Ref; Going to do a boneless Butt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So I was asked when people were going to Wally World <Which I hate going to> If I wanted to try and smoke a boneless butt, I figured why not.

I'm planning to do a treatment of injecting it with Cajun Seasoning Creole Garlic Butter, then mustard and a rub. Standard thing...

Is there any thing I should be aware on this that is different then bone in before I smoke it? I was planning to do it overnight as always. In the interest of comparing to my normal, I won't be doing hot and fast method.

<Got some chicken thighs I thawed out for dinner tonight..just gonna pan fry with a flour coating, then finish in the oven, use that pan drippings for gravy..>

I was a bit off on the pricing it seems; when I last went, they had boneless on sale, but this was only about a dollar more a pound, probably not overly worth it for pulled pork, but worth it for making buckboard bacon.

We mostly get the boneless, because that's what our Costco sells. Cook it the same way you would a bone-in.

Chris

BTW it sounds good with the injection.

Bone in, or Bone out? I look at it as: Do I want to pay by the pound for bone? Not usually. Ham is the exception.
The wife makes a pot of Navy Bean Soup with a ham bone in it. So Yummie!

I don't mind going to Wallyworld if I have time to enjoy watching the Walmartian's I occasionally see there.
But I've been surprised on occasion when someone who appears normal, proves they are a Walmartian in front of me in line. (You know, the ones with 10 maxed out credit cards, but they have to try every one before using cash for a sub-ten dollar purchase. Yup, Walmartian in disguise.)
I've been burned a time or two with Walmart's frozen or fresh meats. So I go to Sam's Club, the Walmart you pay to shop at.
Mostly because I don't rank high enough to have my own Costco card. Those are reserved for my wife and her Daughter only. Costco will only issue 2 cards. So the girls each have one, and between them they manage to accumulate enough money, credits, or whatever, to pay for the membership.
But the Sam's Club was rolled into a Business account, and I think it allows 5 cards (Maybe 10?) on the one membership, and early shopping hours (which I really like). So we all have a card.
I've been real happy with Meats and fresh foods from Sam's Club.
YMMV

I've done nothing butt boneless..pun intended!

So cheap here at Market Basket.For the small amount you pay more for boneless,its totally worth it.

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
I've done nothing butt boneless..pun intended!

So cheap here at Market Basket.For the small amount you pay more for boneless,its totally worth it.

A boneless butt is squishy indeed...
I've always wondered how boneless chickens ever walk around.

We mostly get the boneless, because that's what our Costco sells. Cook it the same way you would a bone-in.

Chris

BTW it sounds good with the injection.
I have determined for me adding in the injection means I can taste flavour from it. Rubs are still largely some thing I view as part of the process but I can never -taste- the rub. But I'm starting to inject any thing I'll grill or smoke. It's hard to not like having all that flavour right in the meat.

Bone in, or Bone out? I look at it as: Do I want to pay by the pound for bone? Not usually. Ham is the exception.
The wife makes a pot of Navy Bean Soup with a ham bone in it. So Yummie!

I don't mind going to Wallyworld if I have time to enjoy watching the Walmartian's I occasionally see there.
But I've been surprised on occasion when someone who appears normal, proves they are a Walmartian in front of me in line. (You know, the ones with 10 maxed out credit cards, but they have to try every one before using cash for a sub-ten dollar purchase. Yup, Walmartian in disguise.)
I've been burned a time or two with Walmart's frozen or fresh meats. So I go to Sam's Club, the Walmart you pay to shop at.
Mostly because I don't rank high enough to have my own Costco card. Those are reserved for my wife and her Daughter only. Costco will only issue 2 cards. So the girls each have one, and between them they manage to accumulate enough money, credits, or whatever, to pay for the membership.
But the Sam's Club was rolled into a Business account, and I think it allows 5 cards (Maybe 10?) on the one membership, and early shopping hours (which I really like). So we all have a card.
I've been real happy with Meats and fresh foods from Sam's Club.
YMMV
Feel free to send me a Sam's Club card ;) I actually have no idea if the one near me even carries pork belly or side pork, and trying to find out via their support largely has been useless, but Costco does. One of them Catch-22's ..and I've never been burned on pork butt etc at Walmart, heck ours will put the last one or two pieces of a case on discount. I always check for that. Paying 88 cents or less per pound? That to me is a darn good deal!

Thanks for the info ya'all! Hopefully I actually remain awake long enough to get this in around 10 PM or so. <Being up at 7:30 AM for a call from the SSI people to discuss my request was less then fun. Since I normally wake up around 10 AM due to medication! Oi!>

I don't know why this is bugging me, but suddenly it is.

I plan to inject it, then apply rub. What if I did the rub, then injected?

I already plan to likely not use a mustard base, and just put rub on half, put in the fridge for a half hour, then flip and do the other half and inject it. I just don't see a reason to do the injection first, as once you begin working the rub in, it tends to make a mess and come out. Unless there is some health concern here I am unaware of?

<Planning to use Weber KC rub, haven't properly used it yet..and some vague hope I can taste it would be nice for a change lol>

Reactions: SonnyE
Just got her in a bit ago...now I'm just making sure the pellets are going...I was holding a flashlight in my mouth to take the shot in the smoker. I should..probably learn how to use flash etc on my S7 LOL I ended up basically using, in my estimation 6 ounces to 7 ounces of Creole Garlic from Cajun Injector. Wanted to finish the jar..and I only used at most, half that the last time and we loved it. If it is to much this time..well, it'll be used in fried rice.

I am just hoping those darn pellets stay going.

Attachments

• 20180804_214357.jpg
    20180804_214357.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180804_234316.jpg
    20180804_234316.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180805_001623.jpg
    20180805_001623.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 10
I don't know why this is bugging me, but suddenly it is.

I plan to inject it, then apply rub. What if I did the rub, then injected?

I already plan to likely not use a mustard base, and just put rub on half, put in the fridge for a half hour, then flip and do the other half and inject it. I just don't see a reason to do the injection first, as once you begin working the rub in, it tends to make a mess and come out. Unless there is some health concern here I am unaware of?

<Planning to use Weber KC rub, haven't properly used it yet..and some vague hope I can taste it would be nice for a change lol>

Well, that sounds logical to me Tom.
But then, I typically hate injections. Even if it isn't my butt, or arm.
Do you suppose rubbing after injecting might spread the marinade (or injectable) further into the meat? (Rather than cause it to be dejected. (Is that a word?)
IE: The Doc or Nurse gives you a shot. You rub it to reduce the lump, and warm the refrigerated liquid.

I'm thinking about injecting some day. My thoughts are towards using Blue Cheese, or Ranch Dressing.
I have this delusion of a Pork Roast injected with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing.
My wife sez people in hell want ice water, too. (She doesn't like Pork Roast.) :(
So far, I'm a rubber or a saucer. But have an interesting injector I'd like to fool with.

Well, that sounds logical to me Tom.
But then, I typically hate injections. Even if it isn't my butt, or arm.
Do you suppose rubbing after injecting might spread the marinade (or injectable) further into the meat? (Rather than cause it to be dejected. (Is that a word?)
IE: The Doc or Nurse gives you a shot. You rub it to reduce the lump, and warm the refrigerated liquid.

I'm thinking about injecting some day. My thoughts are towards using Blue Cheese, or Ranch Dressing.
I have this delusion of a Pork Roast injected with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing.
My wife sez people in hell want ice water, too. (She doesn't like Pork Roast.) :(
So far, I'm a rubber or a saucer. But have an interesting injector I'd like to fool with.
Well my theory was that as the meat heats up; the injection spreads through etc. I know if I do the injection first, some of it ends up basically being forced out and it just makes a mess- honestly I suspect it makes no true difference since this will be pulled pork, the flavours oughta be well spread when pulled you know?

I don't see why you couldn't <if you got the right injector> do the bleu cheese thing. Might be hard to do if the cheese clogs up the ports on the needle...but other then that, it oughta work. I did this same injection on boneless skinless breast and it basically just sat in the middle and I do believe that is because there isn't much fat etc to break down inside and move things around. Where as if I had done it on a thigh or drummie, there would be more flavour in a smaller piece. I know some one, and it mighta been Al, mighta been Al's posts I saw it in... Well they injected the wing sauce inside the wing. I think it was Al!

I started injecting because either I am -entirely- running my BBQ, or my taste buds are shot. I can use any rub in the world, it has no distinct flavour to me. But I can taste the injection, I might just end up melting butter and adding rub and stock to it and using that in the future. <Having been a heavy smoker for a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if I have ruined my taste buds>.

Just get a small butt some time and do an injection like this..and then make fried rice with the pulled pork. I have family members who claim they dislike pork up and down for days but they devoured a batch of that I made before. If you use this sort of flavour injection, you really don't need to season the fried rice much. Just some seaseme oil, and soy sauce. <I use seaseme oil more to flavour it then out right fry it, because it ain't cheap, so Canola oil is in there too..but it has about no taste!>

Honestly; I don't think I'll go back to non injected products again unless asked not to do it. For me it's way better and I can actually taste the injection. A nice garlickly pulled pork with a light mustard sauce is where it is at..

A nice garlickly pulled pork with a light mustard sauce is where it is at..

Whew-Hoo! I hear ya Tom!
I was looking at our injector, and I agree, the holes do appear small for my dreamy eyed idea. I thought we had a straight barreled needle point that I was thinking of using so it would make veins of the blue cheese injected as withdrawn.
Usually garlic is inserted into knife punctures for me. But the SIL made a pork roast where he crushed the cloves and stuffed the pulverized garlic into the holes, then browned the roast in EVOO in a dutch oven. Then we covered and placed it on his new Weber gas grill to cook in the covered dutch oven.
Boy howdy, that roast didn't stand a chance at the dinner table!
I think I'm going to do some serious experimenting with our injector.

I'm thinking I should start simple. Just a clear injectable, before I go hog wild with a grease gun. LOL!

OK, gotta get motivating. ;)

Whew-Hoo! I hear ya Tom!
I was looking at our injector, and I agree, the holes do appear small for my dreamy eyed idea. I thought we had a straight barreled needle point that I was thinking of using so it would make veins of the blue cheese injected as withdrawn.
Usually garlic is inserted into knife punctures for me. But the SIL made a pork roast where he crushed the cloves and stuffed the pulverized garlic into the holes, then browned the roast in EVOO in a dutch oven. Then we covered and placed it on his new Weber gas grill to cook in the covered dutch oven.
Boy howdy, that roast didn't stand a chance at the dinner table!
I think I'm going to do some serious experimenting with our injector.

I'm thinking I should start simple. Just a clear injectable, before I go hog wild with a grease gun. LOL!

OK, gotta get motivating. ;)
You know what makes things more crazy is there is garlic bbq pellets etc to go with your injection dreams? I haven't really seen them locally, but I got this hankering to order some, I can only imagine the rich aroma of a brisket smoking with those Italian Garlic Herb BBQ pellets from Lumberjack with a light injection of broth..

Also I'm going to hazard a guess that if you let the dressing warm up a bit; the bleu cheese might be fairly easy to force through the needle.

Pulled it off about 10 minutes ago, gonna let it rest a bit then start pulling it apart. Hopefully it comes apart easy..

Attachments

• 20180805_180730.jpg
    20180805_180730.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky