Insulated smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BMFRanch

Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Hey Fellas,
I am in the process of building a “shit house“ smoker. 5x5x6. I am in a toss up for the interior, I would like to use spruce plywood, and am unsure what to use for insulation. The pink panels would be handy but would the let off any toxins? How do they work. I will be smoking in the cold Canadian winter -20C. Heat source will be LPG and possibly an indirect wood fired box off to the side. Any insite or ideas on how to insulate safely and efficiently would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

I have a 3x3x7’ smokehouse. Built from spruce plywood. My plan was to insulate the outside then cover that with barn wood. Haven’t done it yet, not really warranted but still would be handy here in the mountains of Colorado.

I'd keep the inside stainless. Hardee Board types of concrete boards are cheap and easily handle the temp but will leave a dirty taste in your food. Firebrick that's been taken to kiln-like temperatures will be clean but will add bulk to your build and aren't cheap. But if you've got 30+ amps avail at 240V just a half inch air gap (metal box in a box) will be more than adequate. For the tall side walls throwing in a few steel wool pads that you've pulled apart to 5x their starting size will break up any convectively-driven hot air currents and will really gild the lily.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky