Unstuffing the Cabbage Roll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks fantastic. Totally stealing this concept! Been dying to dial in a golumpki recipe (polish version) but kept wimping out with the cabbage leaves/stuffing. Pretty sure the stuff I had was all pork (maybe sausage?) with kraut rice and dill. Got turned onto it a polish wedding and it blew my mind.

Looks great John , and love cabbage rolls, but must admit I normally just eat the innards. I like cabbage just not a lot and love it raw also.
I can see this being made here. As Mona and her mom Love a good cabbage roll.
Thanks for the how to.

David
You are so welcome David
I have always believed that when something is posted for others to enjoy a step by step with the ingredients should be included. I love to share recipes rather than keeping them secret. When they are secretes they will die with you. I would rather share.

Take care,

John

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks fantastic. Totally stealing this concept! Been dying to dial in a golumpki recipe (polish version) but kept wimping out with the cabbage leaves/stuffing. Pretty sure the stuff I had was all pork (maybe sausage?) with kraut rice and dill. Got turned onto it a polish wedding and it blew my mind.
Didn't know that the Polish version added dill. Kraut and rice are pretty much the norm for all nationalities.

I have a version in my links below. Check out the Stuffed Cabbage Rolls under Ethnic.
I really believe you will like them and they are fun to make.

Take care,
John

Reactions: zwiller
Fantastic!!! I would eat that all day long. I love cabbage and stewed maters!

During Pittsburgh's industrial heyday, many small ethnic communities sprung up around the steel mills . Western Pennsylvania attracted many immigrants from Eastern Europe who brought with them their wonderful cultural cuisine. One of these delicious recipes were Halupkis, which are stuffed cabbage rolls. These wonderful rolls can be time consuming to prepare but are always worth the effort. However, for those with time constraints, this can be an easy alternative.

Unstuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
3 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (14.5 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper (more to taste)
1 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)

View attachment 686707

Preparation:

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the ground beef and onions, stirring until the ground beef is no longer pink and the onions are tender.*
Add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and salt & pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil and stir regularly.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.

Easy Peasy!

*After frying the meat and onions the whole recipe can be completed in a slow cooker if desired.

Meat and onions frying away:
View attachment 686708

Cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and salt & pepper added:
View attachment 686709

After 30 minutes of simmering:
View attachment 686712

Cabbage will give off additional water when cooked. If you feel the mixture is too watery you can continue simmering with the lid off until you are satisfied with the texture.

Enjoying the fruits of your labor.
View attachment 686713

This recipe should yield 6 to 8 servings.

Enjoy,

John
What a delicious meal. I miss my grandmother's cabbage rolls.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Thanks,
If you look in my links under Ethnic, I have a step by step for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls which I really think you will enjoy.

John
Going to try this unstuffed recipe, too. I have made John's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls and they are great!!

Going to try this unstuffed recipe, too. I have made John's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls and they are great!!
Thanks Charles,

Really appreciate the kind words.

John

No worries! I'm going to try it this weekend as it's supposed to rain. Probably scale it down to half. I could eat my weight in stuffed cabbage. As with everyone, my mom made killer stuffed cabbage.
Whip,

There is no problem making a full recipe. The mixture freezes very well. . .I just put what's left in 1 quart deli containers and freeze for future use. Just as good after thawing and re-heating.

Enjoy,

John

Reactions: mr_whipple
That is some tasty looking grub. I just made some stuffed cabbage last week but your post has me in the mood for it all over again. Not only does it look good but the recipe seems infinitely easier than mine.
Thanks for the recipe.

Having Grandparents that imagrated from Ukraine to Canada during the 2 world war I have ate my share of cabbage. When I was a kid I hated cooked cabbage. Cabbage soup (kapuśniak) and caggage rolls (hólubtsi). Was not untill my late 40's I started to recreate my moms recipes. So I have made a lot of cabbage rolls in my time. Very time comsuming but done right they are very good.

Whip,

There is no problem making a full recipe. The mixture freezes very well. . .I just put what's left in 1 quart deli containers and freeze for future use. Just as good after thawing and re-heating.

Enjoy,

John
I'm doing it tonight.. yesterday turned into pot roast day. And yep.. gonna make a full batch!

Having Grandparents that imagrated from Ukraine to Canada during the 2 world war I have ate my share of cabbage. When I was a kid I hated cooked cabbage. Cabbage soup (kapuśniak) and caggage rolls (hólubtsi). Was not untill my late 40's I started to recreate my moms recipes. So I have made a lot of cabbage rolls in my time. Very time comsuming but done right they are very good.
My mom immigrated from Greece and had no idea what cabbage rolls were. She learned from our wonderful Polish neighbor lady. My mom of course refused to accept the recipes from her unless our neighbor agreed to learn my mom's Greek dishes.

What a food fest that must have been!

Of course I was too young to remember any of that but believe me, growing up in Homestead PA. was a wonderful time in my life mingling with all of the different nationalities that settled there. I miss those days.

Take care my friend,

John

Let us know how you like it. . .or not.

John
Excellent! So simple yet incredibly satisfying. Had a huge bowl for supper, and another a while ago at my desk for breakfast.

20240129_181352.jpg
20240130_070533.jpg

I think next time I eat it a splash of vinegar and maybe some red pepper flakes will be added to the bowl. Either way I'm lovin' it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Excellent! So simple yet incredibly satisfying. Had a huge bowl for supper, and another a while ago at my desk for breakfast.

I think next time I eat it a splash of vinegar and maybe some red pepper flakes will be added to the bowl. Either way I'm lovin' it.
So happy to help make others happy!

I'm glad you enjoyed it and your additions for next time sound great!

John

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky