Pickled Radish and Carrots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
As I have posted before I love Korean food. One of my favorites is pickled radish. I came across a recipe I liked for pickled radish and carrots. They were very fine cuts which isn't what I wanted so I went with thicker cuts. I was able to get a large Diakon radish today and wasn't sure if I wanted to add carrots or not but decided to in the end.

This is a fast one day pickle from the recipe, maybe a little longer with my thick cuts.

1 large Diakon radish
3 carrots

Brine:
1 cup water
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of salt

Heat the brine in a pot until the salt and sugar dissolve. Let it cool to room temp. cut up the veg and add it all into a pickling jar. Sit at room temp for 4-5 hours then refrigerate.

2023_pickled_radish_001.jpg

Did you peel the radish so it would not turn the brine pink.
And is a Diakon radish hotter than a regular one.

David
Diakons, are white and about the size of your forearm. They are very mild compared to red radishes.

I love them pickled, my brine is very similar 90s brine, although I generally just wing the measurements and tweak things to taste.

Nice work 90, I bet it is great on a pork sandwich., I love Korean sandwiches as well.
Dan.

forktender forktender pretty much nailed it. Diakons are nothing like the typical American small round red ones. When pickled they have a sweet sharp but hard taste something similar but at the same time different than an Asian pear.

Yes I did skin it and wasted much of it to get as perfect of slices as I could from it. It was huge ( 1.5" round by about 14" long) so I had no problem using only the best cuts for it.

I tossed the waste into my compost. The same with the carrot waste.

This should be great for my next round of KFC Korean Fried Chicken.

Here is an update. They taste very good. Kind of a weird taste on their own but they should go really well with Korean Fried Chicken. I will cook up a bunch of it for my wife's birthday later this month. We will have a bunch of people over for her 50th and she asked me to make Korean Fried Chicken. This bottle will be gone that day I'm sure.

2023_pickled_radish_002.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky