How to smoke jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbiesmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Huntington, In.
Last time I did eye of round jerky I laid it on the grates of my smoker, turned out OK but a couple pcs stuck. Is there something I could use or do to keep this from happening again? I've thought about the toothpick thing and let them hang. Thanks in advance for any info.

Reactions: JLeonard
Last time I did eye of round jerky I laid it on the grates of my smoker, turned out OK but a couple pcs stuck. Is there something I could use or do to keep this from happening again? I've thought about the toothpick thing and let them hang. Thanks in advance for any info.
I'm also a fan of the nonstick matts like these and use something like this for my ground meat jerky I do in my MES :
71oXY0orrNL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: newbiesmoker
Well also the temp of the smoke maybe to high? hard to control some smokers to get the best temp/smoke, the grilling mats are cheap and will help a lot.

I smoke eye of the round on hickory wood coals two weeks ago and people are wanting more after handing out samples.
Only smoke 2 hours at 160 - 180 max on hickory wood but nothing but the coals and the flavor will be great. You can spray your grates with vegetable oil to keep from sticking. After two hours on hickory coals finish 8 hours on dehydrator.
1 cup soy sauce
2 cups filtered water
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper medium grind.
When smoking on the hickory (do not) let the hickory smolder and do not soak the hickory in water. Smoke on nothing but the hickory coals. My hickory coals are not from lump charcoal it was made from hickory wood. There is a HUGE difference

Attachments

• IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4556.jpeg
    IMG_4556.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky