BIL, Supper for his family split wings, double smoked jalapeno and cheese sausage , Fresh mussels and corn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
BIL, Supper for his family split wings, double smoked jalapeno and cheese sausage , Fresh mussels and corn

BIL and Mona's sister moved in with us little over a month ago. We have a in-law kind of piece built on. His 2 kids ( adults ) and 1 grandchild came to see him for a week or so.
He wanted to do up a nice big open fire meal for them before they went back home out west ( Calgary ) So they do not get to see each other very often. Has not seen his son for 5 years. So this is a very happy and sad time for Gary (BIL)

He had all good intentions on doing this for them on out open fire pit by the lake.
Well he was not feeling well and the wind did not help for the fire . So I said I have you covered , you spend the day with you family.

They picked up some split wings , and 15 pounds of fresh mussels and 2 dozen corn.

I washed and than soaked the wings in pickle juice for 3 hours, than into the smoker with hickory , also I sliced up a big pack of Jalapeno and Cheese sausages with a large onion and they were in there also.

DSC_7951.JPG

DSC_7952.JPG DSC_7954.JPG DSC_7956.JPG

In the smoker for 2 1/2 hours at 275 deg. - 300 deg. with Hickory, Wings browned up very nice. and the sausages letting off some great juice and flavours . Stirred them and added a hand of Brown sugar on top , than stirred in after a half hour. Yes I had to sample them every time I opened the smoker . lol

So have the corn on to boil and the mussels ready as they only take about 15 /20 minutes

So removed the wings and sausages from the smoker and onto the grill while the corn and mussels are just about finished. Getting some crisp on the wings with a little BBQ sauce and keeping the sausages close at hand as I like to snack while grilling.

DSC_7962.JPG

DSC_7964.JPG DSC_7970 - Copy.JPG

Already and running it all down to the lake were everyone was sitting around setting the table for Gary and Family. All the fixins and fancy dishes.

DSC_7966.JPG

DSC_7967.JPG

Sorry the table hots were a little erratic, and messy looking . As I was just delivering and it was like a bunch of wild dogs while trying to get in and place the food down, no manners I say no manners , LOL

It was all good and everyone was happy and some would not even sit to eat just hover by the food and grab.

DSC_7969.JPG

DSC_7968.JPG

DSC_7972.JPG

DSC_7974.JPG

DSC_7976.JPG

It turned out very nice for them to have this time with their father and Granddad, and his sister showed up who lives in town.
Everyone enjoyed the meal , and BIL was very thankful for the helping hand.

I was even allowed to sit and have some scraps when my shift was done.

DSC_7977.JPG

Than let them clean up the table while I contemplated going for a swim. ( had to put on a dew rag as my solar panel was starting to burn in the sunny cloudy day )

DSC_7983.JPG

There was a couple mussels left over so I pickled them up for BIL and Mona kept a bottle also. I will post that in the seafood area.

All had a good day and full belly's. And the weather held off but too windy for BIL
to do what he wanted on the open fire , But he was very thankful for the helping hand .
He was very tired by the end of the day,

Thanks for making it to the end.

David

Jeez David, what an incredible feast!! So fantastic of you to do that for family. You went to great lengths to put together an unforgettable experience...not just a meal but a true family experience. BTW, I'm up for adoption if you need one more person to cook for :emoji_laughing:

That last pic says it all though. Seriously, that sums up the entire day without having to speak or write a word. In a word: "Priceless".

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great looking spread for the family. I'm sure it was well appreciated. And you got a great looking place on the lake there.

Jim

Fantastic David! I'd hit everything except the mussels. Just never had the taste for them. But, if that was a bucket of little necks? Get out of my way!!

Jeez David, what an incredible feast!! So fantastic of you to do that for family. You went to great lengths to put together an unforgettable experience...not just a meal but a true family experience. BTW, I'm up for adoption if you need one more person to cook for :emoji_laughing:

That last pic says it all though. Seriously, that sums up the entire day without having to speak or write a word. In a word: "Priceless".

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

" Robert tx smoker tx smoker just pinning you, so you read and understand why we did this and will keep doing. "

It was a good meal and BIL's kids and sister had a good time and meal. As for adoption, always room for 1 more , somewhere . But I have thought the same thing from you when I see your posts of food , and you got the pool also, lol
I guess we can stay long lost brothers from different mothers

Yes I have no problem to help out anyone that deserves the help. And it is the least Mona and I can do for Gary. He is a very good man to Mona's sister.

Not to get all sad and depressing on here, So our house of just us 2 and our 2 old puppy's has grown to 5 and 2 puppy's

But in the last 2 months we moved in Mona's mum ( 87 ) and still going strong. Just time for her to relax in her life. She was going to take over our piece we built on for Mona's sister just after we moved in ( 2013 ), so she could be close to family. She later moved out when she meet BIL.
But things changed in the last 2 months , moved Mum into our master bedroom after offering her the addition, than saying sorry . Her daughter and husband have to move in to it now. He is very sick and not going to be here soon. Just found out in November he has lung cancer from asbestos. They did not tell anyone until this spring. That is when we said they had to move into our place , closer to all the doctors appointments and just everything, they lived an hour in the back country from any kind of towns ( They spent 6 months there and 6 months in Mona's sister's place in Florida. ) That will never happen for him anymore.

So this meal was for his kids ( adults ) and grand daughter who came to see him as he is going down pretty quick. He is 59 ,and really looks like he is 90. We are just trying to keep him comfortable, but can tell and I understand he is very tired now and can not do very much. Just walking to his truck ( which I think he should stop driving ) is a chore.

David

Reactions: gmc2003
Great looking spread for the family. I'm sure it was well appreciated. And you got a great looking place on the lake there.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

It was a great spread and all were happy and full, I even found some scraps to put on my plate, lol

Thanks Jim , I / we just love it here and really just sit back and say we are very grateful that we found it and made it our own. The picture of me taking a breather is were I sneak off to just to watch the lake, or down on the dock and fish, yesterday morning though I would throw the fishing line out and try my luck , well caul a 12" bass and a couple smaller ones . Than a big heavy one hit , got him in and it was almost 14", have pulled out some at 18" but not this year yet.
Here is the 14" one

14 inch small mouth.JPG

David

Fantastic David! I'd hit everything except the mussels. Just never had the taste for them. But, if that was a bucket of little necks? Get out of my way!!

Thanks Steve for the like and the comment

It was a good time for BIL and his kin . I'm with you . No mussels for me , but I did get some corn and wings and extra sausages, lol

:emoji_sunglasses: Bucket of long necks ?? not sure what you mean , would that be clams ? or Quahog pronounced "Cohogs"

David

Terrific meal David. It takes a special kind of person to open up their home and alter their lives to help those in times of need. A wonderful family memory was born on that date. One that will be looked back on with a smile for a long time.

Point(s) for sure
Chris

Terrific meal David. It takes a special kind of person to open up their home and alter their lives to help those in times of need. A wonderful family memory was born on that date. One that will be looked back on with a smile for a long time.

Point(s) for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Yes you are right, even though it is sad for them to see their dad like this , they all had a good day.
And like you said can look back at a great time spent together.

You and I have talked about this before , That is what family does, or at least most.
How could you not

Thank You Chris

David

Reactions: gmc2003
Wow, awesome looking meal. BIL is lucky to have you in the family. :emoji_sunglasses:

JC :emoji_cat:

Thanks JC for the like and the comment

It was a fun cook, smoke. And all were happy , I even had a plate of the scraps, lol

I am very glad BIL came into our family a few years ago because he was a good fix for Mona's sister. They are very good together.
That is why this was a happy and sad kind of day to see him with his family.

David

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks JC for the like and the comment

It was a fun cook, smoke. And all were happy , I even had a plate of the scraps, lol

I am very glad BIL came into our family a few years ago because he was a good fix for Mona's sister. They are very good together.
That is why this was a happy and sad kind of day to see him with his family.

David
That is wonderful news. So glad you all enjoyed the day.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky