New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I could tell by the flood of comments on my original post that everybody was eagerly awaiting the finished results of my first brisket smoke.. Here you go.. This amazingly turned out as some of (if not the) best brisket I have ever had. Maybe beginners luck..
Very Nice Brisket !!!
drool.gif
---------------
points.gif

Beautiful Job!!
icon14.gif

Bear

One more post asking about the longevity of the smoker :) are those who bought it last year happy with with it? No problems with it dying on them? This is what I'm looking at getting (30" 4 rack variant, as I suspect it will go on sale at home depot for less than the 6 rack variant at bass pro) but I'm gun shy after my other one died after fourteen months. It wasn't Masterbuilt branded, but my understanding is that it was a masterbuilt smoker under the Cuisinart brand.

One more post asking about the longevity of the smoker :) are those who bought it last year happy with with it? No problems with it dying on them? This is what I'm looking at getting (30" 4 rack variant, as I suspect it will go on sale at home depot for less than the 6 rack variant at bass pro) but I'm gun shy after my other one died after fourteen months. It wasn't Masterbuilt branded, but my understanding is that it was a masterbuilt smoker under the Cuisinart brand.
As far as getting one with a bad controller or something like that, I would say it's a hit & miss type chance, but if you get a bad one, they take good care of you.

The thing that went most on the older models was the connector to the heating element. There was a batch years ago that were going a lot earlier, but My MES 30 never went (6 years), and my Gen #1 MES 40 took 5 years to need replacing. Then it took a 50 cent connector & a few minutes to replace it.

Bear

Reactions: wayoung
Hmm, when my element went all I could find online was that they were shoddily manufactured (Cuisinart made them based on masterbuilt specs design, masterbuilt themselves didn't make them) and once the element stopped working they were done, nothing you can do due to how they were welded together. So I ended up tossing mine out - although I later found out the entire model was subject to a recall for a full refund (too late for me though since I had trashed mine already). The things were garbage. Hence my being wary of these smokers.

But there aren't really any other valid options, other than Bradley and I don't want to go that route.

Hmm, when my element went all I could find online was that they were shoddily manufactured (Cuisinart made them based on masterbuilt specs design, masterbuilt themselves didn't make them) and once the element stopped working they were done, nothing you can do due to how they were welded together. So I ended up tossing mine out - although I later found out the entire model was subject to a recall for a full refund (too late for me though since I had trashed mine already). The things were garbage. Hence my being wary of these smokers.

But there aren't really any other valid options, other than Bradley and I don't want to go that route.
I think Masterbuilt has come a long way in 6 years.

I bought my MES 30---No problem.

Then I bought my Son an MES 30 with a problem. I called and the Girl there was no help at all.

I hung up & called later---Got a different girl, and she knew less than the first one.

My Son took his back to Cabelas & got another one.

Then I bought my MES 40 Gen #1, and it only needed the connector after 5 years. Works Great yet.

Now I have an MES 40 BT, and I didn't use it much, but I like it even more than I like the Gen #1 that I put in my garage for emergencies.

Now these last few years, just about all I've heard is good things about their customer service, and they even help people out after the warranty  has already run out, just to keep their name on the positive.

If I needed one now, I wouldn't hesitate to get another MES BT.

Bear

Reactions: wayoung
Thanks Bear.
I'm not quite through the Thread yet so apologies if it's been asked but how does it do at cooler temperatures? Say, 5,10,15 C?

Last edited:
Thanks Bear.
I'm not quite through the Thread yet so apologies if it's been asked but how does it do at cooler temperatures? Say, 5,10,15 C?
That's about 40° F to 60° F.

About the only way to use temps like that would be to do it in the Winter, when the ambient temp is down in that area.

You can fill a plastic jug or 2 about 3/4 full & freeze them. Then put them inside to cool things down, but that will only do so much.

You would also need another smoke generator, like an "Amazing Smoker", because you wouldn't want to turn the Smoker on, since the lowest setting is 100° (Like Earl said above).

Bear

My bad, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean running it at those temps, I meant cooking when the outdoor temp was in that range. Does it still heat up/retain heat when the outdoor temp is low?

My bad, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean running it at those temps, I meant cooking when the outdoor temp was in that range. Does it still heat up/retain heat when the outdoor temp is low?
LOL---That's easier:

I've smoked when the outside temp was Below 10° F, and the only thing that didn't work to good was me.

It can take a little longer to get to the set temps, but MES units are insulated pretty good.

If you have it out in the open without any wind block around it, a 10 MPH or better wind can be a bigger problem than temps below Freezing.

Bear

I bought my 2.5 40" last summer and am pleased with it. I did have to replace the meat prob almost right away but have had no problems since. I would buy another one if the need comes up but I am covered with my WSM 231/2" and my MES 40"
Randy,

I am also a new owner of the MES 40 BT 2.5. I also have the AMPS. I was having problems getting the AMPS to work, and this was their response

Place the AMNPS 5x8 about 2” off the floor of your MES 40

Some guys wad up some foil and make a 2” riser

Pull the chip loader out 2” and rotate to the “Dump” position

Exhaust wide open

No water in the water pan

I am going to do my first brisket this weekend in the MES

Craig

I am also a new owner of the MES 40 BT 2.5. I also have the AMPS. I was having problems getting the AMPS to work, and this was their response

Place the AMNPS 5x8 about 2” off the floor of your MES 40

Some guys wad up some foil and make a 2” riser

Pull the chip loader out 2” and rotate to the “Dump” position

Exhaust wide open

No water in the water pan

I am going to do my first brisket this weekend in the MES

Craig
That usually works.

If it doesn't work, put the bottom rack in position. Then set your AMNPS on that rack, on the far left end, about an inch from the left wall (Away from the Heating element).

IMHO that bottom rack is too close to the heating element anyway to put meat on it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky