My coffee cup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
I am enjoying a morning out on the back porch with a cup of coffee. It’s a good day. I just firing up the smoker to do a pork butt. It’s these times when my mind wanders and I thought about my coffee cup. It brought up several questions. Does anyone else have a coffee cup that has stuck with them? Does it bring back any memories? Here is mine
EDE98FC2-CE9F-4F42-8F89-C83735B1D7CE.jpeg

I purchased it in 1990 in Seattle.
E36D6AD2-838E-4FC8-B2C9-B1445D312A6B.jpeg

It was my cup that helped get me through school when the coffee was cheap and I drank it in quantity (much like other things in school). I have worked with that cup feeding me coffee my entire career, through different jobs. Now that I have retired, it has followed me home. I am pretty much the only one that ever uses it, and it doesn’t go in the cupboard, it just gets rinsed out and sits out until coffee the next day. I have never considered it a sentimental thing, but damn this thing has been with me a while! Anybody else have their coffee cup? Curious to hear the stories (if there are any).

No real set coffee cup like that for me...unless you want to count the yeti I only drink coffee out of. I've had it about 4 yrs.
I bet there are some great stories that mug could tell!

Jim

Reactions: chp
Not I, never touch the stuff.
I do have a 32oz. glass that is always filled with ice tea 24/7/365.

I love your coffee mug.

Last edited:
Not I, never tough the cup.
I do have a 32oz. glass that is always filled with ice tea 24/7/365.

I love your coffee mug.
Thanks. I have never been a tea drinker and try the iced coffee thing once in a while. It never really stuck, but I’m guessing you likely grew up with tea around and for me it was just coffee.

I don't know how I put "never tough the cup" when it was supposed to be "never touch the stuff".
Musta had a really big brain fart. Haha

I don't drink coffee, but I do have a glass that has a lot of meaning/memories. My dad got it for me at a gas station in LI in 1970. Celebrating the Mets winning the WS. The last time I remember using it was in 86 when the Mets beat the Red Sox.

1692718772631.png

I'll dig it out when I get home. Got a personalized mug at my first duty station and it's been with me since the late 80's. As to washing... that's a nono for a sailors coffee cup, especially the Chief's cup.

My main two ... coffee cup on the left, don't even have a clue where we got it. Usually sits on the counter from day to day... just love it for some reason. It usually gets a couple fills in the morning before getting poured the yeti. Wife and I have a matching set... turns out if you buy $100,000 worth of gates you get a couple of yetis... maybe next time we should just buy them outright! :emoji_blush:

20230822_110021.jpg

Guess it makes it easier to see when I actually add the pic!

Ryan

Last edited:
My main two ... coffee cup on the left, don't even have a clue where we got it. Usually sits on the counter from day to day... just love it for some reason. It usually gets a couple fills in the morning before getting poured the yeti. Wife and I have a matching set... turns out if you buy $100,000 worth of gates you get a couple of yetis... maybe next time we should just buy them outright! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Ryan,
I am not seeing an attachment.

Cy

Reactions: Brokenhandle
IMG_20210603_110941.jpg

Got this cup around 2005 when I first took a job in Gas Control, twelve hour shifts. I have no idea how many thousands of cups of coffee I have drank from that cup. Retired in 2020 and still drinking from it.

I am enjoying a morning out on the back porch with a cup of coffee. It’s a good day. I just firing up the smoker to do a pork butt. It’s these times when my mind wanders and I thought about my coffee cup. It brought up several questions. Does anyone else have a coffee cup that has stuck with them? Does it bring back any memories? Here is mine
Anybody else have their coffee cup? Curious to hear the stories (if there are any).

So here it is, my very first coffee cup and yes a story. You asked!
I didn't drink coffee at all before I joined the Navy. My dad was an early riser and worked at a glass plant in Carleton... mom was up and at it quite early brewing his coffee in a old electric percolator... the smell of it brewing in the wee hours of the morning along with the oh so sweet smell of frying bacon for his breakfast used to drive me nuts, but I just couldn't stand the taste of coffee. Bacon? well duh! Anyway, fast forward till I was 21. Went on a camping trip somewhere along Skyline drive with a few folks from the shop and after a long night of merriment and otherwise, someone stuck a cup in my hand while we were cooking breakfast over a fire ring. Caffeine from drinking pop didn't compare. After two cups I was ready to move mountains! This takes me down memory lane as I had wrapped it in newspaper and stashed it in a bin with some other quite memorable glasses from my past, but they're not coffee cups so that is for another day.

Good thread! Keep it going.

20230822_163612.jpg

Didn't drink coffee either... until between my 1st and 2nd year of college, told my girlfriend and now wife that I was gonna acquire the taste of coffee... needed something to get me going as well. She asked if I wanted cream or sugar? Hell no I said... gonna acquire the taste black... and to this day... only black coffee.

Ryan

turns out if you buy $100,000 worth of gates you get a couple of yetis... maybe next time we should just buy them outright! :emoji_blush:
Yeah, especially at the price of gates these days! We did have a farm supply place on the other side of the county that sold Tarter factory seconds ........ unfortunately he went out of business a year or two ago.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I use the beer 1 the most, wife bought me a couple of these john wayne cups, I keep 1 at my sons house , more coffee than beer by far these days, getting old sucks but part of it, had a Duck Dynasty cup that i really like but it got chipped .

Attachments

• IMG_8412.jpeg
    IMG_8412.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8411.jpeg
    IMG_8411.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8410.jpeg
    IMG_8410.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky