New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a the Masterbuilt 30" with BT. I had to uninstall the application and reinstall it to get the bluetooth to work after Masterbuilt did an update to the app.  Android OS.

I experienced the same thing...had to uninstall the Masterbuilt Bluetooth on my iPad and reinstall it. Now I can report that they did improve the Bluetooth and it now can be monitored from inside my house. The prior Bluetooth operation had very limited range, and in-sight only, like 30-40 feet. Not only that, when I called Masterbuilt they promptly answered my call and politely walked me through the Bluetooth operation. Almost like a different company.

I purchased my 40 in 2.5 MES from Bass Pro in April, so those who recently purchased one may not even realize the improvement in the Bluetooth format.
Dennis

What would you say the range is now with the update? Been waiting to pull the trigger on the MB 30 or 40 but the disappointed comments with the BT range was holding me back.

What would you say the range is now with the update? Been waiting to pull the trigger on the MB 30 or 40 but the disappointed comments with the BT range was holding me back.

Actually it was not much of a distance improvement, maybe 10-15 feet. Once I wondered away from the window I lost connection. I think the range I experienced was about 35-40 ft.

I have the MES 30 2.5 and BT connection has been good. I get a good connection anywhere in my house, about 20-25 feet away from MES. I think the phone you are using also has has an impact on the range. I'm using an iPhone 6. The BT on my iPhone connects to our car when my wife is a half block away driving home.

I got this smoker for christmas. With an amps. Put the mailbox mod on it today. Smoked a brisket last week. It was great.

LOL----I'm sitting this one out for a change!!

I'm using the controls on my 2.5 for the time being.

If I ever use the Bluetooth remote, it'll be after you guys all get it nailed down for me.

Bear

I just learned something today from Verizon. The newer cell phones have 4G LTE technology, which they explained has a much stronger signal than when using WIFi connection. I have always used my iPad with the WIFI connection for the MES Bluetooth operation.

This may be why some are reporting good distance connection using their iPhone (or whatever cell phone with the 4G LTE technology). I'm not a tech guy, maybe 1 step above Bear, but this may help. Next time I smoke something I will try using my wife's iPhone.
Dennis

Wood not buy ,.infact just used 40 " Masterbuildt Blue tooth for the first time could not get a signal from 20 '. Thinking of taking smoker back , thats how diappointed i am.

LOL----I'm sitting this one out for a change!!

I'm using the controls on my 2.5 for the time being.

If I ever use the Bluetooth remote, it'll be after you guys all get it nailed down for me.

Bear
Ditto for me. My BT works just fine using the controls on it. In fact, if something needs adjusted, I need to be there anyhow to see why.

Bluetooth actually works independent of both wifi and cell signal so it's likely related to the bluetooth technology in each phone.

I wish the MES phone app could set an alert for the meat probe temperature. I smoked a pork butt the other day and it would have been nice to know when the internal temp reached 165 to wrap in foil and 205 when it was done, without have to watch the app all the time.

I wish the MES phone app could set an alert for the meat probe temperature. I smoked a pork butt the other day and it would have been nice to know when the internal temp reached 165 to wrap in foil and 205 when it was done, without have to watch the app all the time.
That's why most of us a nice remote thermometer. I love my maverick 733.

Yeah Bluetooth is a gimmick.  I would prefer them to bring down the cost of the smoker and remove the BT.  It has its place, but I could live without it.

I mostly used it for monitoring meat temp as a backup probe to my Mav, but now my MES probe is reading 10F higher than it should.  I tested it in boiling water when the smoker was off and it was maybe like 2F off, but when smoking, its reading like 10F off, so I dont use it anymore.

Also, when changing the temps, I have to walk up to the smoker to listen for the beep, to make sure my temp change has been transmitted.  If you are out of range, the app appears to be working, but your temp change wont be transmitted.  So you have to walk to the smoker anyway.

Seriously, remove BT, make the smoker cheaper or switch out the BT for a PID that works!

Last edited:

Yeah Bluetooth is a gimmick.  I would prefer them to bring down the cost of the smoker and remove the BT.  It has its place, but I could live without it. 
Yup---I prefer the regular remote we had on all the other models over the last 5-6 years. My old MES remotes had a lot fewer drops than any of my Mavericks. LOL---And it's the only one that never drops while sitting next to my recliner!!! (Steel door between my Smoker & my Recliner) 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

Yeah Bluetooth is a gimmick.  I would prefer them to bring down the cost of the smoker and remove the BT.  It has its place, but I could live without it

I mostly used it for monitoring meat temp as a backup probe to my Mav, but now my MES probe is reading 10F higher than it should.  I tested it in boiling water when the smoker was off and it was maybe like 2F off, but when smoking, its reading like 10F off, so I dont use it anymore.

Also, when changing the temps, I have to walk up to the smoker to listen for the beep, to make sure my temp change has been transmitted.  If you are out of range, the app appears to be working, but your temp change wont be transmitted.  So you have to walk to the smoker anyway.

Seriously, remove BT, make the smoker cheaper or switch out the BT for a PID that works!

They are saving money by making them Bluetooth vs supplying a remote.

Just downloaded the updated app and went outside to test it during today's smoke (BB ribs and scarbelly wings).

Used my phone (iPhone 6), iPad, wife's iPhone and my son't android tablet.  Damn thing wouldn't connect to anything!

Good advice?  Read the manual!  Completely forgot to hold down the set temp button in order to turn on the smoker's bluetooth!  An hour later, it's working.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky