Firebox size for pipe pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bristol0117

Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
Hi all, having a go at making a pipe style pit and I’m worried that I’ve not made the fire box big enough, I’ve done a 500mm square box to a 500x1200 chamber, have I f**ked it or will I be okay ? For my colonial cousins that’s 19.7 inch square firebox to 19.7x47.2 inch pipe
6mm thick steel
Cheers

Hi all, having a go at making a pipe style pit and I’m worried that I’ve not made the fire box big enough, I’ve done a 500mm square box to a 500x1200 chamber, have I f**ked it or will I be okay ? For my colonial cousins that’s 19.7 inch square firebox to 19.7x47.2 inch pipe
6mm thick steel
Cheers

Hello Bristol0117!

Sorry you haven't had any responses before now - sometimes questions do get overlooked. Hopefully my response isn't too late to help you.

From the dimensions you've given, it seems your firebox is too big by a bit.

I plugged your numbers into my favorite online pit calculator, which by the way, you can find here:

If I've entered the numbers correctly, it's telling me that your size differential between cook chamber and fire box is 162.5%. I had a professional pit builder tell me that it's ideal to keep that number between 100 and 110%. Is is too late to reduce the dimensions of your FB by a little?

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky