Masterbuilt, Gravity 800 series

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

learnintosmoke

Original poster
Aug 31, 2023
So I want to give a personal experience review of my Masterbuilt gravity 800. I’ve seen a lot of up-and-down reviews of this smoker, and I have to say I’m kind of confused at peoples results. I’ve had mine for about a year and a half. And I use it frequently. I will say that what made me choose it was I needed a bigger smoker and the price I got it for was absolutely amazing, I had a small, electric master built chest style smoker, which I hated because of temperature inconsistency.
So end of season for grills and outdoor stuff. Walmart had all of the smokers and grills on clearance. On the website, not so much. But in store they were marked down amazingly. Now most of you know they are like $800 smokers. They had it on clearance for $220. The only one they had left, however, was a floor model, and it was missing the griddle. It had everything else. And it was already assembled. (Huge plus in my book.) I talked to the associate and with it being a Floor model and missing the griddle. I ended up getting it for $78 after tax. I’m not kidding. It was the best deal I think I’ve ever gotten on anything.
So now about the smoker itself. It did take a little bit of getting used to simply because I’ve really only ever grilled on charcoal and propane. Mostly propane. I watched several YouTube videos on how to appropriately use it and best practices. One thing I noticed is that you lose a lot of smoke out of the gravity chimney where you put the charcoal. On one of the videos I watched there was a guy that put a small metal plate over the opening before putting the lid down over it. Fixed it no problem. I don’t have the metal plate so I used six layers of aluminum foil. I have no smoke leak anymore at all. (I have never replaced the aluminum foil.) Next I noticed that I got a lot of smoke, exiting the cooking area around the sides. You should lose some smoke out the back, but not all the way around. Kind of defeats, the purpose of trying to smoke meat. I found a roll of felt stripping with adhesive on the back that is meant for high temperature use on grills. So I put it down both sides and around the front. That solved that problem and have had no issues with it melting or anything of that nature. So now that the wasted smoke is all taken care of I can say that I have had no issues cooking on it. It keeps a very even temperature and I have never had a flareup. When smoking, I use the tent, heat distribution plate instead of the wide-open one. I think that it separates the heat better and there’s no direct heat coming out for flareups. I have smoked whole chickens, sausage, baby, back ribs, spare ribs, and brisket. Everything comes out juicy and wonderful. (still working on the brisket.) If you have to add additional charcoal to the chimney then the only thing I would tell you is make sure the bottom door is closed as well as the grill area. Open it add your charcoal and close it. Don’t waste time. Occasionally you’re gonna want to put more wood in the ash collection bin. Once again, keep everything closed and open it put your wooden and close it quickly. Don’t waste a bunch of time. Your temperature will stay even. I have cooked hamburgers and steaks on it at high temperature. Roughly 500° to 700°. I really haven’t had any issues there either. I do have a propane/charcoal grill that I use. It has two lids. One side is propane and one side is charcoal. I typically do use that on my quick cooks just simply because it’s easier. Now regardless of the price that I paid for it, I love this smoker. Did I get a “smokin” deal? Yes I did. But that doesn’t influence how well it works. And I have no issues with the contact button things either.
Remember, this is just my experience. Everybody has their own experience and opinion. This is simply mine.

Love my 800 and got on clearance but not as low as you. I only smoke on it as I also have a gasser and a griddle.

Not sure where you are located, but if anywhere near lower NY, you can have all the griddle, manifold parts they are yours. i will never use them.

Love my 800 and got on clearance but not as low as you. I only smoke on it as I also have a gasser and a griddle.

Not sure where you are located, but if anywhere near lower NY, you can have all the griddle, manifold parts they are yours. i will never use them.
What is a fantastic offer, however I live in Southern Nevada. But I really appreciate the offer.

Reactions: clifish
I've had a 560 for 3 years and while it produces great tasting BBQ it is on its last legs. The interior is disintegrating. I regret using it as a grill as it just isn't meant for high heat IMO. It's pretty thin metal. My controller has also become non-responsive so I'm forced to use the app. I'd gladly pay more for a better quality version. With that said, I'd buy another in heartbeat on clearance but never full price again.

I've had a 560 for 3 years and while it produces great tasting BBQ it is on its last legs. The interior is disintegrating. I regret using it as a grill as it just isn't meant for high heat IMO. It's pretty thin metal. My controller has also become non-responsive so I'm forced to use the app. I'd gladly pay more for a better quality version. With that said, I'd buy another in heartbeat on clearance but never full price again.

That was where I was at with my 560. I would not buy another unless I could get it for the $250 I paid for it.

I looked for a great price on a 1050. They showed occasionally for $500, like on Black Friday at Amazon. But I ran out of patience ended up spending a LOT more money than I wanted to spend on a GF, and got an Assassin 17.

It was very frustrating that there was nothing in between a high priced quality built GF and the MB series. With the exception of the Old Country Gravity Feed, which IMO, has some flaws in design along with Old Country's quality control issues.

That was where I was at with my 560. I would not buy another unless I could get it for the $250 I paid for it.

I looked for a great price on a 1050. They showed occasionally for $500, like on Black Friday at Amazon. But I ran out of patience ended up spending a LOT more money than I wanted to spend on a GF, and got an Assassin 17.

It was very frustrating that there was nothing in between a high priced quality built GF and the MB series. With the exception of the Old Country Gravity Feed, which IMO, has some flaws in design along with Old Country's quality control issues.
I got my MB800 for under $300, seems to be holding up OK with the limited use it gets...smoking only. When it kicks the bucket, I will see what is around, maybe go Rectec or Smokefire but hopefully still several years away.

Reactions: jcam222

What flaws and quality issues are you referring to? I was looking at this smoker to buy just wasn’t sure

Old country

I've posted here about my ideas on the OCGF and a problem that some owners have had, and that's low air flow through the cooker. It takes a long time to get up to temp. And if you open the cook chamber door for any length of time, it has a long temp recovery time.

And even though some see that as a problem and its something I dont want, there's many people on the Old Country Facebook group who are completely happy with their OCGF.

I think OC has restricted the flow of air through the cooker by placing that baffle over the port from the firebox to the cook chamber. First thing it does wrong is force air down and hot air doesn't like to go down.

Then there's two 90* turns before it enters the cook chamber. Air flow likes curves, like exhaust headers on an engine or A/C ducts.

Some say putting an ATC with a blower on it solves the problem.

I want more air flow in my cookers. But that's just me. I want convection. Others have no problem with very low air flow.

And then there's fit and finish problems when ya buy one. A common problem is the fit of the cook chamber door. There will be a large gap in the upper left corner. If ya buy one, its like all Old Country cookers, ya need to inspect it in person before ya buy. I would not get one shipped to me and trust the luck of the draw.

And to my knowledge no one has found a fix for the crooked door with a huge air gap. An air gap like that can be acceptable on a conventional offset with good air flow, but on these cookers, it needs to be air tight.

That said, my Assassin 17 not only has a slam latch, but it has clamps on the top and bottom of the cook chamber door. I don't know if anyone has tried that on the OCGF.

Reactions: Tank601
The MB 1050 looks more appealing as time goes on. I’m just cooking for a few people and the others like stumps and Assassin are a lot of money. That griddle and rotisserie just make the MB attractive

Well, as I said above, last year on Black Friday there were MB1050's on Amazon for $500. I would start checking every day a week before and after. A 1050 at that price is a good cooker.

Might even watch this " Big Deal " days coming up this week for Prime members.

Reactions: Tank601
The big question is do I want to drop 1k on a big box smoker when I can get a used custom for 3k? Seems like a big difference but prob would last the rest of my life too

This is about the time of year I walked into a PA Walmart and got my MB800 for $297, came with the griddle and never used that part, probably going to toss it. I do like the 800 I did ribs yesterday while I closed the pool and had beers with a neighbor...temp was consistent the whole 5 hours

This is about the time of year I walked into a PA Walmart and got my MB800 for $297, came with the griddle and never used that part, probably going to toss it. I do like the 800 I did ribs yesterday while I closed the pool and had beers with a neighbor...temp was consistent the whole 5 hour

Im guessing you have a black stone

This is about the time of year I walked into a PA Walmart and got my MB800 for $297, came with the griddle and never used that part, probably going to toss it. I do like the 800 I did ribs yesterday while I closed the pool and had beers with a neighbor...temp was consistent the whole 5 hours
If you don’t mind, me asking, are you near Southern Nevada? I would gladly take the griddle off your hands.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky