Unreachable at the moment...too far down a rabbit hole!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I rec'd my 3D printer (Sovol SV06) 2 weeks ago today. QUICKLY realized I needed to learn a new CAD software, so I tried FreeCad, OnShape, and Fusion 360 (free version) and settled on F360 (a LOT more online tutorials/help), so after printing a simple small tool tray for my 3DP tools, a pencil cup for my desk, storage boxes for AA and AAA batteries, and a LOT of bits and doodads so I could see how this whole "thing" works, I decided to tackle fasteners...

20240325_161333_resized (002).jpg

That's a 1/4x20 bolt and nut (which is screwed onto a 1/4x20 piece of allthread to show it fits)...HELLO TO ENDLESS STAR KNOBS IN WHATEVER SIZE I NEED!

Next up...figuring out how to model water hose fittings. As F360 does not appear to include NH threads (even in the paid version :emoji_thinking:), I had to find the standards and will go from there.

Just needed to share with someone who appreciates tinkering around for no reason other than they can...as you were!

I prefer tinkercad. It's not a true cad program but it is quick and easy to use.

I just picked up two sets of hex wrenches, metric and SAE. Instead of using a removable handle I designed one I can print for each of them. I noticed the hotend had worked itself loose and why the print lines look pretty obvious. Fixing that now before printing all 22 of them. It will have threaded inserts with a grub screw to hold it in place. I will also laser the size into each side of the handle after they are printed.

hex_wrench_handles.jpg

Not much to add but my son runs a couple different printers. For the most part he goes to a web site called “thingaverse” they have virtually anything you could imagine already designed, all you have to do is plug in their parameters and print.

I rec'd my 3D printer (Sovol SV06) 2 weeks ago today. QUICKLY realized I needed to learn a new CAD software, so I tried FreeCad, OnShape, and Fusion 360 (free version) and settled on F360 (a LOT more online tutorials/help), so after printing a simple small tool tray for my 3DP tools, a pencil cup for my desk, storage boxes for AA and AAA batteries, and a LOT of bits and doodads so I could see how this whole "thing" works, I decided to tackle fasteners...

View attachment 692631

That's a 1/4x20 bolt and nut (which is screwed onto a 1/4x20 piece of allthread to show it fits)...HELLO TO ENDLESS STAR KNOBS IN WHATEVER SIZE I NEED!

Next up...figuring out how to model water hose fittings. As F360 does not appear to include NH threads (even in the paid version :emoji_thinking:), I had to find the standards and will go from there.

Just needed to share with someone who appreciates tinkering around for no reason other than they can...as you were!
Super cool stuff!!!
If you ever want to tackle little projects and do-dads I could always request rifle 3-D rifle printed rifle hand loading gadgets. Or a spacer for the Chef's Choice slicer that keeps the bottom of the meat from forming a tail while slicing, etc. etc. More rabbit hole stuff for you to think on :D

This is how the rendering of the handle above looks in tinkercad. I increased it to four handles at a time. This part is so tall and skinny it needs supports to keep it from breaking off during printing.

tinkercad.jpg

Reactions: SherryT
We have garden hose threads!!

20240326_011528_resized (002).jpg

I found a thread profile/xml thingamajig (don't judge me...I'm learning!) and put it in the thread profile folder file under Fusion...works like a charm...AND IT FIT without any tweaking! :emoji_astonished:

Hear that? That's me squealing like a 12 year-old at a Beatles concert!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky