Masterbuilt smoker vent position?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear I certainly did not mean to miss quote you I do apologize Jted

People on this Forum know how to use the MES units.

People in their office know how to sell them. The book tells us to soak the chips too, but most people here have learned not to do that.

The only time my top vent is closed is for pre-heating. Sometimes half open if windy. All other times 100% open.

Bear

I tried once to smoke my meat with the vent closed on my MES per manuel instructions. I've never done that before and never will again. It was awful and i've been grilling all my life.

I find that hard to believe (though not impossible). Why even bother having a vent in that case?
Hmmm.... Not anymore..... " Close air damper on side of unit to retain moisture and heat. If cooking foods such as fish or jerky, open air damper to release moisture." 

I guess you could do this before or after applying smoke but not during.

Last edited:

Bear never said you don't need it. I would think having the whole 3" diameter open would be too much elimination of heat.

I find the amount of hole area in the stock vent to be just about right when opened 100%, so I keep my original vent in place.

Bear
yeahthat.gif
  b

I have the same manual for my MES. Its for model 20076314.

The manual code is 9807130085 022614-23GH

I've been leaving mine 1/2 way open and it works great. When I foil up my meat I close the vent.

I don't have any problems not getting enough smoke.

Cheers, Keith

My MES smokes great! There is nothing bad i can say about it. Now i love smoking even more and was able to get the 30" digital electric smoker for 169.00 and free shipping. Well worth every penny and all you do is turn it on and relax.
Kenny

may i please go off topic? early on, there was mention that closing vents increases moisture. also, that moisture was necessary for smoke to adhere.

so, vents should be closed if you live in an incredibly dry area/

i have an  icky trager with no way to close vents. i live in an incredibly dry area. does that mean i should close off vents with tinfoil for best smoke?

may i please go off topic? early on, there was mention that closing vents increases moisture. also, that moisture was necessary for smoke to adhere.

i have an  icky trager with no way to close vents. i live in an incredibly dry area. does that mean i should close off vents with tinfoil for best smoke?
Hi Susiqz!

You should take that question to a Trager forum on the main index.

I don't think anyone on this Masterbuilt thread is going to close vents to increase moisture, and I don't find moisture necessary for smoke to adhere.

I can say that you shouldn't close off everything, or the smoke could get stagnant & get a bitter taste. The smoke has to keep moving, and can't be too heavy. You want "TBS".

Bear

Susie, ever smoker you ever smoke upon will have its on idiosyncrasys as well as the apparant reconized differences. Electrics and firebreathers are completely different, yet the same. You can't apply the some inherit function of snoking with charcoal with smoking with wood, it may be one of those differences. You'll just learn how you best want to use yours.

I have a couple of pipe pits with mo adjustment in the discharge, but vents in the suction. You just learn how to use them. Untill you get to a monster pit you really only need one vent to regulate air flow. Then in bigger you get one for fire heat and one for air flow, the you'll add a discharge, etc... its all about what you have to work with.

Add a pan of water if you think you need moisture. try it and see how it affects your next smoke and if you like it. Thats the old school way. Try it and see what you think. Everyone here not only smokes differently but enjoys they smae meat cooked differently Bite or no bite, sauce or no sauce, spices, woods, moisture..... its about you making your pit do it your way.

All this knowledge is great but not all will apply to you, your pit, or ya wants and style of smoking. Its up to you.

I am leaving mine almost completely open and the unit holds heat well.  The bark and color so far are amazing. 

As for the wood not burning?  Mine is set at 225F right now and the chips are turning to white ash.  I apparently got one of the good chip burners!!! 

I always leave the vent on my MES fully open now, which is working fine for me.  It's a good thing to because at this point it's jammed open and I'll need to give it a good cleaning to fix that.
biggrin.gif

I always leave the vent on my MES fully open now, which is working fine for me.  It's a good thing to because at this point it's jammed open and I'll need to give it a good cleaning to fix that.
biggrin.gif
Mine gets stuck when it cools, but moves easily once it warms up.

Bear

biggrin.gif
Splash a little vinegar on it let it soak a bit and  then wipe it out with a paper towel. It will loosen up with no problem and the vinegar won't leave an after smell or taste. 

Good luck with this.  Before I used the smoke would would try some options with the vents versus temperature, I usually have the top vent pretty much open and the lower vents 25% open.  Get a thermometer that shows the heat at the smoking grills, don't use the one that came with the smoker.  Play with the vents until you can get about 225 degrees to hold steady.  I really like using big chunks of wood in the smoker box, I find that they smoke for a long time and give a great flavor.  Use an in-meat thermometer and smoke it until it is about 144 degrees.  Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.  I'd prep the meet with just a bit of salt and pepper for the first time, you can try other rubs on your next one. 

Good luck with this.  Before I used the smoke would would try some options with the vents versus temperature, I usually have the top vent pretty much open and the lower vents 25% open.  Get a thermometer that shows the heat at the smoking grills, don't use the one that came with the smoker.  Play with the vents until you can get about 225 degrees to hold steady.  I really like using big chunks of wood in the smoker box, I find that they smoke for a long time and give a great flavor.  Use an in-meat thermometer and smoke it until it is about 144 degrees.  Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.  I'd prep the meet with just a bit of salt and pepper for the first time, you can try other rubs on your next one. 
That's all very interesting, but what are you smoking & what smoker are you smoking it in.

This thread is about the top vent positioning in a Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse.

It has no lower vents, and if you want it to hold at 225°, you just set it to hold at 225°.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky