What should I do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok guys now I have a new problem. It looks like something is boring holes in my wood. I didn't notice any holes when I brought the wood home. They seem to just go straight in and are about 1/4 diameter. What does it look like to you guys? Is this a major problem? The pic shows the same piece, top is the same pic that's in my original post and bottom is from today.
View attachment 692004
That’s from wood boring beetles laying larvae in those holes. I have a pile of pecan logs I didn’t split and store properly just like that. It’s a non issue as far as smoking goes. Make sure you store it off the ground. They will move on as your moisture drops

I'll probably have enough wood for the next 5 to 10 years lol.
I remember thinking that when I brought 2 F150 beds full of pecan home. I had so much I'd start a fire in my fire pit and shovel pecan coals into my rig and top them with bought fist sized chunks of cherry. Made the best food I've ever eaten in my life, but it went quick. I did have a pile out of my ex-bil's place that I'd bring home a few dozen lengths from time to time.
That’s from wood boring beetles laying larvae in those holes. I have a pile of pecan logs I didn’t split and store properly just like that. It’s a non issue as far as smoking goes. Make sure you store it off the ground. They will move on as your moisture drops
I burned a lot of bug remains in my life. I've tossed a few termites in a stick burner more than a few times I reckon, especially at 3AM when I was a bit bleary eyed.

Here's an ash tree I cut down last summer . Not for smoking , but that's from an ash boring beetle . You might be surprised at the amount of " bug parts " the FDA allows in food . No worries in the smoking wood .
20240216_164421.jpg

Reactions: racerjohnbf
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky