Pulled Pork Tacos - Simplified and Reliable Dinner Timing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I have been craving some pulled pork tacos for a little while now so I thought the weekend would be perfect so we could eat them for the week. As I prepared this smoke, I thought I would document it so I could share with others a reliable and consistent way to do pulled pork and be able to plan a dinner time and to get a good night's sleep without the dreaded my smoker went out and I didn't hear my alarm. The day was actually a pretty nice day for a winter smoke......
IMG_7480.jpeg

Started with a 7lber.... was digging the 1.68/lb price!!
IMG_7477.jpeg

I like to 45 degree score the fat cap when do pork shoulder. I also like to add a mustard to get LOTS of rub but its not necessary. For this one I happed to grab a sweet and hot and then I like to use a Jeffs Original (modified) rub. For those that have Jeffs recipe, I double the key spices, replace 1/2 the sugar with sugar in the raw and add 2 Tbsp of powdered butter in. I season it up to what I call dropped in the sand....Its heavily seasoned!
IMG_7479.jpeg

Next I utilize the time in the smoker to develop a finishing/braising sauce. I happen to really like this flavor profile. 2 C, broth, 1-2 C cider, 2 Tbsp AP vinegar, 1 Tbsp chicken base and 3 Tbsp sugar in the raw.
IMG_7484.jpeg

Next is I always do my pork shoulders at 265. NOTE the time.....I put this shoulder on at 8:07 am. I started prep at 7:40.....
IMG_7482.jpeg

I did get a little carried away with the amount of liquid but thats ok, it will reduce more as the shoulder smokes. The reducing and developing a nice flavor packed sauce is the design.
IMG_7487.jpeg

I happened to get these flowers for the wife and snapped a pic.... Help fight off the winter days......
IMG_7490.jpeg

Progress check... NOTE 11:45 the INT is 148 after just a little under 4 hours.... I will further note that when doing shoulders at 265 they will almost always be 140 to 145 in 4 hours' time. I have never had one that didn't get there in the initial smoke as I call it.
IMG_7497.png

NOTE the color and the bark formation and that the dropped in the sand seasoning doesn't appear to be over the top. Furthermore see the reducing liquid. I will usually taste it with a spoon just to make sure it is on point....oh and I just want a taste......
IMG_7495.jpeg

Note the time 1:22 pm....This is after 5 hours 15 mins of smoking....INT of 168. So my rule of thumb with a shoulder is to have it smoke at least 5 hours prior boating/braising and if a harder back is desired up to 7 hours before boating/braising. @ 5 hours shoulders should be 150 to 155, at 7 they are almost always 160 to 165. This one went pretty quick, but I watch for the bark more than INT.... My family doesn't like a supper dark bark so I wrap at when the bark looks like below. So in truth I don't even worry about INT till the end.....
IMG_7498.png

NOTE the "darker bark" and that the scored fat sections have more surface area so they render faster and more than non-scored. These are little diamonds of flavor. The sauces had reduced by 1/2 now as well. Its now time to drop it in the boat to braise while covered ( I do add on vent hole to allow some steam release.
IMG_7499.jpeg

Bingo...... 203 and NOTE 3:18! Once boated shoulders will take 1.5 to 2 hours to reach pulling temp. I have never had one take more than 2:15 min to do so. Therefore to verify dinner timing I always back up 3 hours from dinner as a min. IE if we want to eat at 6:00pm I want to wrap no later than 3pm. This timing will leave 2 hours to get to pull temp and 1 hour's rest time at 145 in the house oven. This one is done early, but no worries, it just goes in the house oven at 145 till pull time.....
IMG_7502.png

NOTE the bark color and you can see its looking tender. I ended up with more sauced than normal, but that's ok, when I pull the shoulder I only use what's needed to season it. I will note that by boating it some of the rendered goodness is captured which really adds to the overall flavor as well.
IMG_7503.jpeg

NOTE, with this hot and fast method a 1 hour rest is very very important and can't be eliminated. When pulled the results are tender textured port that isn't mushy. After I have pulled it I had the reserved liquids to enhance the flavor and add a sprinkle of salt as well. I also clean my pulled of un desirable parts that didn't render. I do however, have all the barked fat cap diamond pieces as they are full of flavor.
IMG_7506.jpeg

Oh and on to my craving.... Served with some cilantro lime rice and hot marinaded grilled GO
IMG_7507.jpeg

Craving satisfied!
IMG_7509.jpeg

So some final NOTES: if you review the timing of this cook, I started at 7:40 and after an hour of resting the shoulder was ready to pull at 4:20pm. Total time with prep time was 8 hours 40 minutes. I have done enough shoulders this way to know that I always plan on a 9 hour (prep, smoke, rest and to pull time to a guaranteed dinner time. So, if we want to eat at our usual 6 to 6:30 that means I need to be prepping the shoulder by 9 to 9:30 at the latest.

So in closing this is my method to simplified and reliable dinner time pulled pork and have a full night's sleep every time.

OH and the PS pic is desert....root beer float...... NOTE the frosted crystal glass!
IMG_7510.jpeg

Nice job Civil! Nice flowers as well... pretty colors in the winter time.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great ! Love the mustard , and nice job on the flowers . I used to send them to her at work . You get double points that way .
Thanks chop! The sweet hot mustard is good and some PP with cheese on a cracker with this mustard is yum!

My wife is at home so sending them to her “work” was the full double points! Lol.
Nice job Civil! Nice flowers as well... pretty colors in the winter time.

Ryan
Many thanks Ryan…..I have been missing my fire pics so I’ve been reduced to taking pics of flowers…..lol.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks great Civil, as usual. I’d hit those tacos hard for sure. Nice work.
Thanks SE! We have been on a taco kick l, especially since FINALLY get some taco holders for the house…… just perfect!
Great looking Tacos!! Great cook!!
Many thanks Red!
Outstanding!

Well documented,makes it very easy to follow.
Much appreciated norm! I’ve noticed more than a few help me pork butt posts recently and thought I would share how simple it “can” be just as long and smokers “choose” to not make it complicated…..

I've missed the fire pics too! But most of last week was fog and blah ... so I appreciate the colors! Tacos looked scrumptious as well!

Ryan

Loved it all, great job in every aspect of the cook! The root beer float really puts it over the top, been so long since I had one I forgot how wonderful they are. RAY

I've missed the fire pics too! But most of last week was fog and blah ... so I appreciate the colors! Tacos looked scrumptious as well!

Ryan
Yea the bright fresh colors was a really nice pick up for the wife for sure!
Great looking pork and tacos.
Thanks ron, much appreciated!
nice looking product. now thinking about the boat thing.
Many thanks fx! I'm a boater all the way for pork shoulders or chucks!.....Oh and I do it for brisket, but use rendered tallow as the base liquid.
Loved it all, great job in every aspect of the cook! The root beer float really puts it over the top, been so long since I had one I forgot how wonderful they are. RAY
Thanks Ray! I like to keep thinks simple as simple works!

The brand of root beer is particularly good in a float.....It also makes one feel a little "kidish" while savoring one.....LOL

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks great! LOVE PP Tacos! Ive never braised like that. I like the idea! Adding to the list. Nice work!

Excellent write up on the process. If I were only 1% as detailed. I need to make some pulled pork. Been too long. And to finish with a root beer float? You're killing me. When I was a kid the drive up A&W made killer root beer floats. As much as I loved them, the Vernor's ice cream float was even better...

Great step by step! And the finished product is perfect!

Jim
Thanks Jim! I know I alway over eat when pulling it…..just too tasty in the moment!!!
Beautiful plate! Super strong work
Much appreciated jcam!
Looks great! LOVE PP Tacos! Ive never braised like that. I like the idea! Adding to the list. Nice work!
Thanks sandy!! After doing chucks o plenty like this so one day the light went on and bam bam it was born and now the wife has announced I’m not to change a thing!
Excellent write up on the process. If I were only 1% as detailed. I need to make some pulled pork. Been too long. And to finish with a root beer float? You're killing me. When I was a kid the drive up A&W made killer root beer floats. As much as I loved them, the Vernor's ice cream float was even better...
Many thanks Mr whip! Pulled pork fits a craving for sure and oh root beer floats….. I still remember making root beer at home with home made ice cream…… now that was a float!

Reactions: sandyut
Note: That is one beautiful smoke Civil, and the flowers are a nice added touch.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great ! Love the mustard , and nice job on the flowers . I used to send them to her at work . You get double points that way .
Not to mention putting her co-workers husbands in the dog house.

Note: That is one beautiful smoke Civil, and the flowers are a nice added touch.

Point for sure
Chris

Not to mention putting her co-workers husbands in the dog house.
Thanks Chris! Its been a while since I have done a full post, most of the past ones have been just a show with little telling....

Oh....You do realize that my wife's "co-workers" are ME and the boy....... So we can be in the dog house and be happy about it....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky