New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

A quick question on identifying the Masterbuilt 40 gen 2.5.  I was at my local Sam;s Club and saw this model:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/masterbuilt-smoker/prod15560335.ip?xid=hdr_locator_my-club_6322

It looks like the same one from amazon here:

But the Sam's Club model has legs and what looks like a cover over the LED, while the amazon one does not.  Also the amazon one is about $60 more.  Are they both gen 2.5?  Please help, I am a little confused.  Thanks.
That Sams Club is a Gen #2.5-------
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

The Amazon is a Gen #2------Don't buy that one!!-----
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

Bear

Thanks bear. I can't seem to find the newer gen 2.5 on masterbuilt's website, it appears they only have the older gen 2 unless I'm missing it. For my own sanity, is the main difference between the 2 and 2.5 the small shade cover over the lCD panel and legs?

Thanks bear. I can't seem to find the newer gen 2.5 on masterbuilt's website, it appears they only have the older gen 2 unless I'm missing it. For my own sanity, is the main difference between the 2 and 2.5 the small shade cover over the lCD panel and legs?
No---The Gen #2 has a stupid slanted drip plate with a little water pan, that traps heat on the right side.

It has other problems but that's the biggest one!

Here's more about them all:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/235820/masterbuilt-smokers-bear-s-thoughts-findings

Bear

who can post the manual from an MES 40 from Sams?

Can you add extra shelves? Is it all stainless inside? I don't have anything local under 2 hour drive!

Sams has best price BUT might be cheaper unit all around!

Can someone show me a picture of AMPS placement in the 30 inch BT MES?

Thanks
The picture below is of my old MES 30 with my AMNS in it.

The AMNPS is the same width, and fits at the same place in the MES 30 and the MES 40.

The best place I found for an MES 40 BT is on the bottom rack all the way on the left end (away from the heating element).

If I had an MES 30 BT, I would put it at that same place.

MES 30 Gen #1 with AMNS:

Last edited:
Hey yall it's even a bit since I've posted. Just an update from last post about my runaway smoker. I did changed out bt controller head with one controlled with remote, and I haven't had any problems with it since. I have yet to change it back to the blue tooth one. I would like to at some time but I have used multiple times since changing out and works perfect ever time. Thanks for any input that anyone has given me. Hoping to get some smoking tips from time to time since I am new to the smoking community. ThanksThanks!

Hey yall it's even a bit since I've posted. Just an update from last post about my runaway smoker. I did changed out bt controller head with one controlled with remote, and I haven't had any problems with it since. I have yet to change it back to the blue tooth one. I would like to at some time but I have used multiple times since changing out and works perfect ever time. Thanks for any input that anyone has given me. Hoping to get some smoking tips from time to time since I am new to the smoking community. ThanksThanks!
That's Great---Glad you're up & running now!!

If I were you, I would keep using the RF remote, and put that BT thing in a Drawer for emergency only!!

Here's a whole pile of Tips that might help you:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Thanks to your post I was able to talk to customer service and get RF controller to replace my BT. I tried the bluetooth one last time 2 days ago to see if it was working after any updates on the app and it was still doing the same thing. Randomly jacking the temperature up to 899. I swapped out to RF yesterday and smoked a butt. It worked great. Thanks again for CS tip.

Just bought a mes Bluetooth 3 days ago I love it. Used it 3 nights now, I had a pellet smoker and hated it since the day I bought it. The wood chip isn't no yoder offset but I like the ease of the mes it still comes out with great flavor with low fuel consumption

Meant to post this sooner. I love the new MES BT app. Allows me to config my smoker in 1F increments. Why didn't they do this sooner!!!!!!!!?????

Thank you Masterbuilt. Please continue to innovate.

Wait is this in the works?  Actually impossible with our current units.  Would need to be a new unit with network card.  But great idea. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky