More Sunday Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Had these sitting in a bowl of rub and apple juice for a few hours. Strait on the traeger for about 45 minutes on high. No sauce. just wanted simple.

Yum
30874021628_c9398de54c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a great Sunday everyone.

Great looking wings Brian. What temp on the smoker?

I had to work a 12hr. shift today. Those wings would have been nice to come home to.

Point for sure.

Chris

Great looking wings Brian. What temp on the smoker?

I did it on a Analog Traeger and the lid said it was near 400. Because I wasn't worried about it I didn't use my thermometer at grate level. So Im guessing 325-375 ish.

They were simple but some of the best wings. Sometimes you can't beat simple.

Reactions: pc farmer
Great job on the wings Brian!
They look delicious!
I usually do ours on the Smoke Vault & it's a quick & easy meal.
Al

Great job on the wings Brian!
They look delicious!
I usually do ours on the Smoke Vault & it's a quick & easy meal.
Al

Thanks Al. They are a very quick and easy meal for sure.

If you're gonna run it hot and fast, next time might I suggest giving them an overnight brine first? Your skin looks tasty (I like the black bits personally) but perhaps a bit slower may render a bit more of that fat off. Between that and the brining, I bet you end up with a superior skin.

Now that being said, I've hucked some wings on just to have a quick smoker meal myself. To each their own :-)

If you're gonna run it hot and fast, next time might I suggest giving them an overnight brine first? Your skin looks tasty (I like the black bits personally) but perhaps a bit slower may render a bit more of that fat off. Between that and the brining, I bet you end up with a superior skin.

Now that being said, I've hucked some wings on just to have a quick smoker meal myself. To each their own :)

Normally I do go overnight with it. The skin was good to go on these. The char was from the sugar in the brine at those high temps.

Thanks for looking.

Hey, No judgment here. I love just a touch of blackened skin. Gives you that extra flavor :)

No offense taken at all here. Its all good in the hood.

Now that being said, I've hucked some wings on just to have a quick smoker meal myself. To each their own :)
Hi from Australia
I notice your mention of superior skin on smoked chicken wings and hope you may be able to help me

A friend has been smoking wings, and they end up with a rubbery skin. They have been done for a couple oh hours at 125 centigrade .
They have a beautiful colour and taste - but the skin is not perfect
The wings are quite "prime" as in good quality and fat -
have you any ideas where we may be going wrong ??
we did consider blanching them before the cook - would this help ?
any ideas greatly appreciated
regards
Vic

The reason the wings are rubbery is because the subcutaneous fat isn't rendering off.

Two suggestions.

1. Brining them overnight. After the brining, pull them out and rinse them off and paper towel dry them. Put on a cooling rack so that air can get on all sides and let the wings dry out in your fridge for as long as you can tolerate, but a minimum of 3 hours.

2. I've heard of folks steaming them for a bit in order to render a bunch of fat out. I haven't tried it myself but do want to.

The reason the wings are rubbery is because the subcutaneous fat isn't rendering off.

Two suggestions.

1. Brining them overnight. After the brining, pull them out and rinse them off and paper towel dry them. Put on a cooling rack so that air can get on all sides and let the wings dry out in your fridge for as long as you can tolerate, but a minimum of 3 hours.

2. I've heard of folks steaming them for a bit in order to render a bunch of fat out. I haven't tried it myself but do want to.

many Thanks your reply
Vic

Also I was thinking 125 sounds a bit low. That's 257f. If your smoker is capable of temps over 300f (150c) that would also help with your skin :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky