should smoke roll off the hole time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

links16877

Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
ok i got a nob thing to ask. i was not sure where to post this ok so when i am smoking some thing from beef to cheese should smoke be rolling off my smoker the hole time thanks

links
most meat stops absorbing smoke when the temp of the meat reaches 140 degrees so if you smoke after it reaches 140 the smoke does not stick to the meat hope that makes sense i would say no you do not need smoke rolling the whole time

it should be tbs............not rolling the whole time.........

low slow with as thin as blue smoke you can get......wisp's........

hth

d8de

it not blue or its to dark to tell it just looks like brown wood smoke ( i think)

like chubber said........once the meat or poultry reaches 140..........lose the smoke.........its a waste of smoking material.........not sure how you are smoking, wether its tric, propane, or stick.........but after 140.......you can stop adding what ever it is you are using to create smoke

hth

d8de

good point blackhawk........tho since i use it as cologne......hard for me to tell.........
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

d8de

I'm not trying to start a riot here. But it's the smoke ring that stops at approx. 140º. You can add smoke flavor during the whole smoke. Which is why you should be very light on the smoke, especially if burning wood instead of charcoal, gas, or electric. If you are smoking meat that you will be wrapping or covering in foil.. then stop adding wood for smoke and just continue on with your normal fuel source to the end.

The topic is discussed on this forum, other forums, and the net. Please feel free to search it out. Please be careful not to confuse the smoke ring with smoke flavor.. you can over due the smoke flavor.

Keep Smokin

I'm with Piggy on this one. It gets confusing but the meat will absorb smoke flavor the whole time it's smoking but the smoke ring stops forming at 140 degrees.

Think of it like this if it didn't absorb smoke flavor you'd never be able to get over smoked food.

Well spoken Pigcicles, I've read alot of threads asking the same question on when to stop the smoke. I stop the smoke when I'm done smokeing. On my ribs today, I foiled them, let the wood burn out. When it was time to unfoil and put them back on for the last hour, kick the smoke back on them. But the whole time it was a THIN BLUE SMOKE, hey I heard that saying before.

yeah........till i found this place i smoked thru the whole cook.........

never had oversmoked myself.............

you and me rich......till the wheels fall off........LMAO

d8de

i have smoke going the whole time, but i love mesquite flavor- which is what i mostly use. i have never had too much smoke flavor in my meat. but like was said, the smoke ring stops forming at 140°. the meat takes the smoke flavor the whole time it is exposed to it.

I throw smoke to it the whole time. I'm using mostly wood coals for fuel in my charcoal smokers, so I have smoke going the whole time. I don't think I have over-smoked anything. I love a lot of smoke flavor as does most everyone else in my family.

I did a smoke this weekend and everything came out great except the eye of round, The butt was excellent. But, the round I over cooked because my wife won't eat anything that's still mooing. I tried to tell her that every cut of meat is different and should be cooked/smoked to a different temp to obtain the desired results. It tasted good, but a little over-cooked for my taste. I'm pulling the next one at 140° instead of 150°. She has never had Prime Rib, so I guess I had better put that on the wish list. Or, maybe take her out for some before I invest in that expensive cut of meat.

i agree w/ pigcicles,debi,& chris. like chris,i can handle quite a bit of mesquite tatse but for lighter palates i may slack off the mesquite through the whole burn & go w/ apple,maple, or cherry. you can always preburn your sticks & add the coals throughout the process. remember if wood is burning-you're getting smoke even if you can't see it. here's my tips..
1) use well cured wood
2) thin blue or just the smell-not white & billowing
3) fruit woods are milder than hard woods(lighter wood IS lighter flavor).
hope it helps...

well i think i over smoked it. all i could taste was the smoke and not the rub. the skin came off. but the bird had a lot of juice

Pigcycle is right on with this-It's the smoke ring that stops forming. Meat is like a sponge-as long as the smoke is flowing, the meat will take it up. Ever had meat that tasted like it had too much smoke? I have and that is why you should smoke to suit your liking. If my wood chunks are equal in size, I go through more cherry and apple than I do mesquite only because mesquite produces a stronger smoke.

If you plan to wrap the meat in foil during the cooking process you can quit adding wood unless you enjoy making the neighbors crazy and/or jealous

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky