Pork Loin Rib roast and beans , plus my thoughts on 14" WSM and ThermoWorks Signals and Thermapen ( Long and pics )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Pork Loin Rib roast and beans , plus my thoughts on 14" WSM and ThermoWorks Signals and Thermapen

So just so no one gets bored and does not want to read everything, here is a picture of the meal
Pork rib roast , smoked beans ,mashed spuds and fried onions on gravy

14.JPG

So now to my story lol

Some know from other post the deal I got on the 14"WSM at a very good price

So here is my take only after a trial run then first smoke.

Saturday:
Very nice out so no pressure on the 14" smoker from the weather. So first the smoker is small, should say short, so I made a temp table to see if I like the height and added a fold down side table to hold the parts while smoking and removing parts while working on the smoke etc. This hint was from chopsaw chopsaw and Colin1230 Colin1230 . So started with 1/2 tray of charcoal ( I also did the first mod as mentioned by the same two guys ) wired the grate and ring together . that worked very good.

So lit coals right in the tray , added some wood just to see how it burned all together. Took about 30 minutes to get to 200 on my Thermo pen stuck through the side and it was in past the Burn Zone.
Approx 45 minutes to get to and hold at 250 deg. And I was not too hard to get to keep it dialed in . Could see smoke coming out from around the top lid and of coarse the top vent. ( on the first cook next day I noticed the smoke was less near end of the cook as the lid is starting to get a bit of a seal on it. ) Also I did move the ThermoPen so it was not touching the side just incase it wanted to melt.
Also I kept checking the table under the smoker for heat . The wood got warm and that was all. When I make the real table I will cover in heavy aluminum sheet stock that I have already. And for my height I think I will lower the table about 3" down from the temp. table height.

1.JPG 2.JPG

3.JPG 4.JPG

6.JPG The ThermoPen stayed there for the whole test , it would go to sleep after a few seconds, just a little flic and it would show you a reading again

It kept the temp well , and after the 3 hour test run , I just let it burn out by its self. I was surprised how long half a tray of charcoal lasted and kept warm . But it was a very nice day.
I did well with this and think I am ready for some food tomorrow

Sunday:
Coated the 3 1/2 pound pork roast with some Q-Nami and Jeff's original rub mixed together, and in the fridge for the night. Pulled out an hour before going into the smoker.
ThermoWorks Signals was still in the box Sunday morning so put it on charge and at the same time I did the set up on my phone and , WOW this was very easy and just follow the prompts and all done in maybe 15 minutes . Left it on to charge until ready to take outdoors.

Today is very cool and a light wind so the smoker will be working harder then the test run.
Full ring of charcoal removed some from middle and into chimney to burn up hot. took about 40 minutes to get to my 270 +/- and held pretty good a little more playing with the vents to get it up there.
Brought out the Signals and set it in place. Put 1 probe under the top grate and 1 in the roast , and 1 just outside to tell me the outside air, It was 44 " F " here today.

7.JPG

9.JPG 10.JPG 8.JPG

Smoke is rolling very good 3 chunks of Cherry. After 1 hour I received an alert that temp dropped below my set temp. Went down to 220. I do not know why yet. Got it back up in about 10 minutes . Stayed pretty good after that.

Love the Signals and the app on my phone. I will be playing around with this to get more used to it . At that time will give a " What I think " between it and my Inkbird Q4.

So while the roast is smoking I cooked up a little bacon, chopped onions and celery and added to some beans , added a little Hickory BBQ sauce also .
I have foil trays that are 8 1/2" x 6 1/2" . and wouldn't you know they just fit through the side door of the smoker and right onto the bottom grill . I'm happy that way I did not have to remove the roast at all.
So with an hour and half to go put in the beans under to catch the drippings from the roast. 1 tray was more than enough for us, but I could have put 2 trays I that way no problem

11.JPG

So it took approx. 3 1/2 hours , pulled the roast and tented it until everything else was ready.

12.JPG

13.JPG

Some mashed with gravy and fried onions, baby carrots and corn niblets. Fresh Mustard pickles

15.JPG

Well folks , For the first cook/ smoke

I love this 14"WSM, and I think I am going to have a lot of fun with it .
The ThermoWorks Signals worked perfect and this will get used a lot more also, especially now my Inkbird seems to keep dropping the connecting lately
And the ThermaPen been using for a while , it works great also.

I know this was long but I wanted to get my thoughts on these 3 new to me items

Thanks for hanging in to the end .
And for doing so here is a prize for you ... sorry for me

In other smoker I made some Smoked Pumpkin donuts with Salted Maple Glaze , can you say sugar rush. I did for 2 of them, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:
I told you Jeff jcam222 jcam222 I wanted Pumpkin donuts. ( not everyone likes coconut so just dipped 3 ).

16.JPG

17.JPG

David

Heck of a cook and reviews! Man, gimme a couple of those donuts and a cup of coffee! After that meal they would go great.

Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Heck of a cook and reviews! Man, gimme a couple of those donuts and a cup of coffee! After that meal they would go great.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the love and the comment

Yes I can see this smoker being a lot of fun to have around.
And the donuts were great, they stayed a little flat ( did not raise as much as my last ones ,
But still tasty and the glaze was perfect flavour.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
I had no doubt you would knock it out of the park. Very well done.

Thanks Colin for the like and the comment

Nice of you to say, it was a real good roast, and everyone loved it.

And I like you said am really liking the WSM and not really as small as I thought ,
maybe when I try to pack it with ribs. But I have seen some " S " racks for ribs that might work.

I think ( I know ) I am going to have some fun with this .
The only problem is I only have 7 months to find another good deal on one to take to the RV, lol

David

Excellent looking meal.. well done ...

As for a second WSM... They are very easy to make with the weber Smokey Joe kettle... I have two of them... What's really nice about them is you can still use the Smokey Joe as a grill when needed to do steaks or burgers or whatever... Just search for Mini WSM's builds ...

Excellent looking meal.. well done ...

As for a second WSM... They are very easy to make with the weber Smokey Joe kettle... I have two of them... What's really nice about them is you can still use the Smokey Joe as a grill when needed to do steaks or burgers or whatever... Just search for Mini WSM's builds ...

Thanks Keith for the comment

It was a nice meal and yes the little WSM is a keeper for sure. I enjoyed using it
And the ThermoWorks things are great also and a good helping hand

I will have to look up the Mini WSM's builds , Thank you

David

Pork Loin Rib roast and beans , plus my thoughts on 14" WSM and ThermoWorks Signals and Thermapen

So just so no one gets bored and does not want to read everything, here is a picture of the meal
Pork rib roast , smoked beans ,mashed spuds and fried onions on gravy

View attachment 679720

So now to my story lol

Some know from other post the deal I got on the 14"WSM at a very good price

So here is my take only after a trial run then first smoke.

Saturday:
Very nice out so no pressure on the 14" smoker from the weather. So first the smoker is small, should say short, so I made a temp table to see if I like the height and added a fold down side table to hold the parts while smoking and removing parts while working on the smoke etc. This hint was from chopsaw chopsaw and Colin1230 Colin1230 . So started with 1/2 tray of charcoal ( I also did the first mod as mentioned by the same two guys ) wired the grate and ring together . that worked very good.

So lit coals right in the tray , added some wood just to see how it burned all together. Took about 30 minutes to get to 200 on my Thermo pen stuck through the side and it was in past the Burn Zone.
Approx 45 minutes to get to and hold at 250 deg. And I was not too hard to get to keep it dialed in . Could see smoke coming out from around the top lid and of coarse the top vent. ( on the first cook next day I noticed the smoke was less near end of the cook as the lid is starting to get a bit of a seal on it. ) Also I did move the ThermoPen so it was not touching the side just incase it wanted to melt.
Also I kept checking the table under the smoker for heat . The wood got warm and that was all. When I make the real table I will cover in heavy aluminum sheet stock that I have already. And for my height I think I will lower the table about 3" down from the temp. table height.

View attachment 679704 View attachment 679705

View attachment 679706 View attachment 679707

View attachment 679708 The ThermoPen stayed there for the whole test , it would go to sleep after a few seconds, just a little flic and it would show you a reading again

It kept the temp well , and after the 3 hour test run , I just let it burn out by its self. I was surprised how long half a tray of charcoal lasted and kept warm . But it was a very nice day.
I did well with this and think I am ready for some food tomorrow

Sunday:
Coated the 3 1/2 pound pork roast with some Q-Nami and Jeff's original rub mixed together, and in the fridge for the night. Pulled out an hour before going into the smoker.
ThermoWorks Signals was still in the box Sunday morning so put it on charge and at the same time I did the set up on my phone and , WOW this was very easy and just follow the prompts and all done in maybe 15 minutes . Left it on to charge until ready to take outdoors.

Today is very cool and a light wind so the smoker will be working harder then the test run.
Full ring of charcoal removed some from middle and into chimney to burn up hot. took about 40 minutes to get to my 270 +/- and held pretty good a little more playing with the vents to get it up there.
Brought out the Signals and set it in place. Put 1 probe under the top grate and 1 in the roast , and 1 just outside to tell me the outside air, It was 44 " F " here today.

View attachment 679709

View attachment 679711 View attachment 679712 View attachment 679710

Smoke is rolling very good 3 chunks of Cherry. After 1 hour I received an alert that temp dropped below my set temp. Went down to 220. I do not know why yet. Got it back up in about 10 minutes . Stayed pretty good after that.

Love the Signals and the app on my phone. I will be playing around with this to get more used to it . At that time will give a " What I think " between it and my Inkbird Q4.

So while the roast is smoking I cooked up a little bacon, chopped onions and celery and added to some beans , added a little Hickory BBQ sauce also .
I have foil trays that are 8 1/2" x 6 1/2" . and wouldn't you know they just fit through the side door of the smoker and right onto the bottom grill . I'm happy that way I did not have to remove the roast at all.
So with an hour and half to go put in the beans under to catch the drippings from the roast. 1 tray was more than enough for us, but I could have put 2 trays I that way no problem

View attachment 679713

So it took approx. 3 1/2 hours , pulled the roast and tented it until everything else was ready.

View attachment 679714

View attachment 679715

Some mashed with gravy and fried onions, baby carrots and corn niblets. Fresh Mustard pickles

View attachment 679721

Well folks , For the first cook/ smoke

I love this 14"WSM, and I think I am going to have a lot of fun with it .
The ThermoWorks Signals worked perfect and this will get used a lot more also, especially now my Inkbird seems to keep dropping the connecting lately
And the ThermaPen been using for a while , it works great also.

I know this was long but I wanted to get my thoughts on these 3 new to me items

Thanks for hanging in to the end .
And for doing so here is a prize for you ... sorry for me

In other smoker I made some Smoked Pumpkin donuts with Salted Maple Glaze , can you say sugar rush. I did for 2 of them, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:
I told you Jeff jcam222 jcam222 I wanted Pumpkin donuts. ( not everyone likes coconut so just dipped 3 ).

View attachment 679718
View attachment 679719

David
just a note. I'm sure somebody else suggested. ttemps on my WSM are a bunch higher toward the outside of the "barrel" I've learned for grate level temps to place my Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq probe as close to the meat and away from the sides. makes a big diffence on grate level temps.

just a note. I'm sure somebody else suggested. ttemps on my WSM are a bunch higher toward the outside of the "barrel" I've learned for grate level temps to place my Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq probe as close to the meat and away from the sides. makes a big diffence on grate level temps.

Thanks John, yes I read that about the Burn Zone from the info Colin Colin1230 Colin1230 sent me. I mentioned it in the first part of the thread during my test run.
Where I had the pen in past the area you mentioned also.

Thank you though, always a good thing to remind folks ( me as a forget things lol )
on my Thermo pen stuck through the side and it was in past the Burn Zone.

David

Thanks a pretty epic cook for a firsty David!

Thanks civil for the love and the comment

It was a good learning session on the 14" , and fun trying 3 new items for this smoke/cook
It was only a 3 1/2 pound roast . But gave me a good idea of how and where the heat is on the WSM
and time for this cook.

David

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky