New England Kettle Style Chicken Cordon Bleu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, it's a fairly nice Saturday, and we decided to have some chicken cooked on the BBQ. We didn't really feel like wings, thighs or drummies. So we decided to go with Cordon Bleu. Here it is, hope you can tolerate the play-by-play.

Started off by butterflying some chicken breasts. Then pounding them flat and even with Thors hammer. Once flattened they went into a pickle juice marinate for about 6 hours.
DSC02992.JPG

Out of their juice bath and onto a piece of plastic wrap, and patted dry:

DSC02993.JPG

First layer is the ham:

DSC02996.JPG

Then the Swiss Cheese:

DSC02998.JPG

Another layer of ham:

DSC03000.JPG

The second layer of Swiss:

DSC03002.JPG

And the final installment of ham:

DSC03004.JPG

All yodeled up into a nice log. Toothpicks are helping it keep it's shape.

DSC03006.JPG

Wrap them up in the plastic wrap and spin them to tighten the shape even more. Then into the fridge for a few hours to set up:

DSC03012.JPG

Fired up the 22" kettle with charcoal baskets and put on a couple of spuds. After the spuds have cooked for 20 mins. on goes the chicken.

DSC03016.JPG

While the chicken is cooking. I whipped up a Parmesan Dejon sauce. Chicken is done and off the kettle:

DSC03023.JPG

Sliced up and topped with the sauce:

DSC03026.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek, Sorry about this one being so pic heavy.

Chris

Thanks for the pics, very helpful. I never would have thought to do chicken cordon bleu on the Q. Looks like you have been perfecting that technique for awhile. Great looking meal.

Reactions: gmc2003
Excellent job on this Chris. I'd never have thought to do it on the grill. I may have to rip this one off when I follow my wife back to keto diet land...replacing the bread crumbs with crushed pork rinds of course.

Reactions: clifish and gmc2003
I thought the pics were great! That looks amazing Cris! I love cordon bleu and never thought of grilling it either.

Those look pretty darn good from my seat. Been awhile since i have done them, but this might crank me up again.

Pam and I get Chicken Cordon Bleu Grillers from our HyVee meat market that are very similar and very good. Yours look fantastic Chris!

That is beautiful Chris!! Very well done sir...and yes, I do love Chicken Cordon Bleu!! Around here though I have to use turkey though being that Tracy is allergic to chicken, but the end result is pretty much the same. Thanks for sharing and the great tutorial.

Robert

Looks great Chris
Thanks Jim,

Thanks for the pics, very helpful. I never would have thought to do chicken cordon bleu on the Q. Looks like you have been perfecting that technique for awhile. Great looking meal.
I appreciate it tntragan, I've found most anything you can do in the oven, deep fry, or pan fry can be done on the kettle. My wife and I are trying to stay away from using oil when cooking. I've even done blooming onions on the kettle before.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Excellent job on this Chris. I'd never have thought to do it on the grill. I may have to rip this one off when I follow my wife back to keto diet land...replacing the bread crumbs with crushed pork rinds of course.
Thank you kindly Ringer. Are you talking about the pork rinds that are sold in the potato chip aisle.

Chris

Some fine work there Chris, looks delicious! A real nice tip on the cling wrap too, I'll be using that! RAY

Those look pretty darn good from my seat. Been awhile since i have done them, but this might crank me up again.
Get cranking Winter and thanks for the kind words.
Pam and I get Chicken Cordon Bleu Grillers from our HyVee meat market that are very similar and very good. Yours look fantastic Chris!
Thanks Collin. I see them for sale in our local grocer also, but I haven't tried theirs. I may make them with Gruyere cheese next time instead of Swiss. Just to change things up a little.

Chris

Reactions: Colin1230
Thanks Jim,

I appreciate it tntragan, I've found most anything you can do in the oven, deep fry, or pan fry can be done on the kettle. My wife and I are trying to stay away from using oil when cooking. I've even done blooming onions on the kettle before.

Chris
Looks great Chris, I would love to see the write up on those onions sometime.

That is beautiful Chris!! Very well done sir...and yes, I do love Chicken Cordon Bleu!! Around here though I have to use turkey though being that Tracy is allergic to chicken, but the end result is pretty much the same. Thanks for sharing and the great tutorial.

Robert
Turkey sounds great Robert. I may join you and give it turkey whirl. Thanks for the compliment also.
Looks delicious Chris. Big like.
Thank you very much Smokin,

Chris

Wow, Chris' that surely looks delicious. Just plain delicious.
Gary
Thank you very much for the compliment Gary. It was really good. Filling also. I couldn't eat my spud that night.
Yes sir. Makes a great bread crumb substitute while cutting carbs.

Parmesean is genius too!
Thanks Ringer. I do remember rinds being used before on here. I'm gonna have to give it a try. I could use a carb or two cut from my waistline.

Chris
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky