well, I'm 38 and technically haven't started smoking yet. I just bought my first little smoker this afternoon. I have cooked most of my life and I've been grilling just as long. I've wanted to get in to smoking for quite some time and have finally decided to get started!
what'd ya get?

I picked up a cheap Kingsford Sierra. Just wanted something to get me started. I've already read a lot of the negative reviews and am planning some necessary tweaks. Admittedly, I didn't do much research before making the impulse buy but it should at least get me started!

I'm 20 and I've been smoking meat for a bit over a year. Did my first big smoke (70 lbs. of pork butt for 400+ people) about a month ago.

I turned 50 in February. Been grilling foreve and just started smoking about 2 yrs ago. And still love it.

This was/is my first smokers that I still use. But it got some what tiresome for those 12 hr smokes.
View media item 333867
This is my other smoker. I use it for those long 12-14 hrs smokes. It's so much easier than having to constantly tend a fire for 12 hrs. I've only had it for less than a yr.

Im 27 been actively smoking for 6 year but have watched my dad do it all my life. Its a family tradition and passion. We use everything from a usd to a wsm.

Been grillin' since the '50s. Smoked my first turkey about 35 years ago. I didn't really get serious about it until about 4 years ago when I bought my MES and augmented it with a OTG kettle and a Smokey Joe Mini WSM about 3+ years ago.

I'm a few bricks shy of a load . . . uh, a few weeks shy of being 73.:grilling_smilie:

Old as dust is what I tell my grandson but I find I'm young at 61 after reading a bunch of these posts ,

only been smoking for 6 months but have been BBQing since forever and experimented with wood chips

in a smoke box that I made. It took me this long to get a real smoker , must have fallen on my head one too many times years ago

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky