Changed how I do ribs…wow!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikelets456

Original poster
Aug 10, 2023
For the past 5 years or so I’ve been smoking ribs on my Weber Smokey mountain smoker. I would do a basic pork rub and the 2-2-1method. Now I got an Oakford 790 and decided to give it a go a different way. I got the 3 pack of St. Louis style ribs from Costco, rubbed them with a home made Memphis style rib rub and let them sit 24 hours overnight wrapped. I got all preheated and set for 250 deg f and put the ribs on cold. Left them on close to 6 hours, internal temps were 198-201 degrees f then I did the bend test. We sat the ribs in a foil pan covered for about a half hour then served them.
OMG these were the best ribs I ever had. We also drizzled hot honey on one rack of ribs and smeared it for the last 15 minutes of the cook. I couldn’t get pics because we were taking them to a friend’s house and we were running late. But I took a picture of what was left.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpeg
    IMG_2108.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 117
If thats all that was left out of 3 slabs you did good!
When you run across a method that works its always good.

Jim

Reactions: mikelets456
For the past 5 years or so I’ve been smoking ribs on my Weber Smokey mountain smoker. I would do a basic pork rub and the 2-2-1method. Now I got an Oakford 790 and decided to give it a go a different way. I got the 3 pack of St. Louis style ribs from Costco, rubbed them with a home made Memphis style rib rub and let them sit 24 hours overnight wrapped. I got all preheated and set for 250 deg f and put the ribs on cold. Left them on close to 6 hours, internal temps were 198-201 degrees f then I did the bend test. We sat the ribs in a foil pan covered for about a half hour then served them.
OMG these were the best ribs I ever had. We also drizzled hot honey on one rack of ribs and smeared it for the last 15 minutes of the cook. I couldn’t get pics because we were taking them to a friend’s house and we were running late. But I took a picture of what was left.
What's left looks great! Old habits are hard to break. I did 3-2-1 with a wrap on my MB gravity since i got it. Last year at the S Florida Gathering I made myself deviate from the wrap, and cut own to 225. I got 2nd place on the friendly competition. I have since been reborn with a WSM 18" (wish I got the 22). I still cook with water in the pan and mine seems to settle in at 237.
Labor day ribs took about 4hrs., No more wrap for me. Mama still likes Fall off the bone, but i watch too much TV and like a little tug. I posted mine lower on the forum.

Reactions: 801driver
We have never wrapped ribs. Just toss them on with a smoke tube around 225 - 250. BBQ sauce for the last 30 minutes or so.

Reactions: mikelets456
Nice cook
How did you like the no wrap.

Warren
Far better----there was a nice bark that wasn't too pronounced. The meat was consistent from first bite to the last.
I believe the 2-2-1 method has its place on "manual smokers" where temps fluctuate more rapidly. Also, I can't explain why, but when I ate one cold today, it tasted exactly how it did yesterday ...but cold. Wrapped tend to dry out the next day a bit more. Maybe due to the fact that they're wrapped and absorb moisture instead of rendering the fat???? Just a guess---but I will NOT go back to the wrapped method.

They look good, what's left anyway.
My wife and I could not believe how fast they went. These were a "side dish" at our friend's house. The main course was Filet mignon....the ribs stole the show---I felt kind of bad though...nah...LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Redicans
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky