Hickory smoke flavoring problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheSmoke

Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
Hi there, I’m trying to make a rub that’s similar to Kansas style rubs. Most popular rubs of brands have amazing earthy real hickory wood smell with the combination of other spices and herbs.

However, I tried using hickory smoke from the market in my testing rub, but it produced a "burnt" bad chemical smell and flavor. Even using small amounts!!

Which made me think, do these popular manufacturers use different techniques to add this smell and taste? Like using liquid smoke then dehydrating!! I don’t know! Should I try it?

I use Oak in my smoker to cook meats, but this hickory flavor will be used for rubs like fries, not necessarily meat.

Two popular brands that have an amazing final product when it comes to hickory smoke flavor are Jack Stack BBQ and Joe’s Kansas City.

Your thoughts will be helpful.

Thanks

I'd look at the ingredients, either on package or manufacturers website.
You're going to find Hickory Smoke Flavor listed.
You can buy it as a powder from various retailers.
E.g. Amazon,
Bearded Butcher's Hickory Smoke flavored powder.

Last edited:
I'd look at the ingredients, either on package or manufacturers website.
You're going to find Hickory Smoke Flavor listed.
You can buy it as a powder from various retailers.
E.g. Amazon,
Bearded Butcher's Hickory Smoke flavored powder.

Thanks. Do you think natural hickory flavor in rubs is always in the form of powder, and not obtained through other processes done on rubs? If this is the case, then I will test more brands. I just ordered Bearded Butcher’s and it will arrive soon. Hopefully, it won't have a burnt flavor. Thanks, Chilerelleno.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky