Poll do you foil your ribs & butts???

Discussion in 'Pork' started by rbranstner, Mar 10, 2010.

1. I foil both my ribs and my butts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I foil by ribs but not my butts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I foil my butts but not my ribs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't foil my ribs or my butts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smokingriley

smokingriley Smoke Blower

When I first started smoking ribs I did't foil. Now I have been using the 3-2-1 method for spares 2-2-1 for baby backs. So foil for 2 hours. I don't foil the butts.

2. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I foil m ribs, but not the butt. I like the juices on the ribs, but oh so love the bark on the butt. But that is just me and how I do it now, all subject to change.

Warren

3. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ditto!!!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

4. warthog

warthog Smoking Fanatic

I have become addicted to foiling.

5. eaglewing

eaglewing Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I'm the SAME as 'Fire it up' but I voted foil both...

I just can't imagine not foiling and toweling a BUTT because of the resulting benefits it has.

6. eaglewing

eaglewing Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

That's what I would suggest, pull at 195, foil and towel in a cooler for an hr.

I'll bet they're not mushy [​IMG]

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I foil both but I cut down the foiling time on my ribs.

8. graybeard

graybeard Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I think it really depends on the type of smoker your using and the fuel you choose.

beard

9. athabaskar

athabaskar Smoking Fanatic

I mostly don't, but have, and probably will again. I like to mix things up sometimes.

10. wmarkw

wmarkw Smoking Fanatic

I'm a non foiler on ribs and I love it. I tried the 3-2-1 a few years ago and results were good. Just got lazy when it was time to foil and said screw it. The texture of the rib is much better I think.

As for the butts it's not that I prefer to foil but it seems like all my cooks start late morning and by late afternoon/early evening I want to clean up everything before dark so I will then foil the butt and transfer to the oven to finish it off. But it is on my to do list to take a butt start to finish w/ no foil.

11. jd08

jd08 Fire Starter

So how long do you cook ribs without foiling?

I use the 3-1-1 and so far have loved the results.

12. dirt guy

dirt guy Smoking Fanatic

I don't foil the ribs until they are ready to come off and "rest". They either go into a warming box on the smoker, or into an ice chest. If it's a big feed, we will pan and cover rather than wrap individual racks. Those are the ones that generally go into the warming box of the smoker.

13. I foil my families ribs as they prefer fall off the bone and not foil my rack because I prefer the pull.

Extreme noobie who has not smoked a butt yet.

14. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I foil both. Havn't tried non foiled ribs yet but I plan to soon just to see the difference.

15. chisoxjim

chisoxjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

all depends.

in my WSM BB's typically take about 4-4.5 hours, spares about an hour more.

16. Always foil my ribs. I'll have to try foiling my butts next time.

17. lu1847

lu1847 Smoking Fanatic

I foil my butts after they are pulled from the smoker and then wrap them in a towel and place em in a cooler. I like my ribs 3-2-1 2-2-1 method.

18. captsly

captsly StickBurners

What he said, pull the butt at about 195 wrap it and into the cooler!!

19. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I have only done two brisket's, one butt & 4 racks of baby backs. So far, I have foiled everything & it was the best meat I have ever put heat to. I am scared to try it any other way. This weekend will be two spares & another butt.
    Plus, it gives me a chance to play with the shiny stuff. [​IMG]

20. gruelurks

gruelurks Smoking Fanatic

I've been foiling them in the past, but tonight I did a 6 hour smoke with no foil, while misting them with apple juice, cider vinegar, and olive oil mixed together every hour or so. I think they came out pretty good, but they won't get eaten until tomorrow afternoon. :-(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]