Looking for advice on what smoker to buy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Griz73

Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
I've been smoking on a Big Chief for nearly 20 years, and am finally looking to upgrade to an electric smoker I can use to smoke AND fully cook (without having to transfer to the oven) bigger things like brisket and pork butt, etc. I've been researching and from what I can see, it seems, based on reviews and price, a Masterbuilt 40" is a good choice for the money. Are there any comparable ones in a similar price range I should look at? My biggest concern with the MES is the chip tray looks awfully small. Like it seems I would have to refill the chip tray about every 20 minutes, which, if I'm smoking something for several hours, seems like it might get... tedious? Anyway, any insights from those with opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I would look for a used Smokin-It, Smokin Tex or Cookshack instead of a new ME. Commercial duty vs homeowner quality.

Reactions: 801driver
My biggest concern with the MES is the chip tray looks awfully small. Like it seems I would have to refill the chip tray about every 20 minutes, which, if I'm smoking something for several hours, seems like it might get... tedious? Anyway, any insights from those with opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
First hello and welcome!

This my friend is easily remedied by the use of an Amazen tray(maze) or tube.These two items when used can produce up to 10+ hours of uninterrupted smoke.Both burn pellets and/or pellet dust.You can put either one in the smoker or use the "mailbox" mod.

Welcome to SMF from Indiana. If you go the MES route, do a search here for the mailbox mod. Definitely the way to go.

Online auction or for sale places. I just picked up a MES30 new for stupid cheap. Collecting parts for total PID control. Have new connectors, temp limit switch, old mailbox with drier tube. Just need the PID controller to finish.

First hello and welcome!

This my friend is easily remedied by the use of an Amazen tray(maze) or tube.These two items when used can produce up to 10+ hours of uninterrupted smoke.Both burn pellets and/or pellet dust.You can put either one in the smoker or use the "mailbox" mod.
Thanks so much for the help. I looked at some YouTube videos on the trays and tubes. I didn’t see any that featured the U-bolt mod though. Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of adding that mod to the tubes?

Thanks so much for the help. I looked at some YouTube videos on the trays and tubes. I didn’t see any that featured the U-bolt mod though. Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of adding that mod to the tubes?
Follow this link:

My MES 40 is now about 5 years old. It's my 2nd Masterbuilt. I believe I got 5 or 6 years out of the 30 I had before. I've got no problems filling the chip tray every 30-40 minutes. The 40 will easily accommodate full racks of ribs, nice-sized brisket or whatever. Really nice smoke flavors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky