Bacon Infused Bourbon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
I was introduced to bourbon by a friend of mine a year or so ago. Since then, I've dabbled for a bit here and there. I enjoy an old fashioned, though beer tends to be my regular beverage of choice. Either way, I came across bacon infused bourbon and figured I'd give it a try with a small amount. I have some bacon grease and bourbon mixed in a pint jar letting it rest.

Is this something that's fairly common? Seemed kinda strange to me and I certainly wasn't going to try it with a new bottle.

I can't speak to bacon bourbon, but I recall a bacon vodka a few years back that was far less than stellar. Also that peanut butter stuff... screwball I think it is.. nasty 🤮🤮🤮

I do love me some good bourbon, but I've been turning to scotch of late.

Reactions: Colin1230 and nlife
It has to be better than the smoked bourbon I did a year or so ago. Way too smokey! Yeah, I would like to know how it turns out.

Reactions: nlife
It has to be better than the smoked bourbon I did a year or so ago. Way too smokey! Yeah, I would like to know how it turns out.
IMG_2527.jpeg

Love me a smoked old fashioned

but I recall a bacon vodka a few years back that was far less than stellar. Also that peanut butter stuff... screwball I think it is.. nasty 🤮🤮🤮
The distributors were pushing that stuff on the local bars and package stores.Needless to say but those bottles just sat there on the shelves.

I would like to try that, Jake. One glass at a time. I did a full 750 ml of Makers Mark. Couldn't make it better by cutting, just wasted more whiskey.

Reactions: nlife and TNJAKE
I would like to try that, Jake. One glass at a time. I did a full 750 ml of Makers Mark. Couldn't make it better by cutting, just wasted more whiskey.

This is what I was worried about so I did a small amount as a tester. I'd hate to waste a whole bottle.

I can't speak to bacon bourbon, but I recall a bacon vodka a few years back that was far less than stellar. Also that peanut butter stuff... screwball I think it is.. nasty 🤮🤮🤮

I do love me some good bourbon, but I've been turning to scotch of late.

I didn't care for any of the flavored vodka's either. I didn't see the peanut butter one, but there is no way I'd be trying that one.

My friend has a small collection of various Bourbon's and Scotch. Scotch was a bit much for my pallet. Particularly the Glenlivet.

Reactions: Colin1230
View attachment 688360

Love me a smoked old fashioned
Smoked with Rosemary? That's what we use out here, I've tried oak and a few other woods and always go back to the rosemary. We have a huge rosemary bush right out our back door, so it's always on hand.
I just use a small mesh colander that fits the top of our glasses and cover with an old tea saucer, light the rosemary and cover for a few seconds, it's good stuff. I throw the zest of one orange into a bottle of Bourbon and use a splash of that as well.

Good 💩!!!

I was introduced to bourbon by a friend of mine a year or so ago. Since then, I've dabbled for a bit here and there. I enjoy an old fashioned, though beer tends to be my regular beverage of choice. Either way, I came across bacon infused bourbon and figured I'd give it a try with a small amount. I have some bacon grease and bourbon mixed in a pint jar letting it rest.

Is this something that's fairly common? Seemed kinda strange to me and I certainly wasn't going to try it with a new bottle.
I saw it in the book "Project Smoke". I lean towards scotches and rye whiskeys vs bourbon, but it's something I'd give a try.

I was surprised it uses the fat - thought that it would be the opposite and one would have to get most of the fat out and just infuse it with a fairly well cooked couple of slices.

I saw it in the book "Project Smoke". I lean towards scotches and rye whiskeys vs bourbon, but it's something I'd give a try.

I was surprised it uses the fat - thought that it would be the opposite and one would have to get most of the fat out and just infuse it with a fairly well cooked couple of slices.

Thanks for bumping this. It reminded me that I needed to report back.

The small bit I made amounted to about 4 shots. Save for a sip here and there to try it 'as is', all of this batch has been consumed as an Old Fashioned. After adding the strained bacon grease, it sat in the fridge for a few days. I also put it in the freezer to help separate the fat from the bourbon before final processing. After an hour or so, I picked out the course bits of fat that formed at the top, then I ran it through a coffee filter and into a clean jar. It wasn't nearly as clear and amber as it was to begin with. It retained a bit of cloudiness, though nothing terrible.

As for the taste, my initial impression is that you can't really taste bacon. That said, it does have a different flavor and it also seemed to be smoother.

I have read about pairing bourbon with fatty cheese to help reduce the ethanol burn present in it, though I've never tried it. Theory is that once you reduce the ethanol burn, you get to experience the rest of the flavors. I'm not sure I buy into this since the fatty oils that help reduce the burn would likely also reduce your ability to taste different flavors. I dunno.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't turn down a bacon infused bourbon, BUT I won't be making it again since I don't feel it's worth the extra effort.

Smoked with Rosemary? That's what we use out here, I've tried oak and a few other woods and always go back to the rosemary. We have a huge rosemary bush right out our back door, so it's always on hand.
I just use a small mesh colander that fits the top of our glasses and cover with an old tea saucer, light the rosemary and cover for a few seconds, it's good stuff. I throw the zest of one orange into a bottle of Bourbon and use a splash of that as well.

Good 💩!!!

Well, I may have to try this one too...

Thanks for bumping this. It reminded me that I needed to report back.

The small bit I made amounted to about 4 shots. Save for a sip here and there to try it 'as is', all of this batch has been consumed as an Old Fashioned. After adding the strained bacon grease, it sat in the fridge for a few days. I also put it in the freezer to help separate the fat from the bourbon before final processing. After an hour or so, I picked out the course bits of fat that formed at the top, then I ran it through a coffee filter and into a clean jar. It wasn't nearly as clear and amber as it was to begin with. It retained a bit of cloudiness, though nothing terrible.

As for the taste, my initial impression is that you can't really taste bacon. That said, it does have a different flavor and it also seemed to be smoother.

I have read about pairing bourbon with fatty cheese to help reduce the ethanol burn present in it, though I've never tried it. Theory is that once you reduce the ethanol burn, you get to experience the rest of the flavors. I'm not sure I buy into this since the fatty oils that help reduce the burn would likely also reduce your ability to taste different flavors. I dunno.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't turn down a bacon infused bourbon, BUT I won't be making it again since I don't feel it's worth the extra effort.
I don't know about adding grease to bourbon, I would add a few pieces of fried bacon to a Ball jar and let it soak for a few days.
Next time I fry up some bacon, I will try it out, and let you know how it works out. I soak orange zest in bourbon, and also espresso bean, and vanilla bean, not in the same jars. Right now all I have is the orange zest going, I just leave it in the bourbon until I drink it up, then I dice up the rind and cover it with white sugar then put over vanilla ice cream topped with mascarpone or whipped cream, it tastes like a cannoli.
It's killer!!!

Last edited:
I've seen it both ways, bacon grease and cooked bacon. If I want something like this again, I think it would be much simper to just cook up some bacon and eat it while I sip my drink. Best of both worlds.

Sorry but I cannot stand bourbon, the smell or the taste. Reminds me of Turpentine.
I will stick to beer 🍻

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky