Masterbuilt smoker vent position?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've been smoking with the vent open since I got the MES a few months back and haven't had any issues doing it that way and have been getting satisfying levels of smoke flavor.

I'm about to do a smoke for the first time with the Masterbuilt cold smoker attached and will again leave vent all the way open.  Qview thread to follow.

I just bought my MES 30 inch unit this week through QVC. The page that was posted is in my manual as well (page 3). I could find no publication date on the Manual.

Best,
Bob P

Related question:

What exactly does adding a 3" elbow-type vent to the top do?  Does it add to the circulation in any way?

Related question:

What exactly does adding a 3" elbow-type vent to the top do?  Does it add to the circulation in any way?
I would direct that towards Dave. He's the engineer. Each fitting reduces flow due to turbulence and friction while each extention adds to flow, so it actually increases what the diameter of the pipe's flow function.

I think I read somewhere add three feet is basically like going from a 3" to a 4" vent in flow without having to change the physical box. That's something good when trying to draw a draft.

Dave's the man, he knows it all. He's one fart smeller, oooops, I meant smart fellar

Last edited:
I picked up a Masterbuilt 30inch S/S smoker as a replacement smoker.  I had ribs to perfection in my old smoker but now I need to find my way again.

I noticed in the owner's manual, very little reference is made to position of vent for the smoker during use.  I believe it said to have completely open during jerky or fish and this is it.  I tried smoking three racks of ribs at 220F.  I had the vent completely closed and at 4hrs...  they were still gray and rubbery, I opened the vent wide open and the finally started to brown.  Not very good in the end.

Is there any advice with regards to vent position?  I have read a 1/16 inch to half to full open . 

In my previous smoking experience, I have never wrapped anything in foil.  Am I missing something by not doing this?

Hello fellow barbequing junkies. I purchased the MES electric smoker a month ago and i love it. It says in book the vent should always be closed. I open mine like every smoker i've had, but the book says leave it closed. I tried and the ribs tasted like lighter fluid. Not doing that again! Every person here and the site is awesome!

Hello fellow barbequing junkies. I purchased the MES electric smoker a month ago and i love it. It says in book the vent should always be closed. I open mine like every smoker i've had, but the book says leave it closed. I tried and the ribs tasted like lighter fluid. Not doing that again! Every person here and the site is awesome!
People on this Forum know how to use the MES units.

People in their office know how to sell them. The book tells us to soak the chips too, but most people here have learned not to do that.

The only time my top vent is closed is for pre-heating. Sometimes half open if windy. All other times 100% open.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: lanshark42
I find that hard to believe (though not impossible). Why even bother having a vent in that case?

Also you have to try the 2-2-1 method and I will depending upon how many racks I'm cooking turn the final temp up to 240 for the last 1/2 hour (but be careful until you have tried and tested your MES)   I've had mine for 4 years now (40") and it works out great.

Oh yeah, i've been grilling and smoking for years, but just got the mes. Being from Memphis we were raised on grilling and smoking. That said i'm always open for advice because i'm sure there's a lot of things i don't know. I do know bbqing rocks. I cook everything outside! Thanks Bryant!!

If you're talking about an MES Gen #1, you probably aren't getting much smoke because the bottom of the chip drawer is too far from the element, or there's an extra piece of metal between the drawer & the element. If that's your problem, you may still be able to get the FREE retro-fix chip burner from Masterbuilt, but the best way to fix it would be to get an AMNPS, and start really having fun smoking.

Bear
Thanks,
Bear

People on this Forum know how to use the MES units.

People in their office know how to sell them. The book tells us to soak the chips too, but most people here have learned not to do that.

The only time my top vent is closed is for pre-heating. Sometimes half open if windy. All other times 100% open.

Bear
I hear you Bear, i never bbq without the vent. Wht would there be a vent!!

Like Bear My vent is always wide open. In fact I'd have to hunt the instructions up.. But thought mine read to cook with the vent OPEN rather than closed 
33.gif
  The only time the vent is closed is to keep the bugs out when the smoker is not in use!  You need some air circulating in your machine for a number of reasons. Open it and keep it open. b

I just bought the MES 30 at Academy on 11/29/14 for $199.99. I ordered the cold smoker attachment from Amazon the next day for $58 (I think). I used it twice so far. My manual also says to keep the vent closed. I didn't pay any attention to that. I have smoked for years and I always open the vent at least some. On the MES, I close the vent during preheat and open half way during smoking. The cold smoker attachment will smoke for 4 to 5 hours without adding wood. It says not to use chunks, only chips. I used chips the first time and decided to try the chunks the second time. The chunks worked fine and smoked longer than the chips. Both cooks came out just fine. So far I am happy with both the smoker and the attachment. (Now if I could only get the wife to clean it. Then everything would be perfect.)

I also purchased a MES about a week ago from SAM's Club and the manual that's being referred too came in the box with the unit.

Manual Code: 98017140024 042314-18SS. The "Let's Get Started!" page as shown above is page 3.

Since I am new to using a smoker I called Masterbuilt Customer Service for more information on this topic and was advised  by a nice lady to always keep the "damper" halfway open and never closed.  I haven't tried to use my MES yet, but I am reading a lot before doing so. Thanks to all of you for all the very informative posts. I should be ready in about a week to do my first butt. Thanks all.

Lets talk about the vent position. After about 20 or so hours your vent will be hard to operate. You will need to clean it ( with vinegar) this can be done simply by removing the 10 mm nut and the top comes off. Just clean it up and put it in a box some where. I will look like this

As you can see it is a 3" hole that is constricted by 40 %.  If Bear says you don't need it you don't need it.  If you want to close it at the preheat period most any thing can be sat on top.

My feeling is that you need something to promote good circulation within the box. This helps the pellets to burn. You can do this with a lot of different ways just put Mes smoke stack in the search bar. This is what I do for the time being.View media item 336193

I also purchased a MES about a week ago from SAM's Club and the manual that's being referred too came in the box with the unit.

Manual Code: 98017140024 042314-18SS. The "Let's Get Started!" page as shown above is page 3.

Since I am new to using a smoker I called Masterbuilt Customer Service for more information on this topic and was advised  by a nice lady to always keep the "damper" halfway open and never closed.  I haven't tried to use my MES yet, but I am reading a lot before doing so. Thanks to all of you for all the very informative posts. I should be ready in about a week to do my first butt. Thanks all.
Since you'll be doing your first butt in your MES, maybe this will help:

Pulled Boston Pork Butt         

Bear

Lets talk about the vent position. After about 20 or so hours your vent will be hard to operate. You will need to clean it ( with vinegar) this can be done simply by removing the 10 mm nut and the top comes off. Just clean it up and put it in a box some where. I will look like this

As you can see it is a 3" hole that is constricted by 40 %.  If Bear says you don't need it you don't need it.  If you want to close it at the preheat period most any thing can be sat on top.

My feeling is that you need something to promote good circulation within the box. This helps the pellets to burn. You can do this with a lot of different ways just put Mes smoke stack in the search bar. This is what I do for the time being.View media item 336193
Bear never said you don't need it. I would think having the whole 3" diameter open would be too much elimination of heat.

However If one wanted to, he could use a flat plate to close it off by laying it over the hole, and sliding it over some to allow what he wants for venting.

I find the amount of hole area in the stock vent to be just about right when opened 100%, so I keep my original vent in place.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky