Pickled Mussels from the BIL BBQ we had.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Pickled Mussels from the BIL BBQ we had.

I just posted the meal we did up for the BIL. So there was 15 pounds of Mussels that I boiled up for the meal by the lake.
When the savages finished eating there was still some mussels left over , so Mona shelled them right away and into the fridge.
Next day I made up a nice brine of vinegar ,1/4 small diced onion and 1/4 cup water, 1/4 tes of mustard seeds and brown sugar. Boiled for 1 minute , let cool and than filled up 2 big and 1 small pickle bottles . Than off to the fridge.

They will not last long at all., But none for me , not my thing . I just like cooking them.

David

DSC_7970 - Copy.JPG DSC_7989.JPG

DSC_7990.JPG DSC_7991.JPG

DSC_7992.JPG

Last edited:
I could eat my weight in mussels, and have tried to do so in several countries. Pickled I have never seen. Interesting....

Thanks for the like and the comment

Mona and her family just love steamed mussels, but if ever there are any left over ( not often ) I pickle them for her / them.
This is just what i make for them, you can add lots of other spice or flavouring.

They seem to like it that way but fresh steamed dipped in butter is the best they say. Me not so much, lol

David

Holy crap, those look killer!!! Nice work, hook'in up the family.

Have you ever brined and smoked them for your family? They turn out amazing!!! So do clams and oysters.

Before Our California dictator and his Fish & Game cronies decided to shut down our Abalone diving. We would make a few dives to get our Ab's then swim to shore and scrape a 5 gallon bucket of jumbo Mussels. Seafood is my thing, as long as it's fresh. And it doesn't get any fresher than picking them off the rocks yourself. Then steaming them in seawater with a few bulbs of garlic, a bunch of fresh Tarragon, a few lemons half'd and a bottle of cheap white wine. Make up a few lbs of linguine with a lemon, parsley, garlic butter sauce. A few loaves of fresh sourdough bread, and butter, and freshly pounded, breaded and pan fried Abalone, and you have a meal that I would request and my last supper.

Heck, it would almost be worth going on a kill'in spree.:emoji_laughing:

David, you win buddy. This one REALLY got my attention. I love those things and could eat my weight in mussels, especially the way you've done them.
They will not last long at all., But none for me , not my thing

They look good. But, mussels just aren't my thing.
Whew...what a relief. Now y'all just get back, stay out of my way, and I'll happily eat your share of them :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I'm with Jim... never had them before but would give them a try definitely! Can't hardly be worse than rocky mountain oysters... and I eat them!

Ryan

Holy crap, those look killer!!! Nice work, hook'in up the family.

Have you ever brined and smoked them for your family? They turn out amazing!!! So do clams and oysters.

Before Our California dictator and his Fish & Game cronies decided to shut down our Abalone diving. We would make a few dives to get our Ab's then swim to shore and scrape a 5 gallon bucket of jumbo Mussels. Seafood is my thing, as long as it's fresh. And it doesn't get any fresher than picking them off the rocks yourself. Then steaming them in seawater with a few bulbs of garlic, a bunch of fresh Tarragon, a few lemons half'd and a bottle of cheap white wine. Make up a few lbs of linguine with a lemon, parsley, garlic butter sauce. A few loaves of fresh sourdough bread, and butter, and freshly pounded, breaded and pan fried Abalone, and you have a meal that I would request and my last supper.

Heck, it would almost be worth going on a kill'in spree.:emoji_laughing:

Thanks Dan for the love and the comment

I have never smoked them after brining them. I don't eat them and Mona not real crazy about some smoked things, and she loves her shell fish mostly steamed and buttered, i mostly just pickle them for them if any ever left over, so they don't get wasted.

That is very cool to dive and get them yourself and cook right there. And yours sounds great. When we happen to be out around the islands ( most of the salt water we like to boat in is very rocky and lots of coves and small islands ) I used to get a Scallop license approx. $12. per year.
I would dive , no tanks, only 10 -15 feet deep and get Mona a bunch every other weekend and than find a couple lobster and a bucket of Mussels. And boil / steam over a fire on shore in one of the coves , as you are not allowed to take the lobster. So everyone would have a big seafood steamed meal, and I would have Hotdogs on a stick over the fire . Does not sound fare but I love hotdogs, :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses: 🤠 so I am good with that.

Life is good when you have a day like you described and our days out in the saltwater, :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

David

David, you win buddy. This one REALLY got my attention. I love those things and could eat my weight in mussels, especially the way you've done them.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Yes I really wish I likes them as it looks like fun the way the savages go at a big pot of them when put on the table.

You can have my share but might have to fight Mona for it , lol
She is tiny , BUT I am scared of her , she has some guns on her.
Notice no one is near her while she eats, lol

DSC_7982 - Copy.JPG

Yes the pickle brine is a quick and simple fridge safe mix.

David

David

I've never tried mussels.....But I'd give 'em a swing the way you have them done up!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

They say they love them steamed the best and this is a good way to save the leftover when that happens.

I can;t get past the texture. I guess if I was stranded on an island for a couple days I
would try if I could start a fire and maybe cook them on a stick:emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
I'm with Jim... never had them before but would give them a try definitely! Can't hardly be worse than rocky mountain oysters... and I eat them!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the comment

I tried but could not get past the texture, 🤮🤮 lol

Now these Rocky Mountian Oysters , are they what I think you are talking about ( same as Prairie Oysters up here )
I can say I have never had , and don't think I could get my mind past what they are and where they came from,
with all the other good cuts of meat on an animal :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:🤠

1691408033812.png

David

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky