Not Your Average Cup O' Joe Brisket Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PapaBerr

Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
Texas
Hello everyone, just wanted to make my post, outside of introductions, here because I am stuck on this rub. I've somewhat thought about a coffee based rub several times over the last few years, and through my initial exploration of these forums upon discovering their existence I just knew this was the place to develop this idea into a real rub.

Biggest thing, the coffee. I have searched and scoured, but have failed to find a source of information that goes beyond 'we used coffee grounds'. So, based on my own intuition, I assumed the darkest roast beans, roasted at the lowest reasonable temp (410 degrees) in order to maximize acidity, then cold smoked over the same wood that will be used for the main cook would be the best way to utilize the coffee in the rub. But since I can find very little information about what works best, I have no real baseline to work from.

Ingredients:
Undetermined amount of Fresh Ground Coffee Bean of undetermined roast and variety​
1/2 Cup Course Salt​
1/2 Cup Course Pepper​
1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic​
1/2 Cup Cayenne Powder​

Application:
On Beef with Yellow Mustard as a binder.​
Please feel free to give me what you got for information. I am determined to make this rub an immaculate version of itself.

Reactions: JLeonard
1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic

1/2 Cup Cayenne Powder

I can't add anything about the coffee, because I'm not a fan of it. However to start I'd cut the garlic and probably the Cayenne in half to a 1/4 cup. You may also want to think about including onion powder(1/4 cup). Once you get the basic rub to where you want then slowly add the coffee experimenting with different types and strengths.

Chris

I can't add anything about the coffee, because I'm not a fan of it. However to start I'd cut the garlic and probably the Cayenne in half to a 1/4 cup. You may also want to think about including onion powder(1/4 cup).

Chris
Thanks! I will admit I previously never measured, I just added and taste tested, but I want to do better. So, those measurements were mostly just to have some. Making notes, for sure!

Thanks! I will admit I previously never measured, I just added and taste tested, but I want to do better. So, those measurements were mostly just to have some. Making notes, for sure!
Making notes is essential in the beginning. Once you have your basic rub down then you can experiment with different spices and things like coffee. Good luck and let us know how it turns outs.

id say as others…. Get your basic rub where you want it… then small batch with coffee added in til you get the taste you’re looking for. Of course now you got me thinking… there is a roaster close by thst makes a mean pecan flavored coffee that might would make a good addition to A rub.

Jim

Reactions: PapaBerr
id say as others…. Get your basic rub where you want it… then small batch with coffee added in til you get the taste you’re looking for. Of course now you got me thinking… there is a roaster close by thst makes a mean pecan flavored coffee that might would make a good addition to A rub.

Jim
So my, ‘felt out’ rub has been pretty solid and I do have it jotted down on a napkin. Just got a book to help with that. That is why I was looking to really nail this one in. My main focus, other than being more precise in all measurements, is to hone in on the variables available with the coffee portion, itself. I surely cannot be a pioneer in this thought process.

Ok, so I think I got a winner here. Finally found some information that feeds my theory. I realized in making this reply that both sources are from the same place, but since I am not using their coffee, it will just be for the sake of data.

"The acidity levels of coffee replicate tannins in wine, which allow amplification of flavor. But it doesn’t stop there. Coffee rub on steak can also act as a tenderizer, making meat softer and enhancing the moisture of the meat by creating a sealed crust of flavor." - Koffee Kult Article

Couple this with the data below that indicates relative pH compared to roasting temperature pH the bean.

Cup1Cup2Cup3Cup4Cup5Average pH
410 Degrees5.2pH5.2pH5.3pH5.3pH5.3pH5.26
425 Degrees5.3pH5.4pH5.4pH5.3pH5.4pH5.36
450 Degrees5.6pH5.6pH5.7pH5.6pH5.6pH5.62
475 Degrees6.5pH6.3pH6.3pH6.2pH6.2pH6.3
500 Degrees6.6pH6.7pH6.6pH6.6pH6.7pH6.64

So with that information I will be contacting a local roaster tomorrow and seeing about their roast temp, already have my eye on a product of theirs that I think fits the bill. Will update, please feel free to chime in anyone. Im all ears.

Reactions: ConrodM
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky