Hybrid Insulated Cabinet T-Pit Smoker Build (Long And Mega Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you sir!! It may not be an X-Fire or Copper Pot but the concept thus far is working beautifully. The proof will be in the pudding a bit later.

Well, you helped more than that as you well know. In addition I believe you have been the inspiration for the name. I'm considering calling this the Hy-Fyre. The Hy being for hybrid. Kinda silly but so far it's the best I've come up with.

Robert
Hy-Fyre! Love it! I’m a one of a kind kind of person a you you nailed that!

I spent my life doing finish carpentry as well as building custom furniture and cabinets. The biggest mental setback I had was finally coming to the realization that when working with steel there's no way to get that same level of precision as when working with wood. I beat myself to death of the first couple projects trying to make them look like a piece of furniture and it's just not happening.

That is a beauty Robert, Good thing your patio is concrete as there is a little weight on those casters.

Yes going from fine woodworking to anything else is a hard thing to adjust to especially steel fabs. Over the years working in the carpentry industry it was always kind of a running joke on construction sites , that when someone is taking a little longer or being to fussy on rough framing or what ever, we would always say come on now your not building a piano there :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_construction_worker:

But you sir have mastered the steel fab just fantastic for only doing this for a year or so. From plan to build just a great project. in my humble opinion.

David

Outstanding job! Nice craftsmanship! I am really Impressed! You should of painted it desert brown and stenciled M1 ABRAMS on the side because that thing is a tank!
I appreciate the kind words. Your comment is more correct than you may know. The steel supplier pulled the wrong steel from what I ordered and gave me much heavier gauge material than I ordered and paid for. This thing is grossly over built :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Looks like one hell of a fantastic build Robert. You never give up, I like that
Thanks so much Eric. Can't quit when you have a fortune tied up in materials and a ton of time devoted :emoji_laughing:
I’m anxious to see those Dino’s when they come off this pit.
Got the Dino ribs done. They were excellent but fell short in one category. We will be talking more later :emoji_wink:

Robert

Robert, when you said you were building another smoker, I just knew it was going to be spectacular and you proved me right!!
Very much appreciate it Charles. This turned out to be a much more involved build than I anticipated but thus far I'm loving the results.

Robert

That is a beauty Robert, Good thing your patio is concrete as there is a little weight on those casters.
Thank you David. You are correct that this thing is a beast. Far and again the heaviest cooker I've done to date. As many of them as
I've rolled out to the patio and back, this is the first one that I needed help with.
But you sir have mastered the steel fab just fantastic for only doing this for a year or so. From plan to build just a great project. in my humble opinion.
Being of the engineering ilk I'm far better at coming up with ideas than I am bringing them to fruition. This one came out pretty well though.

Robert

I appreciate the kind words. Your comment is more correct than you may know. The steel supplier pulled the wrong steel from what I ordered and gave me much heavier gauge material than I ordered and paid for. This thing is grossly over built :emoji_wink:

Robert
Always load for bear and you will always be prepared!😁

Catching up on threads...just now reading through this. Very nice build there Robert!

This one is a totally different concept from any of my other smokers. The intent is to run charcoal and wood for my primary heat source with propane as supplemental heat to dial temps in precisely where I want them. It worked!!
Yep. Exact same concept I use in my vertical smoker. If you put some 4d nails in the outer ring on that burner, it will half the BTU's and give you a much finer control on the heat. Will also help prevent flame out in the wind...

Oh- and when is production stepping up? You could probably sell those!

Beautiful build. No pics of the Dino ribs, wth! :) Downsizing, wth, lol

Do you have any problems with the smoke putting out the burner and no you run a thermocouple for safety.

Beautiful build.
Thank you.
No pics of the Dino ribs, wth! :)
Yes, the Dino ribs were done and posted.
Downsizing, wth, lol
That's correct....downsizing.
Do you have any problems with the smoke putting out the burner
Uh...no. The smoke goes up into the CC, the burner is down low and never the twain shall meet.
no you run a thermocouple for safety.
Nope. Not necessary. Plenty of ventilation if the burner should go out for some reason, but in 15 years of running smokers like this and thousands of cooks, it's never happened.

Robert

Reactions: okiwen
I know this is an old thread at his point, but I love the hybrid idea. The charcoal/wood flavor and the propane consistency is awesome. I have zero welding skill, but I'm going to buy a welder and build a smoker with these ideas in mind. Maybe an offset firebox with propane under the grill portion…hmmm

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky