New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

New here!  Never had a smoker, but really want to get started.

Here is my question after reading this very lengthy thread.  If price wasn't a deciding factor, would you go for the Bass Pro model with 6 racks, or the Sam's club model with 4 racks?  

By the way, the Bass Pro model is now a combo package that comes with a stand and cover, so it is sort of similar to the Sam's Club version now, except for the number of racks, well and the price, but I don't care about price.  I  guess my thinking is that I will never use all 6 racks, but I think the option of where I place the racks I am using would be a really nice option to have. My guess is the bottom rack slot is almost useless, so that leaves 5 positions or 3 positions. I also could see myself doing some large batches of cold smoked fish near the holidays, so more racks might be nice.  95% of the time, I assume I will only be using one or maybe two racks, but I just think the option of where they go would be nice.  Anyone modify their 4 rack version, or add racks?

Thanks for your input in advance everyone!
If price didn't matter, I would definitely choose the 6 racks, for exactly the reasons you stated.

I used a Gen #1 with 4 racks for 5 years, and now I have a Gen #2.5 with 6 racks, and being able to choose where I want the items came in handy already. With my Ham Smoke, I put the Ham on rack #4, and my fat drip pan on #1, for the fat to drip onto the Ham. This gave me room between the top rack & the top of the ham, to put the glaze on later in the smoke.

And yes---I would never use the bottom rack in either smoker.

Bear

The Cabelas model is back to $370 and would be my first choice because of the lack of a window.
Hmmm---I've used one without a Window for a year, and one with a window for 5 years.

My conclusion is I personally would never buy another MES without a window in the door.

Bear

I have the generation 2.5 with Bluetooth the Bluetooth range is more like 25 to 30 feet. I just replace the temp prob after getting an error code but other then that it works well and the temp seems to be accurate. If it proves not to be accurate at some point, as long as it don't fluctuate I can compensate. My WSM is way off but I know how far off it is so if it reads 275 I know it's really 225. Both are good smokers. Besides the food is coming out of both units done to perfection.

I have the generation 2.5 with Bluetooth the Bluetooth range is more like 25 to 30 feet. I just replace the temp prob after getting an error code but other then that it works well and the temp seems to be accurate. If it proves not to be accurate at some point, as long as it don't fluctuate I can compensate. My WSM is way off but I know how far off it is so if it reads 275 I know it's really 225. Both are good smokers. Besides the food is coming out of both units done to perfection.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

I haven't been on this forum in a while, or smoking either, but today am smoking a ham in my 40 in MES Bluetooth smoker and I noticed Masterbuilt apparently changed their Bluetooth format and I can't figure it out! Anybody experience that?
Dennis Pfaff

I haven't been on this forum in a while, or smoking either, but today am smoking a ham in my 40 in MES Bluetooth smoker and I noticed Masterbuilt apparently changed their Bluetooth format and I can't figure it out! Anybody experience that?
Dennis Pfaff
I noticed lately that you haven't been on here and was thinking about messaging you to see why.

With my not being the "smartest tool in the shed", what do you mean here that Masterbuilt changed their Bluetooth Format? 

Last edited:
Hey Jim,
I had a triple hernia surgery, but recovered now. I just haven't had the time to smoke, but for the holidays I am back to smoking a few things.
So...when I clicked on my iPad Masterbuilt Bluetooth icon today, it totally changed. Even wanted me to re-register. Once I loaded it again, I couldn't figure how to adjust the temp setting, up or down. Has a new look. Of course, I am able to use the controls at the smoker. I was just curious if anyone experienced this issue.
I also noticed Bear finally got his 2.5 40 in her, and likes it.
Dennis

My guess as to why the brisket war dry is because it was under cooked. 10 hours isn't vary long for a brisket. Generally figure 11/2 hours per pound or to be more accurate cook at 200 to 225 until the inturnal temp hits 195 to 200. Wrap it in stretch wrap and heavy duty foil and put it in a cooler for 3 or 4 hours.

Hey Jim,
I had a triple hernia surgery, but recovered now. I just haven't had the time to smoke, but for the holidays I am back to smoking a few things.
So...when I clicked on my iPad Masterbuilt Bluetooth icon today, it totally changed. Even wanted me to re-register. Once I loaded it again, I couldn't figure how to adjust the temp setting, up or down. Has a new look. Of course, I am able to use the controls at the smoker. I was just curious if anyone experienced this issue.
I also noticed Bear finally got his 2.5 40 in her, and likes it.
Dennis
Dennis, glad you are fully recovered and up and about again. I am recovering from my back surgery on Thursday of this week to repair another fractured vertebrae. that is the 3rd time in the past 2 years. Limited to 10# of lifting for 8 weeks, so I am not smoking on my BT at the moment.

I don't have an iPad, so I adjust my BT manually.

Last edited:
What version of the MB APP are you running?  I have 1.2.0 and the interface seems the same as it always was on my Android.   I sometimes have to re-pair my MES with the app, is that what you mean by "register"?

You may need to delete the app from your phone and re-install.  What type of phone?

What version of the MB APP are you running?  I have 1.2.0 and the interface seems the same as it always was on my Android.   I sometimes have to re-pair my MES with the app, is that what you mean by "register"?

You may need to delete the app from your phone and re-install.  What type of phone?

I have the 2.5 MES Bluetooth 40 in model. I sent an email to Masterbuilt asking them how to use their new Bluetooth format, and they asked me to call them and they will walk me through the changes. I use my iPad for this, no cell phone.
Dennis

I have the 2.5 MES 40 with blue tooth I simply down loaded a free app from the app store and named my smoker as directed. In the app the name of my smoker comes up, select it and provided that I am within the 30 foot range I get a message saying that the smoker is off do you want to turn it on? Once I turn it on I am ask to set temp and time the unit will not start heating until time is set, then it will display "heating" until it gets to the set heat.

I have the 2.5 MES 40 with blue tooth I simply down loaded a free app from the app store and named my smoker as directed. In the app the name of my smoker comes up, select it and provided that I am within the 30 foot range I get a message saying that the smoker is off do you want to turn it on? Once I turn it on I am ask to set temp and time the unit will not start heating until time is set, then it will display "heating" until it gets to the set heat.

Yeah, I get that. We have the same unit. Since I had not used my smoker for 2+ mos, I was a bit confused when they (Masterbuilt), changed the Bluetooth format. I called them today, and now I understand it. I forgot to ask why they changed the format, or if they improved the range while they were making changes. [emoji]128518[/emoji]
I will be smoking a pork tenderloin roast Christmas - I'll check to see if any improvement in the Bluetooth range. Doubtful.

Happy holidays to everyone!
Dennis

OK, I'm the new guy here. Over the weekend on Saturday I purchased a 30" MES Bluetooth Digital smoker at Home Depot. My model came with the 12" legs. Took about 40 minutes to put together, then I did the 3 hour cleaning and seasoning at 275.

Sunday, I smoked my first racks of ribs using the 3-2-1 at 225. I surprised myself with how good they came out, for my first time using the smoker.

I found the 30" MES Bluetooth very easy to use. The Bluetooth app on my iPhone connected very well from anywhere in my house. I was a little concerned about the connection, because this seem to be an issue with some online reviews of the MES BT. 

My only complaint, is the limited smoke and smoke time using the built in wood chip loader. I was having to load more wood chips every 45 minutes to keep the smoke going, major PIA. So I ordered the A-Maze-N 5x8 pellet smoker, which should get here on Wednesday. Masterbuilt should seriously think about incorporating the pellet smoker into their design of the MES. 

Once I get the pellet smoker, I plan on smoking some more ribs and a Boston Butt for Christmas dinner.

I'm sure I will be on the forum asking lots of questions.

OK, I'm the new guy here. Over the weekend on Saturday I purchased a 30" MES Bluetooth Digital smoker at Home Depot. My model came with the 12" legs. Took about 40 minutes to put together, then I did the 3 hour cleaning and seasoning at 275.

Sunday, I smoked my first racks of ribs using the 3-2-1 at 225. I surprised myself with how good they came out, for my first time using the smoker.

I found the 30" MES Bluetooth very easy to use. The Bluetooth app on my iPhone connected very well from anywhere in my house. I was a little concerned about the connection, because this seem to be an issue with some online reviews of the MES BT. 

My only complaint, is the limited smoke and smoke time using the built in wood chip loader. I was having to load more wood chips every 45 minutes to keep the smoke going, major PIA. So I ordered the A-Maze-N 5x8 pellet smoker, which should get here on Wednesday. Masterbuilt should seriously think about incorporating the pellet smoker into their design of the MES. 

Once I get the pellet smoker, I plan on smoking some more ribs and a Boston Butt for Christmas dinner.

I'm sure I will be on the forum asking lots of questions.
Welcome Bro !!  
welcome1.gif

You'll love that AMNPS !!!

Here's some things that should help with your learning curve:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky