Memorial Day '08 smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldgrandman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
GR, MI
Had a good breakfast to start the day, fresh breaded morels!

memorial_breakfast.jpg

I had a turkey breast on the smoker by 10:20 am. The GrandDad is my marinade
biggrin.gif

ready.jpg

Here it is about to be pulled off the smoker.
Used a honey brine on the bird. Hickory for smoke. About a 4.7 # boneless breast. Charcoal smoked on an R2D2 type smoker. I think the wind helped keep the temp down so that was good. Pulled it at 167 degrees after 4 hours. (the post time on this site says 2 o'clock but I posted at 3 o'clock where I am at actually)

memorial_smoked_turkey_breast.jpg

Those morels look mighty good, really tasty!! I've never had the pleasure of having them so seeing the pics is worth it! The bird looks good, am anxious to see how everything turns out.

Good job!

Nice lookin birdy boob, and them morels are makin me crazy.!
cool.gif

Should I have pulled the skin first? I end up tossing it anyways. And I did not rub it, would that be a good idea also? It was very good and moist this way, always looking for improvements though!

That looks great! beautiful color. even if you don't eat the skin, definitely leave it on for smoking, it helps keep the meat moist. Same goes for any cooking method. I find that poultry skin is a little tough to do more than nibble on after it's been in the smoker for hours (mmm smoky human chew toy), I give it to the dogs after I'm done with it, they go nuts

What temps did you Q at?? With that ECB you should be able to get your temps UP to around 325*. That should save your skin, or you could pull it and finish it on the grill, direct heat to crisp up the skin. Great lookin meat there anyhow. Keep at it poultry is probably the hardest, at least for me.

Good luck.

You know, I don't have a temp gauge for the smoker, only take the meat temps but am considering the smoker temp option. Just so I know whats going on. Been talking to the local meat guy I go to and he can help.
And I think skin on was good, thin sliced it was good when fresh off the smoker, just the next day was it rubbery. I never thought about putting it back on and crisping it up after pulling it though. I've done that on the grill with thigh skins.... we like the human chew toys too missmechante!
Thanks for the feedback, definitely be keeping at it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky