Freezing Uncooked Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
I picked up a 3 pack of Costco baby back ribs yesterday for a smoke I was going to do today.
Now plans have changed so I am thinking of freezing them.
Any problems freezing them in the packaging they come in or is it better to individually vacuum seal each rack?
Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
How are they packaged?
Some come Cryovac others in Styrofoam tray with plastic wrap over.
Cryrovac can be frozen as is. The trays can be frozen as is but you will get ice crystals inside.
For those it would be best to vacuum seal, then freeze.

Reactions: ron50
Any problems freezing them in the packaging they come in or is it better to individually vacuum seal each rack?
Individual . Especially if they are close to a sell by date . If left together , it takes longer to freeze and longer to thaw . Maybe going forward you'll only want to do one rack as part of another cook .

Reactions: ron50 and 02ebz06
Packaged in cryovac. Got them yesterday and sell by date is tomorrow. I find that is the usual at the Costco I shop at. It's never more than 3 or 4 days.

I would freeze them individually as would be easier to store them in my already full freezer but I'm looking at all that liquid and thinking even when I drain it still going to be a mess using the vacuum sealer on them.

I would freeze them individually as would be easier to store them in my already full freezer but I'm looking at all that liquid and thinking even when I drain it still going to be a mess using the vacuum sealer on ththem.
Wash them down and pat them dry before you vacuum seal while using the 'moist' option to ensure a good seal. Your biggest concern would be bones poking through the bag.

As DougE DougE said, partially freeze works great.
You can also put a paper towel in the bag to absorb liquid heading toward the vacuum chamber.

I'd vac seal them.,my sealer has a moist/slow vac setting. Or like DougE DougE suggested a partial freeze before sealing will do the trick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky