New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's incredible why am I not having the same problem? I just smoked a cupel racks of St Louis ribs using my blue tooth and it worked fine the whole time?????
I would guess that you smoked them one slab on each shelf, whereas I smoked 4 slabs on ONE shelf in a rib rack. Thus maybe chocking up the air flow???? 

Last edited:

I would guess that you smoked them one slab on each shelf, whereas I smoked 4 slabs on ONE shelf in a rib rack. Thus maybe chocking up the air flow???? 
Aren't they standing on edge with space between the racks & around the perimeter?

That would allow air flow.

Bear

Bear, they stand on edge, but flop over somewhat into each other at the top of the rib racks, so there isn't as much space between them as you would think. even though I have a tent over smoker to keep grease drippings off of it, I still have my worse problems when smoking ribs. The less meat in Smoker, the better it smokes although not a lot of smoke then. After thinking about it more, thus my theory since my posting a topic on this. 

In fact the last time I smoked ribs, during the Smoking of them I pulled the chip loader out to add a few pellets to it since I wasn't getting enough smoke and it went "puff" with a bit of back draft when I did that, even though the hole in bottom pan was open and not covered by foil.

I have some experiments ( 2-3-maybe 4) that I am going to run as soon as I get time  to see if my theory is right. Also, I will be smoking 3 small tri-tips Wed of next week (2-17) and will use Tube as Todd suggested to me in an Email, to see if the pellets will stay lit better.

Once I have done that as well as completed my experiments, I will report my finding here in this Smoking Forum.

Bear, they stand on edge, but flop over somewhat into each other at the top of the rib racks, so there isn't as much space between them as you would think. even though I have a tent over smoker to keep grease drippings off of it, I still have my worse problems when smoking ribs. The less meat in Smoker, the better it smokes although not a lot of smoke then. After thinking about it more, thus my theory since my posting a topic on this. 

In fact the last time I smoked ribs, during the Smoking of them I pulled the chip loader out to add a few pellets to it since I wasn't getting enough smoke and it went "puff" with a bit of back draft when I did that, even though the hole in bottom pan was open and not covered by foil.

I have some experiments ( 2-3-maybe 4) that I am going to run as soon as I get time  to see if my theory is right. Also, I will be smoking 3 small tri-tips Wed of next week (2-17) and will use Tube as Todd suggested to me in an Email, to see if the pellets will stay lit better.

Once I have done that as well as completed my experiments, I will report my finding here in this Smoking Forum.
That all makes sense-----Might be one of the reasons I have such good success with my AMNPS----I very rarely have a full smoker---Usually only one or two racks.

I get too much smoke from the Tube, so you should get what you need from it.

Bear

If you were using a rib rack I wouldn't think air flow would be an issue. Sometimes I think they even smoke better in the rack the only reason I don't use the rack is because I have been doing the 3-2-1 and it's a hassle geting them in and out of the rack.

If you were using a rib rack I wouldn't think air flow would be an issue. Sometimes I think they even smoke better in the rack the only reason I don't use the rack is because I have been doing the 3-2-1 and it's a hassle geting them in and out of the rack.
Not enough space between the slabs of ribs for good air flow plus if you would have read what I said in post # 1124 above, it said that the tops of slabs lean into each other, thus that limits the air flow between them. If they had an inch or two all the way up between them, then yes there would be good air flow, but unfortunately they don't have that space.

I use a 3 x 1 1/2 and ... 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 and ...  a 3 1/4 x 1 3/4 ...  method, depending on the size and thickness of the slabs, so I don't need to put them back in the rack. Just smoke them until time to foil and then lay the foiled slabs on 2 shelves until the time is up. Then take out of Smoker and let sit 15-20 minutes, open foiled ribs and slice.

Last edited:
I use a 3 x 1 1/2 and ... 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 and ...  a 3 1/4 x 1 3/4 ...  method, depending on the size and thickness of the slabs, so I don't need to put them back in the rack. Just smoke them until time to foil and then lay the foiled slabs on 2 shelves until the time is up. Then take out of Smoker and let sit 15-20 minutes, open foiled ribs and slice.
huh?

I am confused by the I use a 3 x 1 1/2 and ... 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 and ...  a 3 1/4 x 1 3/4 ...  method,

Is this like the 3-2-1..... 3 hours smoke, 2 hours foil,1 hour no foil

I am confused by the I use a 3 x 1 1/2 and ... 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 and ...  a 3 1/4 x 1 3/4 ...  method,

Is this like the 3-2-1..... 3 hours smoke, 2 hours foil,1 hour no foil
Yes, and those 3 are without a third step.

Bear

Last edited:
I got my amnps for my mes 40 2.5. Going to do my first brisket tomorrow. I rubbed with mustard and spice rub tonight. This is only a smallish 6 pound flat but has good marbling and 1/4" cap. Any smoking advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on 225 till internal of 185-190 before pulling, wrapping, toweling and putting in cooler. Does my amnps setup look OK? I am using a disposable "wok tray" sold by char-broil at wal-mart for $3 for raising it.

I got my amnps for my mes 40 2.5. Going to do my first brisket tomorrow. I rubbed with mustard and spice rub tonight. This is only a smallish 6 pound flat but has good marbling and 1/4" cap. Any smoking advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on 225 till internal of 185-190 before pulling, wrapping, toweling and putting in cooler. Does my amnps setup look OK? I am using a disposable "wok tray" sold by char-broil at wal-mart for $3 for raising it.

I don't think you will get enough airflow with the AMNPS with it inside the smoker and the door closed. That's why we do the mailbox mod.

Actually with the MES 40 BT the mailbox mod is not needed, nor is elevating the AMPS or even pulling out the chip loader. All of those were done to get the AMPS to work the the gen 2 models and since they worked people just did them with the new 2.5 BT models as well. I even started out by raising the AMPS and pulling out the chip loader and did it my first few smokes. Then thought I'd see how it did without doing anything other than putting the amps on the bottom and closed the chip loader. There was no difference and the AMPS performed flawlessly. So that's what I've done ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokin papallo
Actually with the MES 40 BT the mailbox mod is not needed, nor is elevating the AMPS or even pulling out the chip loader. All of those were done to get the AMPS to work the the gen 2 models and since they worked people just did them with the new 2.5 BT models as well. I even started out by raising the AMPS and pulling out the chip loader and did it my first few smokes. Then thought I'd see how it did without doing anything other than putting the amps on the bottom and closed the chip loader. There was no difference and the AMPS performed flawlessly. So that's what I've done ever since.
ok. Lol. I stand corrected.

That's great to hear! Thank you..

Well I talked to them and they had to discuss what might be going on and they called me back 2 days later and said that they are having issues with app for Droid, and that it will take up to 30 to 60 days till they get it fixed, so in the mean time they are sending me a new controller with a remote to operate it. Said that in a month or 2 if I decide I want to try app (once fixed) and bluetooth controller again to just swap it back in. I knew it was app cause I did a 10hr smoke with some ribs and worked fine manually operating
Thank you for your posts on this. I am having the same issues as you with temp spikes and odd 800+ degree readings from control panel when connected to bluetooth. I just spoke to customer service. It wasn't easy but I talked her into sending me the RF control panel and remote. She said she had never heard of doing that but she did research and found one that would match up with my particular type of smoker. She said it had to come from a unit made in the same factory as mine was.. You saved me a lot of back and forth with them and this will hopefully fix it until the app situation is corrected.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new smoker and this one is top on my list (once it goes on sale). I see a few of you have had it for awhile, any thoughts on it? Happy with the purchase? No problems with it dying on you? . I had a very similar Cuisinart model (looks to be exactly the same as the masterbuilt electric a couple models older than this) and it died on me a month after the warranty expired so I'm a little hesitant jumping on this.

Update

After overnight in fridge.

AMNPS doing its job..

after 2 hours

I could tell by the flood of comments on my original post that everybody was eagerly awaiting the finished results of my first brisket smoke.. Here you go.. This amazingly turned out as some of (if not the) best brisket I have ever had. Maybe beginners luck..

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky