Leaning MB GF, overwhelmed by grease fire risk and mods?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

citysmoker13

Original poster
Jun 9, 2023
Hey all - been living in Manhattan for the last couple of years and so havent had a smoker or grill. My last one was a OKJ Bronco, that I loved dearly, but now that I have a toddler running around I'm shopping for something more set-and-forget.

Right now I'm between the MB GFs and the Recteq 590. The MBs are appealing because of the smokier taste when going low n slow and it sounds like theyre closer to traditional charcoal grill flavor when grilling as well.

That said, I see a lot of talk about grease fires as well as various mods for the cookers to reduce that risk and improve their durability that has me second guessing it. If I go this route, how real is the risk of a grease fire? Is it easy enough just to use drip pans the clean the bastard occasionally to avoid them? Or is there some fundamental flaw in the design?

And for mods: What are the must have day 1 mods, and what are the nice to haves?

Thanks all for the help, can't wait to get back smoking.

Welcome to the community!

In order to NOT have to type this all again, here's a link to a response I had to another user recently that might be useful to you. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky