Bacon grease for pork butt slather?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DinnerIsComing

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
Cedar Creek, TX
I have been sitting here, waiting for my work computers to finish crunching. As usual, I'm poking around at BBQ recipes (I was reading this pulled pork recipe)... then I came across this other article about saving bacon grease (which I've been doing since I can remember)...

And then it dawned on me -- use bacon grease as a slather on my next pork butt! :emoji_astonished: I mean, it sounds like a great idea to me at least, I'm a little astonished I'd never thought of it before! But I was wondering if any of you out there has ever tried it... you know, replacing mustard or some other type of oil you might use?

Just thinking about it aloud... see if anyone had a pro/cons on the idea...

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Hmmm I wonder though if when it starts to heat up if it would just run off the meat taking the rub with it? I’d be willing to try it though

Hmmm I wonder though if when it starts to heat up if it would just run off the meat taking the rub with it?
I hadn't considered that possibility. I'd have to think about it, but it seems that if you gave the butt long enough time to let the rub adhere, that might solve the problem. Added thought: wouldn't a standard mustard slather run the same risk of melting off?... and I've never seen that happen.

Many moons ago I would have dinner, regularly, at a Charleston's in Scottsdale AZ. One of their offerings was a rack of baby back ribs that, in spite of everything I have read and learned thereafter about smoking meat, was perfect every time. So good, in fact, that I once asked the proprietor how they managed to cook the ribs so well, and he gave me a tour "out back" of their cheap Brinkman offset smoker wherein they smoked the ribs (I've forgotten for how many hours) with hickory. Then, after they cooled a bit, they would "slather the ribs" in bacon fat, wrap them in Saran wrap, and put them in the fridge overnight. Whenever an order for baby backs came up they would grab a rack, unwrap it, reheat em on their gas fired lava-rock grill giving them an occasional mop with more bacon fat (the flare up visible from the dining room entertaining their guests), with a final mop of some barbecue sauce that was then allowed to set.

All I know is those baby backs were killer; not "competition" ribs because the bones came out clean. Still, the best I have ever tasted aside from some old neighbor woman my family knew when I was very young (I still cannot figure out what she put on those ribs).

So, who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: DemonPit
he gave me a tour "out back" of their cheap Brinkman offset smoker wherein they smoked the ribs (I've forgotten for how many hours) with hickory. Then, after they cooled a bit, they would "slather the ribs" in bacon fat, wrap them in Saran wrap, and put them in the fridge overnight. Whenever an order for baby backs came up they would grab a rack, unwrap it, reheat em on their gas fired lava-rock grill giving them an occasional mop with more bacon fat (the flare up visible from the dining room entertaining their guests), with a final mop of some barbecue sauce that was then allowed to set.
Damn, that sounds good! I may have to try and incorporate some of those techniques on my next set of ribs!

Reactions: Retired Spook
Damn, that sounds good! I may have to try and incorporate some of those techniques on my next set of ribs!
I see you are in the Ninth Circle of Hell too! You "could" wrap some ribs in foil and just leave them outside for a few hours and they'd be fully cooked!

I've been doing rain dances and offering smoke to the Gods but, no luck yet...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky